Target tug, F-84G Thunderjet

Started by Stellan Schroeder Englund · 4 · 8 years ago · F-84G, Target tug, Thunderjet
  • Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Hi all! I signed up to iModeler a long time ago , but since then I have only checked other postings. This will be my first own. It will serve as a test but also to see if I can gain anything (like a whip/carrot...) from posting here.

Now, the model is Tamiya´s Republic F-84G Thunderjet in 1/48 scale. Had it for long as I always found the Korean War era jets fascinating. The NMF has held me back though and I almost sold it earlier this year, now I´m glad I didn´t. Never considered myself a serious aviation modeller I thought " why not give it a chance and see what I could do with it", so now I have begun snipping parts and gluing them together. To get away from the NMF theme I will go for an all yellow plane. Now what, you may think, who ever painted such a beauty in all yellow? Have no idea if it ever was but I will paint and dress it up as a Swedish target tug from the 60´s. Swedish target tugs have been yellow since after WW 2 and they have been favourites of mine for ever. SAAB B 17, Douglas Skyraider, Gloster Meteor, Miles Martinet, Fairey Firefly and De Havilland Venom were all flown in a yellow livery in Swedish service.

So far I´ve painted the cockpit area and some minor bits and pieces, cleaned upp all other parts and closed up the fuselage. Now it´s just the rest to do...

This text and photos were first posted in Aviation, that was before I understood there is a better category for work-in-progress.. Live and learn. Keeping the first post though as there was a few comments to keep.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Stellan, I like target tugs, too. Can't top them for something that really stands out. Add them black stripes the British and Commonwealth air forces add to it, and it really pops!

Takes a fair amount of intestinal fortitude to fly around towing a sleeve whilst tyro gunners shoot in your general direction. Sometimes there is confusion as to what the target is! Not a good thing!

Is the Marivox Saab B 17 still available? What a neat airplane!

Looking forward to seeing this finished, certainly a first for me, anyhow. Great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Bernard, thanks for your comment. Not sure about the black stripes but I get what you mean. Any target tug will stand out in a collection at home. The B 17 s still around and shouldbe possible to find, check Rebell for example http://www.rebell.com/saab-b17.html. Should really get on with the F-84 again, it sort of hit a hard wall as I went back to some other half built kits but as they are nearing completion I will get on with my target tug again. The IPMS Stockholm competition, 08 Open, will be in mid April so I better hurry up with just about all ongoing builds.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Stellan, thanks for the suggestion about Rebell, I've seen their ads in magazines.
    Some civil outfit in Germany had Seafurys and Canberras in overall red doing tow targets, back in the 60s-70s.
    I've often thought that target tow aircraft would make an interesting theme collection.