WB Laird Super Solution

Started by Jim Harley · 29 · 5 years ago · Air Racing, Laird, Super Solution, Williams Brothers
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I've been out of modeling for nearly 30 years. My, how it has changed! I found this board while googling for images of the new Revell Mustang. I spent nearly 5 hours browsing around and really liked what I saw. Anyway, I still have my stash from 100 years ago so I thought I'd cut my teeth on the Laird. I really like the 30's era racers and the 'antiqueness' of the old Williams Brothers kits.

So...armed with a new Iwata airbrush and whole bunch of enthusiasm it is off to the races.

Jim

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Welcome to the site, sir...I'm sure you'll find it both informative and friendly here.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Now that's a classic, and welcome.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

And they’re off! Welcome to the whacky races, James. Your Sky Buzzard will be a welcome and colourful addition.

@jimh

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

FYI I've created a group for Golden Age air racers! Seems like Williams Bros. has the market cornered in that subject. Can't wait to see it done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's great to see the hobby still strong and full of good people. More on the Laird. I've got the rest of the Williams Brothers collection, as soon as I figure out how to do pinstripes I'll have a go at them.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

When I got back in to airbrushing I tried Vallejo paint and didn't get along with it. I watched several youtube tutorials and decided to give it another try. I wanted to do the exhaust with acrylic so it would be easier to wipe off if/when I screw up. I ran two cups of paint through my airbrush with all kinds of pressures and dilution levels. I found a good mix and shot it on...I'm pretty happy with it, although I'll need a smaller needle in the near future.

Jim

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That's looking real fine! What green did you use? It looks pretty good to the MK 1 eyeball. For pinstriping you could just try a fine brush and free hand them in. (I did on my Gee Bee Z but another guy on another site actually did mask and spray his on his R.) The one I'm nervous about doing is the Hall Bulldog! It has a real wild scheme going on!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Josh! It’s just straight Testors green enamel. It matched the decals right out of the bottle. The Yellow is also Testors yellow but for every two drops of yellow I added brown to tone it down. I found some 1/64th masking tape at a local art store. It’s a college store here at Kent State and they cater to the Architecture students. I’m going to shoot the pin striping color on and mask the stripes. It’ll be the Gee Bee Z first. My hands aren’t as steady anymore to try freehanding 🙂

• Profile Photo

That is looking great, James. Can I ask did you use Vallejo Model Air - and if so did you thin the paint? Even though it’s advertised as ready to go, I find it only works as I want it if you add thinner. After experimenting ive settled in three parts paint to one thinner. That said, it depends on how you use the brush and your preferred pressure.

Doing a terrific job on the Buzzard.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This is a fantastic build... I really love the planes from this era. Here are a few pictures of a replica of a real 1 to 1 scale one that I took at Kermit Week's "Fantasy of Flight" museum about 7 years ago.

I hope they help...

• Profile Photo

Beautiful photos, Louis. Those yellow wings era aircraft look gorgeous, I need to build me one I’d them...King Kong diorama...argh, you see what you people do to me?

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the site. You'll enjoy it here and we'll enjoy seeing your builds. Earlier this year I bought 5 1:32 Williams Bros kits. I thought about doing a one-man group build, but then I had a moment of sanity... maybe next year. Anyway your Laird is looking great! Keep the photos coming.

• Profile Photo

“But then I had a moment of sanity” - brilliant, Gary.

@wiley2770

• Profile Photo

At David Leigh, thank you! I appreciate the kind words. When I got back in to the hobby I decided to give acrylics a spin. Armed with a Badger 350, I got the Vallejo surface primer and the the "Model Paint". I have an Accurate Miniatures P-51C (Mantz) that I started about a month ago. I sprayed the surface primer on straight out of the bottle and it went on beautifully. I let it dry 24 hours and went back to sand out some rough spots and apply more filler. the first stroke of 600 grit sand paper (dry) took the primer right off in sheets. That was completely unacceptable so I set it aside for a bit and then stripped the model and re-shot it with Testors flat white enamel. The Testors went on just as I remembered.

For the Laird, I hit the reset button and have actually gone back and worked on the P-51. I'll post photos of that soon. It's not anything special and has issues but they are all self induced.

After watching some tutorials online and not wanting to give up on acrylics I sat down and started practicing with my newly purchased Iwata (worth every penny) . The mix for an opaque finish was about 60% paint and 40% Isopropyl Alcohol at 25psi give or take. The mix I used for the exhaust was about 20% paint and 80% Isopropyl Alcohol at 15psi. The exhaust still not as transparent as I want it but it is close. I need a smaller needle, which is the next investment.

At Louis, Thank you for the Photos of Kermits replica! I've drooled on that more than once but I never really took photos, I think I have 2 from all the times I visited his place. They all help for sure. Kermit sure has a nice toy box :).
    At Gary, Thanks! Like you, I have all the kits but one at a time is the only way to maintain sanity. They are great models but they take almost as much effort as an R/C! Then again that is what makes them so fun.

At Josh, where is your Golden Age Group? I'm still learning my way around but I'd love to participate.

All the best to everyone and thanks for tuning in! Sorry I didn't know it would link it so literally, new fangled websites 🙂