Three Me 262s

Started by Michael Turner · 132 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Dragon, Hobby Boss, Me-262, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Tamiya Me 262A-1a
    This one is about 95% done.
    I was painting/attaching the landing gear when the clock struck midnight.
    Plus there were a few other details to be added/painted.
    I'm still mastering the airbrush and had a few moments of concern achieving what is a complex scheme, but am happy with the result.
    I'll finish this one off now, given it missed the competition deadline.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I'll take more photos of the three and post them soon.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Michael, @michaelt
    You have done a wonderful job with these builds. Completing something within a specified time always seems to have a few problems along the way... You have managed to not only build 2.95 Me-262's, but they look exceptionally nice, even more so when you consider you are learning how to operate a new airbrush. Good luck with your contest. I'm looking forward to seeing the next set of photos.

Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great looking 262's, Michael.
    They will be looking wonderful in the competition.
    To my opinion you are mastering your airbrush very well.
    All of them are not easy camouflage patterns but you applied it perfectly.

• Profile Photo

Stop the press:
    I've just been informed that we now have until Sunday's virtual meeting to complete the builds.
    That also gives me a chance to complete my 1/72 Revell Ju 88 (see other build thread) for the annual “Build a B#%@#$” competition too.

• Profile Photo

and thankyou all for your kind comments and encouragement.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Michael @michaelt!
    Congratulations on your builds! And, what an unexpected surprise to have a new deadline on Sunday!
    So, not only the third Shwalbe will be finished, but also the Ju 88?
    This has been a wonderul thread and I cannot wait for for the fil=nal posting(s).

• Profile Photo

Finally, I've completed my three builds.
    I'll post more pictures soon...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Those are three great 262's. Well done and thank you for sharing Michael (@michaelt).

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice trio Michael, hard to tell which one looks nicer

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

This was a wonderful modeling trip, Michael @michaelt!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this build with us, Michael.
    All three to me are absolute winners.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo

Three Me 262s together

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Given the rush to get these three kits done, I haven't detailed the final steps in this blog.
    So, I decided to recap the initial impressions and issues I've documented and add descriptions of the final touches for each aircraft in turn.

Dragon Me 262A-1a/U4:
    – There is some flash on parts, but that is easily dealt with.
    – There are some sink marks and warping of parts, particularly lower rear port fuselage half.
    – Although moulded as a single piece, the U4 nose/fuselage join requires sanding smooth and a bit of filler on both fuselage halves.
    – The gun bay is detailed and has a good representation of the cannon breach mand magazine, much of which won’t be seen anyway, but the gun cover panel fit is poor and requires some trimming.
    – Etched metal seatbelts are included.
    – The instrument panel is good but has no instrument decals so needs to be painted.
    – As it has a tricycle undercarriage, the kit requires lead weights in the nose to prevent tail sitting.– The port wing root fairing is deeper than the wing thickness.
    – The lower rear wing/fuselage join is problematic.
    – The tailplane slots sit slightly too high so I opened them a little to get the tailplanes to fit correctly.
    – The front engine nacelle/wing fit is poor and required reshaping.
    – When Dragon took over the Trimaster moulds, they replaced the white-metal parts, including the landing gear, with plastic pieces. Unfortunately, they failed to realise that the nose landing gear leg for the U4 is not the standard aircraft leg as it rotates 90 deg as it retracts and has different gear cover attachment requirements. Dragon supply the standard leg which therefore needs some modification.
    – I replaced the rubber tyres with True Details wheel set, although I reduced the amount of the bulges so that they didn’t look like they are flat.
    – The nose gear main doors are a butt-fit attachment to the fuselage with etched metal actuator struts that don’t fit. I only knocked one of them off before I finished.
    – Inner undercarriage doors have vague location/attachment points and etched metal actuator struts. I took a leaf out of the Hobby Boss and Tamiya kits and glued a small, thin wedge of plastic between them and then joined them together and then attached them in place as a single piece. I added the actuators after this.
    – The main undercarriage leg attachment is an awful design, being barely more than a butt-fit attachment. The main gear covers are also difficult to attach and required some trimming to fit correctly.
    – I replaced the lost port aileron etched metal control rod with flattened brass wire.
    – I drilled out the gun muzzle flash holes and reshaped the tip to match photos.
    – After repeatedly knocking the kit part off, I added the lower aft aerial using a short section of a dressmaking pin.
    – The lower whip aerial mast is very close to the starboard main wheel and would prevent it from retracting. I’m not sure if that is my fault.
    – I added a short section of thin copper wire to the rear canopy and attached aerial wire using Infini Model Fine (0.082mm) Aero Black Rigging line, the first time I’ve used this product.
    Colours:
    RLM 81 Brown-Violet and RLM 82 Bright Green over RLM 76 Light Blue.
    The nose is RLM 82 Dark Green over RLM 02 Grey-Green.
    The German national markings are over painted with RLM 71 Dark Green.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here are a couple of photos of the real thing:

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.