Three Spitfires + 1

Started by Michael Turner · 71 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Gunna Build, RAAF, Spitfire, Spitfire Mk Vc, Spitfire Mk VIII
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

The almost completed cockpits.
    The Eduard parts fit very well, although the rear cockpit frames seem to lean forward slightly. I put that down to user error.
    The Special Hobby parts are good, but not quite as neat a fit.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Beautiful IPs and cockpits, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@michaelt - Nice work. Having just completed the Eduard Mk. Vc - and having done a couple of the SH kits (one a Vc, the other a Seafire III, but they're basically the same kit) - I can say that the Eduard blows the older SH out of the water (but you knew that, just comparing the one you have to the two Eduard kits). Nevertheless, as you demonstrate, you'll be getting the maximum out of the kit. Just don't sit it too close to the Eduards, the comparison isn't even a competition.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Very nice looking interiors, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looks great, Michael (@michaelt). They look like your pilots will be right at home there. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It has been some time since I posted to this blog, but I have been making progress.

First, the Mk Vc.
    The first photo shows how poor the wing-root fit is and the undersized fuel cap forward of the cockpit.
    The second shows the filler and lots of sanding required.
    The third shows the under side. The kit has a plug under the rear fuselage which allows an alternative part for the Seafire version. The fit of this is better than I expected, but still required a lot of filler and sanding. You can see that I need to sand down part of this after having to apply more filler when I accidentally popped the seam.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Second, the first of the Mk. VIIIs.

I attached the upper and lower wing parts first and then attached the completed wing to the fuselage, as per the instructions
    Fit of the parts in general was pretty good, although a bit of putty was required along the top and bottom centreline.
    The wing roots are fine, although the leading edge has a thin gap.
    However, there was a substantial gap on the underside where the wing almost met the fuselage.
    The upper cowling is not glued on yet - I'll paint the aircraft, add the exhausts and then glue this on.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The second Mk.VIII.
    This time I decided to take Tom's advice and not assemble the wings before attaching them to the fuselage.
    I attached the top port wing to the lower wing part and then attached that to the fuselage.
    I'm not sure why, but I ended up with a step at the rear, lower join.
    So, I wouldn't advise anyone to do it that way in future.
    I suspect that having only one upper wing surface attached caused the wing to skew slightly.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Nice progress, Michael @michaelt
    You performed good looking corrections, especially on the Vc, what an impressive gap that was.

• Profile Photo

G'day John (@johnb),
    The gap is not a s bad as it may appear - I've put far to much putty on it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

All looking great, my friend @michaelt!
    Thanks for sharing all this info regarding build details and challenges.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

OK, so it has been a while since my last update.
    The news is;

• The club competition is now restricted to one entry per person to reduce the time taken for the judging of the kits during the meeting
    • Judging will take place at the February 2022 meeting
    • Evidence of completion of the kit is required by 11:59pm on 31/12/2021

So, 1 kit to finish by New Year's Eve.

I've been busily painting over the last two days.
    The temperature today is 33 deg C (92 deg F) and tomorrow is expected to be 38 deg C (100 deg F) and I airbrush outside...

So, here are some pics of the Spitfire Mk VIII that I intend to complete...

The first is the kit ready to paint yesterday.
    The next two show the pre-shading (and partly painted before I thought to take a photo).

• Profile Photo

The next photo shows the painted underside
    The RAAF received the Spitfires fully camouflages (RAF paints) and with British markings. These markings were painted out using the nearest RAAF equivalent colours and RAAF Blue/White rondels applied.
    So, the next photo shows these RAAF colours applied to the location of the British markings.
    Eduard helpfully supplies pre-cut masks to cover these colours, as shown in the next photo.

• Profile Photo

The next four photos show the RAF camouflage applied and the difference between the RAF/RAAF colours.
    The rear fuselage was also painted RAAF Dark Sea Grey (actually RAF Dark Sea Grey) to cover the British serial and Sky fuselage band.
    The tail is roughly camouflaged because it will be painted white (see below).
    Eduard don't supply a mask for the light patch under the nose so I had to cut one myself.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The previous photos show the RAF yellow outer wing leading edge was also painted on - this will show through the RAF white leading edge...
    These two photos show the painting of the white tail and wing leading edge having applied the 'salt method'.
    This is the first time I've tried this.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.