Tamiya's 1/48th P-38F/G Lightning,WWII

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 123 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

i have been so looking forward into start building this kit. I have had it for a year on the to build soon stack I have in my workshop. The main stash is in the house. Now I have since started the Hase P-38J which I have shown on a current WIP. I wanted to finish the He-219 and the Skyraider first before starting work on the P-38F. Then the Japanese GB, Korean War GB and my own Desert Storm GB as well as some other unrelated projects got started. Now I have everything in play to get started. As shown I have already. I reviewed this kit last year in detail with a comparison to the Hase kit. Tamiyas approach is much different than the Hase kit, not that the Hase kit is bad, it's not, it is a very good kit. But you know something a bit better has come along. Most of the reviews have been mostly positive. There have been a few blah's but you know how it is, different strokes for different folks. You cannot please everyone as that is just the way it it. So lets do a quick peek whats in the box and get started.

The kit reviewed was the white boxed pre-production kit. I will be building the production kit which right off the bat the kit is moulded in the darker grey plastic not the light grey. The instruction booklet is typical Tamiya in layout with Tamiya paints called out.

The kit features a masking set for the glass. 2 full color foldouts for the 2 schemes that are featured in the kit,

3 large ball bearings are provided as weights to keep the Lightning standing properly on it's nose gear.

I will be using a new product for the first time for the interior. A new way to enhance the cockpit using decals uniquely applied to components with in the interior by Quinta Studio.

And a set of decals from Xtradecals to build an "F".

Now a quick review of the sprues.

The details are very good. I like working with the medium grey plastic that Tamiya uses on most of their kits. Some are molded in the lighter grey.

The quality of the kit and well thought out process in building this kit is very good. The weights, the canopy masks, even providing the chrome mirrors mounted on the inner engine cowls. Nice touch, though Hasegawa does provide this detail also.

Already started this, so next up is the cockpit, more to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Chuck (@uscusn), once again I have the popcorn ready, am strapped in, leaned back and looking forward to the show! I have encountered P38's twice when I lived in Greenland - first time I met a flying example at Sonderstrom AB, and got to pat it. . - the second time I was to get to the icecap to see the "Glacier Girl" being hoisted up from under the ice, but the DASH-7 that was to take me popped the fuses on number three, and after resetting on the second try it caught fire. Alas, I came a week late but at least I got to see it being loaded onto a ship for the journey to the States, and the rest is history.

Kulusuk, 1993

Sorry to clutter your build like this - guess it is just such a memorable plane? Bring it on!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Erik, actually I welcome such images. So I encourage you to not only indulge me with your images but to the rest who visits this WIP along the way to view them as well. Share your thoughts and images. Keep them coming.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Chuck, @uscusn
    this is going to be an epic build. I have started a build journal that has multiple aircraft types in it, several months to possibly even a year ago. It was the Operation Vengeance Yamamoto mission, and I’m sure that you remember it, because you were very kind and sent me one of these new tool P-38’s shortly after they were released. I started a bunch of different A6M’s, Two Tamiya G4M Betty bombers and then added two of these spectacular Tamiya P-38’s, partly in thanks to your kindness.

Now I can build both the P-38’s that were originally credited with downing the Yamamoto Betty until just recently when forensics conclusively determined it was only one pilot who could have downed the Admiral... Even so, I have plans to build both Lanphier’s and Barber’s P-38’s.

It is a great pleasure to see you start building your P-38. Your recent 3D decal article for these P-38's instrument panel was a good one, and it will be nice to see how this turns out.

Sign me up for watching this one too, and if I can assist you in any way, with color documentation etc., please let me know, as I have a lot of documentation on this stuff.

Erik, @airbum
    That’s an amazing picture of Glacier Girl you posted. You’re a lucky man to have actually been there to see her shortly after she was raised from under the ice. Those colors are remarkably intact and that’s one of the best pictures I’ve seen of her in her original state.

This is going to be fun !

Once I finish my projects that have a deadline then I’ll most likely merge my Operation Vengeance builds over to the Empire of Japan group.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This should be fun, Chuck (@uscusn). I hear this is a great kit, and I think P-38s look really cool in something other than natural metal. Looking forward to the trip!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Wow, what a fantastic start, Chuck @uscusn!

