US Navy Spitfire Mk.Vb at D-Day: 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk. Vb Weekend Kit

Started by George R Blair Jr · 224 · 2 months ago · 1/32, D-Day, Hobby Boss, Spitfire Mk Vb, VOS-7
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great that things worked out nicely on the wing roots, my friend @gblair! Great overall progress, as well!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). Things definitely worked out well. Hopefully my luck will continue.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair - The solution to attachingthe weings to the fuselage is to attsach the lower wing to the fuselage,get it nice and tight, then attsach the upp[er wings, gluing to the fuselage and moving out to the wingtips. I notice you also didn't completely get rid of the sprue nubs on the inboard mating surfaces of the upper wing to fuselage. IT IS CRUCIAL to get rid of the sprue nubs and have the mating surfaces absolutely smooth. Otherwise nothing fits,.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Glad to see the wing roots look quite okay now, George @gblair
    Just a bit of smoothing to be done.

• Profile Photo

Hi John (@johnb) and Tom (@tcinla). Things are moving along now. I had contemplated attaching the bottom of the wing first, but I have never been comfortable with it, so I built the wings, then attached them. In retrospect, it was a mistake. I think I went back and got the nubs you are talking about. It is really a tightrope walk when you remove the nubs. You want to be sure to get them, but not to take off too much of the very precise mating surface. I will have to think about what happened with the wings. I did a test fit before I glued and everything was fine. Then I glued everything together and used masking tape to hold everything in place while it dried. When I pulled the tape off the next day, everything was wonky. The only thing I can think of was that I pulled some of the tape too tight and it pulled everything out of alignment. I have the ProfiPack version of this kit, so I want to finish this model, then try again and see if I can get a better result. Next time I will attach the bottom of the wing first. :o)

• Profile Photo

My granddaughter is spending the day with us tomorrow, so I have been busy cleaning up my hobby room. She is 3 years old and has no interest in plastic models, but she does like to watch the trains on my train layout. I did get a few appendages glued on to the bottom of the wing. Anyone happen to know if the rear flap on the underwing radiator was open or closed on the ground? I will check some photos tonight to see if I can figure it out. This is a clipped wing Spitfire, and Eduard gives you a choice of clear or gray plastic wingtips. I decided to use the clear, but they were so clear that it was hard to see the tab that goes into the slot on the wing. Cheers everyone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Radiator flaps were open as necessary for cooling. When just landed and shut down, they would be open.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten).

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla). It would seem to make sense they would be open on the ground, but sometimes my experience in jets doesn't translate very well to things with pistons. You have saved me a bunch of time researching the answer. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

The details are really nice, George @gblair
    Enjoy your day together with your granddaughter, sounds like you have a exhausting day ahead.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). Hopefully some modeling today, but you are right about playing with a 3 year old. I will need a nap after.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    I am happy to see that once again applying brute force has worked. Keep in mind I normally don't swear and this hobby of ours is supposed to be fun when you read these next few sentences... 😉

I can't tell you how many times I have had to use a lot of brute force when trying to get a part to fit correctly. My 1/48 Monogram "Brubaker" Panther jet was one of these times.

This is the first picture I have posted of it on Imodeler I think. It was built for the Imodeler at the Movies group several years ago. I still need to post it in the headlines section.

Normally these kits go together well, but I bought mine secondhand at a well known online bidding website that starts with an E and ends with Bay. I'm guessing the kit was left in the sun or a hot attic / garage long enough to distort the plastic just enough...sometime before I purchased it.

So I went through a similar situation with it. Clamping , gluing, swearing a bit, clamping , gluing swearing some more, clamping, gluing, and ready to throw the model against the wall, then stomp on it's remains, and then back to clamping and swearing again. Finally I was the victor and beat it into submission.

I would back up Tom Cleaver's comments about the radiator doors. I have read a story about one such Spitfire that had to land in German occupied territory after receiving battle damage. The pilot made sure the radiator doors were closed, and he also lowered the flaps in an effort to over heat the engine so that it would not be flyable.

As Tom mentioned, I would think the doors were opened and closed as needed while on the ground to cool the engine adequately.

Wowza ! I never realized Eduard also included to cooling pipes on the radiators. That is some impressive detailing. I knew about the clear landing light option with the square wingtips. I believe you made the correct choice with that. Clear lights often look better, unless the real aircraft had a colored lens installed. Going from memory I believe the Spitfire had clear covers over the wing tip lights.

I would have to take a nap too, if I was watching a 3 year old. They have energy that keeps going and going and going, sort of like the Energizer bunny. I don't know how we were able to raise our children when we were young.

That's it ! We were young ! Ding Ding Ding rings the bell ! Give this genius a Darwin Award says the announcer holding the microphone ...

I am happy to hear that she is enjoying your HO train layout. Looking back at my childhood, spending time with my Grandpa is some of the most cherished events from this time. I'm sure she will feel the same way many years from now when she looks back at how you spent time with her too. You are a good man, and even better grandpa.

I will definitely be watching for your next episode... after you take a nap of course. Wink Wink 😉

I would have to take a nap as well. Kids have a tendency to wear you out after a while. For the reasons I mentioned above.

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis (@lgardner): Just got back from game day at the kid's house. We go over every Sunday and play a board game, like Clue, Life, etc. We also have lunch, and of course, there is some play time with my granddaughter before she takes her nap. Got a little done on the Spit today. I hope to be ready to start painting tomorrow. I have a bunch of Eduard kits but this is the first I have actually built. When I was teaching, both high school and college at the same time, I discovered I had very little time for modeling. So, for 20 years I was buying the nice kits like Eduard and storing them away for when I had more time to give them the attention they deserved. So now I have all of these really nice kits, but I am not sure my skills have become good enough to do them justice. Eduard kits respond to a soft, precise touch, but on this kit I got in a hurry and tried to hamfist my way through it. I am paying the price now with parts I should have paid more attention to when I was gluing them. I have bought quite a few old models from places like Ebay, oldmodelkits.com, and Rareplane-Detective. I have never had a problem with any of them. On Ebay, I tend to buy only new, unopened kits, but that wouldn't prevent damage due to poor storage. I built the same Panther a while ago and it was OK. I suspect you are right that it suffered with some maltreatment over the years. When I buy old kits, even unopened new kits, I always plan on buying new decals. The only problem I ever have is that these old kits often don't have canopy masks available, and there is nothing I hate more than doing my own masking. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

@gblair: Here''s an idea I had about getting the "temporary look" to D-Day stripes. I airbrush the white for the stripes so it is thin and a little patchy. Then mask off and paint all the rest. When done, unmask the white stripes, take a paintbrush and apply white thinned 60-40 thiner-paint. Do it "sloppy" with uneven hand-painted demarcation between black/white and leave "brush marks," and let it dry. You then have "temporary" brush-applied stripes.

• Profile Photo

Hi, Tom (@tcinla): I like it. I will give it a try to see how it does. It looks like the stripes would be applied over the completed camo, in much the same way that the actual stripes were applied. I have photos of the actual plane with the D-Day stripes applied. I may try to replicate the look on the plane. I think I will use Tamiya Flat White for the initial painting, then use Vallejo for the brush paint. I wonder if brush painting with unthinned ModelAir would work just as well. Ah, more experiments. Thanks for passing the idea along.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.