Three P-40s

Started by Michael Turner · 63 · 10 months ago · 1/48, Airfix, Hasegawa, Kittyhawk, P-40B, P-40E, RAAF, Tomahawk
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I have 2 kits nearly done, 3 more under way and several on pause.
    So, naturally, I decided to start another project.
    These 3 P-40s will be RAAF/Australian flown aircraft and are to be part of a club themed display later in the year.
    They are:

1. An Airfix 1/48 P-40B Tomahawk IIB
    2. A Hasegawa 1/48 P-40E Kittyhawk IA
    3. Another Hasegawa 1/48 P-40E Kittyhawk IA

A bit of research on "Curtiss Interior Green" led me to selecting Gunze H81 Khaki as a close match (to my eye, and without requiring mixing colours) with a few highlights in H80 Khaki Green.

The Hasegawa kit uses inserts - the rear fuselage and rear quarter window section in particular, which is very annoying. I chose to glue these to each fuselage side to get the best fit and then sand the halves smooth for joining.

The Airfix kit looks to be complete and a simpler build, except that it lacks the RAF gunsight - I'll scratch build this later.

Still, I'm hoping that these will be relatively quick builds...

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @michaelt! Your interior "green" choice looks very realistic: if the shade looks right, it probably is right. Indeed the Hasegawa inserts are annoying and can lead to spme mismatch. Your approach seems the most effective, as it eliminates mismatch.
    Looking forward to them!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

An excellent project on the way, Michael @michaelt
    Those interiors do already look amazing.
    Looking forward to the progress.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

They all look great, Michael.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Off to a good start. Strapped in here.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Interior looks really good, Michael (@michaelt). I am looking forward to your paint schemes on these three models. Interior colors looks perfect. What is it with Airfix and gunsights? I just finished a Sea Fury and it didn't have a gunsight at all. I am sure your replacement will be more than suitable. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

G'day George (@gblair),

Yes, gunsights on the P-40 are a curious thing.

The US P-40B/C has a gunsight projector on the floor of the cockpit with the reflector glass in front of the armoured glass.

The kit provides this with the second windscreen having a rectangle etched into it.

In retrospect, I should have removed the projector on the cockpit floor - it is the central pin that attaches the instrument panel/rudder pedal assembly to the floor in the kit.

See the pictures 3/4 of the way down this page https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011080-airfix-p-40b-tomahawk-148th-its-arrived/page/5/

This arrangement presented problems, principally with airframe flexing.

The British added a conventional, single unit gunsight to their aircraft.

It is curious that Airfix missed this in their research for the kit.

• Profile Photo

OK, so the has been a fair bit of progress, after a lot of research on P-40 variants.
    In 1942, the RAAF took delivery of 163 P-40Es Kittyhawk 1As in Australia.
    They were actually a mix of P-40E and P-40E-1.

First up is the P-40E-1/Kittyhawk Ia.
    The "dash 1" refers to P-40Es built to UK specifications.
    They had two blue formation lights either side of the cockpit and one ID light on the spine behind the cockpit and one lower starboard behind the flaps. They may have had a British gun camera mounted under in a fairing under the starboard wing - mine does not.
    Also fitted were a ring and bead gunsight mounted to starboard on the cowling.
    The Hasegawa kit provides for all of these features.
    The P-40E-1 was also fitted with a RAF Sutton harness for the pilot.
    The kit includes a later model P-40 gun camera in the starboard undercarriage fairing that had to be filled and sanded - it would have been nice had Hasegawa provided an alternative part here.

Next is a P-40E.
    Naturally enough, this didn't have any of the above features, so they had to either not be installed, or removed from the kit. So, more filling and sanding to eliminate the unwanted lights.
    I'm not sure about the gun camera in the u/c fairing yet.
    The RAAF did install Sutton harnesses (instead of the USAAF lap belts) when they took delivery.

The various inserts - tail, fuselage aft of cockpit, wing gun barrels - are tedious to attach and eliminate seams.
    Also, the inserts are not quite the right size, so filling and sanding is required to adjust things.
    I can't wait for Eduard to release a series of P-40s that are version specific - one can't help but think they saw these types of multi-version-through-inserts kits and determined it was just as cost effective to take the approach they have.

Also, there are two sink marks under the wing that I only just noticed, plus numerous raised circles that seem to correspond to internal ejector pins on both the top and bottom wing surfaces. I've sanded these back where I can.

Lastly is the P-40B/C Tomahawk I/II (I'm not certain yet which version the aircraft I'm building is).
    The difference between the two is that the latter was plumbed for a drop tank/bomb.
    This will be an Australian flown RAF aircraft in the Western Desert.
    The RAF/RAAF aircraft had Sutton harnesses and RAF installed gunsights, which I will have to scratch build.
    Detail on this kit is good, but the fit is not up to some of their other kits and requires some effort to remove seams, not to mention the ejector pin marks right in the centre of the otherwise excellently done wheel wells.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This is a superb job allover, my friend @michaelt, backed up with equally superb research! I agree with the "inserts situation", they do cause a lot of concern and their cost savings are questionable. Also the visible ejector and sink marks make me wonder if they can be avoided (the former during kit design, the latter by letting more cooling time during molds separation).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Impressive progress, Michael @michaelt

Your research on those aircraft is definitely going to help to create a perfect copy of them. Those sink marks are always adding a lot of undesired work and I think they can absolutely be avoided during the molding process. I also wonder if the quality department checks for them after the molding process and makes a correction of the process based on the outcome.

• Profile Photo

I checked the seams of the P-40E-1 and while the tail and rear fuselage insert are good, I need to do a bit more work on the centrelines and the gun barrel inserts.
    I suspect the P-40E will be similar.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

The Tomahawk requires a gunsight.

In a moment of inspiration I realised that I have the Eduard Spitfire Mk.I dual boxing and I intend to build one as a early aircraft with the ring and bead sight.

So, I grabbed the spare reflector gun sight!

I just need to add the curved mounting struts.

The instructions neglect to mention the antenna mast that the British added to their aircraft, even though it is included in the kit and there is a hole in the spine to be opened. So, I had to measure out the location and drill a hole to mount it.

I was right that the P-40E had similar problems to the E-1, so I've tried to fix these.

I'm still not 100% happy with the rear fuselage join on either aircraft, so I'll need to do a bit more work, I think.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

From here all looking superb, my friend @michaelt! Great gunsight!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great progress, Michael @michaelt
    The gunsight does indeed look very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I just noticed this on the weekend - the rudder trim tab is only scribed on the starboard side.
    Easily enough fixed, but perhaps not easily noticed.
    I had already noticed the sink marks on the port side, but this is not a simple fix.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.