Tamiya's 1/48th P-38F/G Lightning,WWII

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 123 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very good progress made Chuck. Your photo WIP is the best around for those (probably few, like me) that don’t own this kit. It’s a great incentive to open wallets 😉

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Fully agree that those wheelbays are gems of their own, Chuck.
    Finished this kit last month and I can confirm everything you wrote down.
    Very nice washes and paintwork.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck,
    It has been a while since I have commented on your work. You have been busy and the project is looking good. Keep it coming !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I also do not own this kit, and I do not know why!
    This is amazing work on this amazing kit, Chuck @uscusn!
    Once again, thanks for the detailed posting, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That is one well engineered well! What a great way to get all those intricate parts work together to make a complex looking bay easy to assemble.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks guys, for a company that gives just enough detail to build a real good model, really did a little more on the P-38. They could've easily went the Hase/Academy way in the wheel bays. Not on the Lightning, they really stepped up and yet not over engineered the process to achieve a well detailed busy looking wheel bay.

This session we start on the engine/tail booms. And you thought the wheel bays were nice. We ain't done yet!

The "F" style lower intakes are gems on there own. A separate piece that allows some very nice details to appear with the tunnel and intake grilles being well detailed compared to the 1 piece in the Academy "E". Can't say on the Hase F/G kit as I have not seen their arrangement.

The intake splitter is installed.

The upper intake half will have the forward and rear ward facing grilles installed.

The intake grilles are well detailed.

The intake ducting are painted Neutral Grey, Grilles steel and Zinc Chromate Yellow, though you won't be able to see the Yellow once the intake screens are installed.

Once the screens are installed. Next is to place the assembly into the lower intake panel.

The lower panel has again well defined details.

The intakes are completed and next up is to assemble the booms and install the sub assemblies.

More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    So much details to like on this kit.
    I still remember that these intakes fit flawlessly into the fuselage as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks well engineered!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I am really impressed by that Tam engineering, as well as by your skills, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years ago:

Thanks John So far this has been a nice well thought out process in assembling this kit. A very enjoyable build so far.
    Thanks Erik it is in many ways.
    That Spiros is my thoughts exactly.
    Now time to assemble the booms.

All the sub assemblies prior to building each boom will now come together when building each side boom assemblies.

First with the wheel bays. A model within the model.

Once the bay is placed into the RH side bay half, the ball bearing weight is then placed into each wheel bay assembly. Still an excellent feat of engineering in Tamiya's part in incorporating this feature.

Both halves snap in place, wheel bay is locked in place and in alignment.

Now to install the air intakes in front lower portion of the booms/engine nacelles.

Now both booms are now installed to each side wings. Contact points on each boom to the wing is flawless.

The seams follow natural panel lines and will not need much to clean them.

Now to work on the wing details.

Tell tale sign that Tamiya may have more Lightning variants in the works with the separate wing tips. So each side are assembles and attached.

Next are the ailerons. These are in upper and lower halves.

They can be posed if so choosing, I left them neutral position. Again excellent fit.

Now on the booms the lower boom intake panels are installed.

The side scoops are left off for now until after painting the interior of the scoops.

Next up to install the stabs and rudders, and complete the rest of the boom details.
    more to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking absolutely fabulous, my friend @uscusn!
    Kudos to Tam engineers and to your skills: this is simply amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

Great pictorial so far Chuck. The engineering of the kit really shines

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Looking at your picutres @uscusn, I still remember my build and what a joy it was to assemble it.
    Wondering how these engineers were able to get their design to fit to perfectly.
    Your making great progress.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

This is a great-looking build that seems to be moving along quickly, Chuck (@uscusn). The twin booms can be tough to get right, but yours look perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros, yea Tamiya hit a grand slam with this one. Looking forward to the new F-4 and hoping for a P-38J/L next.

Thanks Pedro, the fit is so precise, that you don't need cement/glue on some parts.

John, your Lightning was superb. Tell me that you wouldn't mind building another one.

George, Tamiya's process is fool proof, unlike the Academy, Hasegawa and the others, almost impossible to screw this portion of the build. Honestly though I didn't seem to have a problem with either the Academy or the Hasegawa booms.