Three Me 262s

Started by Michael Turner · 132 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Dragon, Hobby Boss, Me-262, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice progress with the Hobby Boss, Michael.
    Don't really mind, but wouldn't expect misalignment issues at such a new mainstream kit.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

It could just be user error. The plastic didn't seem to react to the liquid glue as well as the Dragon and Tamiya kits, too.
    But, I think the moulding is not quite as crisp and precise as the Tamiya. Still much, much better than the Dragon.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I have seen glues, both regular and liquid, that didn't seem to react "normally" to a specific kit. I usually notice it most with kits that have been sitting in my garage for 30 or 40 years, especially on old Italeri kits, but no scientific evidence of why.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

After a bit of a pause I've made a bit more progress on the builds.

First, the Hobby Boss kit;

I added a black box in the main wheel well that was missing but was on the Tamiya and Dragon kits.
    I added yellow electrical cabling in the main wheel well, in part to draw the eye away from the slightly rough areas where the cockpit mounting tabs were removed. This was much harder than I anticipated and looks a bit messy. I was going to do the same on the other two jets, but decided it was more effort than it was worth.
    I added both elevator and aileron control rods. These are small things, but it is curious that none of the kits have them (although the Dragon kit does have the aileron rod).
    The internal armoured windscreen is too long and sits a bit too high. I added a thin bit of plastic card, as you can see in the pictures, to lower it a bit.
    Curiously, Hobby Boss molds the gunsight in solid grey plastic. As the aircraft I'm modelling had it's gun removed, I reasoned that the gunsight would have been removed as well. On the real aircraft, this slots into a tube mounted above the instrument panel, and the gunsight may be dismounted to improve the forward view for landing. So, I mounted the gunsight and cut it off just in front of the instrument panel.
    I replaced the lost seatbelt.
    I added some plastic card as this aircraft had the deeper rudder trim tab.
    The wings fit quite well to the fuselage with a few small gaps requiring filler here and there. The fit is not quite flush underneath the fuselage, but the fuel tanks were designed to be dropped out of the fuselage so the fit of these panels were probably a little rough anyway.
    I cut the solid wing tip formation lights off and will replace them with shaped clear sprue later.
    I painted the inside of the camera ports with clear smoke to hide the non-representative interior without making the windows look solid.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next, the Tamiya kit;

I added elevator and aileron control rods inside the main wheel well.
    I added yellow painted wires to the rear of the instrument panel.
    The fit of the wing to the fuselage is great with no filler needed along the upper wing roots, but a little filler required underneath. The shape of the forward fuel tank is just a little more curved than the front fuselage, but I more or less left this alone. Again, noting that the fit of these panels was probably a bit rough, plus, the aircraft I modeling had a replacement nose, presumably after the original had been damaged, possibly by an nose wheel collapse.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And the Dragon kit;

I've made a bit of progress on the cockpit but haven't attached the wings yet.
    I'll post photos when I have.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

You will have a fleet of 262s soon, Michael (@michaelt). I am looking forward to seeing the camouflage you put on these. Your detail work is flawless. Great job.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Really good progress, Michael.
    A 262 is still on my wish list, so I will follow your triple build and see which suites best for me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice progress Michael @michaelt!
    I love all these small or not so small etails you add here and there. Your builds are looking superb!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

And so to the Dragon kit:

The pilot seat comes in two parts with the seat pan having a molded in seat cushion. However, the pilot would have had a seat parachute that fitted in the seat pan, so I ground the cushion out using my mini drill.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The fit of the wing to fuselage is a problem on the under side of this kit so I had the brilliant idea of gluing a tab to the rear of the lower wing. This worked well when dry fitted. But at this point I didn't have the fuselage tub added to either the fuselage or wing structure.

The problem is, that with the rear bulkhead attached to the wing, the wing needs to be inserted vertically and I was trying to insert it at an angle to get the tab in under the rear fuselage surface.

I had to remove the tab and added it to the fuselage instead.

Still, I couldn't get a good fit of the wing to the fuselage because the cockpit tub, which I had glued to the wing, was causing interference.

I detached the tub from the wing and, with a bit of judicious trimming managed to get it to fit to the fuselage.

Note that I added some yellow painted copper wire to the rear of the instrument panel and seen in the pictures below.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Another problem I discovered was with the slots for the horizontal tails. These are off centre, leading to the tails sitting too high. So, I trimmed the lower edge of the slots down and packed the top of the tail tabs with slivers of sprue. Then the tails fit very neatly, without any steps to the fuselage fairings.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I finally got the wing attached, although I had to do a significant bit of shaping and filling of the wing to fuselage join on the underside. One issue was that the port wing root fairing was deeper than the wing thickness. I aligned the upper wing surface to the fairing and then did some heavy duty reshaping with a file and scalpel blade on the under surface.
    Other areas requiring filling and sanding are indicated on the pictures below.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Seems like it is giving you a good fight! Very nice solutions to the different challenges Michael (@michaelt)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This one does not seem to cooperate that easily.
    Eventualy your hard work came along real nice.