Trumpeter's F-100F, and my first post to the site!

Started by Josh Patterson · 1 · 10 years ago · f-100F, Gabreski, natural metal finish, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 2 months ago:

As mush as I like the old Monogram F-100, this kit was just engineered so much better in terms of a natural metal finish aircraft! I have used absolutely no filler at all othe than glue used during assembly. Some may cringe, but I still build major structures with good old tube glue! It acts as my cement and filler! I get a small bead to stand proud of the seam, let dry and a swipe of the the Xact-0 and some light sanding and presto! I'm done!

This kit has a couple of firsts for me. The first time I've ever replaced decals with paint. The tail was painted red and white and the arrows were cut out of the decal and applied individually. (I just wish I had done the nose the same way, the red in the decal is a little lighter than the Guards Red I sprayed!) It is also the first time I have made a decal. The fuselage stripes on the sheet have black where the blue and green now reside. (Don't know if it's right, but Dean Cutshall's F-100F is that way and the shield on the tail has blue and green. (That's where I picked up the colors to swap in my computer!)

I opened up the main gear doors as this is how I see most F-100s parked, and it would be a shame to hide all that awesome detail Trumpeter put in there! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to go about painting the tanks!

This would be done by now, but Airfix's awesome Javelin harpooned this project!

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.