Tamiya's 1/48th P-38F/G Lightning,WWII

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 123 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

It has been awhile since the last update on the Tam Lightning. Going to finish up on the tail boom details.

The rudders are beautiful separate parts that can be post deflected to the right of left if you wish. The 1 piece horizontal stab just snaps into the boom. Then the rudders are then attached.

The fit is flawless. Excellent thought and engineering went into this process, locking all the parts in place and in alignment

Now to install the boom intake covers. The interior is painted OD. As well as the interior part on the tails booms.

Then the 4 pieces are attached, Again excellent fit.

The weapon pylons are then assembled and attached to the inner wing panels.

May go with a bomb load out on this version when I get to the point of attaching them towards the end of the build.

Finally the side intake scoops. Are assembled.

Then attached to each side of the booms

more to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a great progress of what it continously proves to be a very well engineered kit, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Glad to see this is still proving to be a well engineered kit Chuck. Nice progress on the booms.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Moving right along, Chuck (@uscusn). I always remember to paint the interior of intakes, scoops, etc after I have glued them to the fuselage. You would think I would remember from kit to kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    I do recognize the fragile pieces of the landing gear at this stage of the build.
    During my own build I worried a bit about those but all went fine in the end.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros, sorry for the long lay off on this P-38, making good progress then stopped for a bit, time to resume.

Eric, thanks, Tamiya's engineering is flawless in tackling the issue of the booms. There isn't any on this kit.

George, yes a must as these can be seen once assembled and difficult to paint if you forget prior in getting the exterior components installed.

John, at this point of the build, those actuators can easily get broken off. There is still quite a bit of handling involved. So one must be careful for the rest of the build not to do that.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Getting back into the saddle again literally puts us back in the cockpit.

Assemble the seat armor plate and brace.

Then install the armor plate into the cockpit. Precise fit.

The headrest is painted Leather and attached to the armor plate.

The seat mounting brace is attached to the seat and then installed into the cockpit.

Now for some glass work. The windshield is crystal clear.

The armor glass and sight is attached to the windscreen. The unique design allows to attach it in such a way to minimize smearing the glass with cement or fingerprints.

The rear glass, like the windshield is moulded in such a way as blending into part of the fuselage and much easier to attach when time install it.

The fit is flawless.

Now the front windscreen is installed. The fit is precise once again. Kudos to Tamiya.

Next up masking off the glass.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking real sharp, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great steps, Chuck @uscusn
    Agree on the kudos, those Tamiya engineers definitely deserve them a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That office looks very nice indeed Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Carle said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I have to say your build brings back one of my favorite modeling memories! This kit is just the best, and I look at my P-38 almost every day and smile! Glad you are doing such a great job and documenting it!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The canopy engineering and fit look like the real thing, Chuck (@uscusn). It looks like you are getting close to paint and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking great so far. The Tamiya P-38 is probably the best made WWII kit in its scale, more like putting together lego than a model kit at some points.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

As you're demonstrating, it's impossible to go wrong with this kit - and it's the only one I've ever done that I will say that about.

Nice work on the cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like it is a very nice kit - and of course your usual attention brings the best out in the build. I really liked the seatbelts!