The Tamiya kit rocks! Got the "Beautiful Lass" Hasegawa one to build, I love it, going to build it, but, honestly, the Tamiya is ahead!

Nice 3D decals! I think we will see them more and more often to the future.

I will follow this bulld with excitement, being sure that I will be rewarded with an excellent model and anequally excellent "tutorialized" thread!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Chuck (@uscusn), Louis (@lgardner) - what is more fantastic is how little damage there really is after having been under 80m or so of ice. . . They dug down to one of the B-17's and they were somewhat flatter - but the MG's and the bullets worked when they came up! (I got a shell from when they fired the weapon as they could not take live rounds with them to the states!)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Will definitely follow this thread, Chuck.
    I am also still looking for a nice Lightning and your build might convince me on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Louis, this is one I have been looking forward to build as soon as the kit was announced early in '19. Then getting a hold of the original white pre production box and finally in late 2019 the production kit which is the one I am going to start on.

George, just going over the parts and comparing them to the Academy and Hasegawa kits are quite a difference in approach. Tamiya offers a beautiful kit just looking at the sprues. This will be in OD over NG scheme.

Spiros, it sure does, with this getting started and the Hase kit coming along which will be a challenge to do a bare metal scheme. So hop in and join the ride.

• Profile Photo

Eric, so true how preserved the Lightning was despite being under all that ice. Reading about how difficult was to salvage Glacier Girl. Great story. And you have one great artifact.

John, the Tam Lightning I think you will really like in every way. Get one and build it. Or you can wait to what's next as the "H" is the next release from Tamiya, and hopefully a J or L soon. But I'm hoping for a recon variant maybe.

First off pre-painting the interior components before starting work on the cockpit. This is not Interior Green, that color appears in later variants. This is a mixture of Zinc Chromate Green and a bit of Yellow to get this shade to match the pics that appear on "Glacier Girl. Reading Dana Bell's references also helps to confirm this for this version I am building.

First will start with the Instrument panel. I am building the "F" version so choosing option "B" for the correct panel to use, as Tamiya provides both instrument panels and they are different.

The panel from Tamiya has great details and the option to place decals over the dials and gauges.

As reported will use the new Quinta Studio interior set for this build, as shown with the excellent instrument panel.

The IP that is unique to the P-38 is well detailed using this set from Quinta Studio.

Next to assemble the cockpit.

The floor is a bit different in how the Hasegawa and Academy kit is represented. Tamiya has a hole in the middle of the floor where the nose gear bay hump will protrude through the floor when assembled. Nice touch.

The rear lower bulkhead panel is installed, center console and pump lever.

The side panels are decaled with the new pieces that fit very well for the electrical boxes gauges.

The cockpit floor is enhanced as well.

All the parts ready to assemble the cockpit.

After attaching the LH side panel wall, next is to install the control column.

The control column is painted and also has its own Quinta detail applied. Attached to the cockpit floor and the steering wheel is Gloss Black.

Now the RH side panel is attached, have to say Tamiya's parts lock into place, no fuss and no way to misalign any parts when attaching each piece.

Finally the instrument is installed in place and the cockpit is finished.

Next is to build the seat. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Chuck (@uscusn), that is some stunning details! I got the list from them and will have to add them to my small DK imports store, only there are so many to choose from. They also make vaccum formed canopies that look just as stunning in the pictures.

Congrats on the tub - it is awesome!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Fantastic cockpit, Chuck! You've done a wonderful job so far.
    I love the Quinta stuff!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This cockpit is great, so much detail.
    Never read about Quinta (I'm still a newbie) but this result surely draws my attention.

• Profile Photo

Hi Eric, yes there line is expanding with good coverage and looking forward to what they will produce in the future.

Thanks Spiros, I'm impressed with this set and how easy it is to apply and durability as well. They are quite secure on the part once they set. Unlike PE that can just pop off at times with handling, sanding etc.

Thanks John, it does seem to "pop" a bit more with the Quinta details a bit more than the PE. I'm not going to quit using the zoom sets. Price is competitive with PE so that won't be an issue. May just come down to availability as a project is about to start in which medium to use.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Ditto for me, Chuck (@uscusn). Now I will have to try one the Quinta instrument panels. The instrument panel is what draws your eyes when you look at a model, and these look really cool.