Webmaster can play, too! – Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109E

Started by Editor · 51 · 10 years ago · 1/48, Bf 109, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Mark Beckwith said 10 years, 5 months ago:

The model is looking real good. I like the re-worked paint a lot more and your detail work is outstanding, both in terms of execution and attention to accuracy.

For what it's worth, here's some pics I took of a real 109E a few years ago. The first couple of pics show the radiator detail, just for anyone who wants to see the actual.

Second, regarding the seam on the spine; on the real aircraft it was a butt-join, not an overlap as for the vertical seams on the fuselage, and I for one have never been convinced that it's going to be particularly visible on a 1/48 scale model. I think this is more a case a modelers want to represent something that is there to display knowledge of the detail, rather than represent something that could be seen in scale. As you can see, on this factory fresh example, it's barely visible at 1:1 let alone 1:48! Of course, nothing wrong with showing it, modeler's choice 🙂

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks @markjb , I'll keep these as a reference for the panel line at the spine. Also, your photos show that the underwing radiator housings were probably less angular than depicted in most kits, Tamiya included.

Slower progress this week, but I managed to get a clear coat on and start with decal application. The canopy in the photos is dry-fit, and I'm happy with the way it turns out.

The decals are a selection from various sheets and curiously, most of the fuselage markings turned out slightly too large. I followed the placement as per photographs, but this results in a rather un-blanaced composition with the top-hat very close to the fuselage chevron. I'm not sure that I like it. What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I think the markings turned out great. Compared to the profile the hat is a bit tall but not by that much, IMHO.
    BTW, nice shading along the wingroot!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Anders, but...

Although my last decalling session was technically a success, it left me somewhat disconcerted about the large fuselage cross as shown on the model. Although it was placed as per reference colour profiles, it looked markedly out of place to me compared with the other markings on this a/c.

It should perhaps be mentioned that the formats and sizes of German national markings varied rather wildly during the period 1939-1940. When in doubt, many profile artists employ what they think was "standard" or "factory" placement of the crosses which in fact wasn't really standardised on the unit level until 1941. A good tip is to always double-check your Bf 109E markings with the available photos. You might be surprised by what you find.

Fortunately, I was able to locate a photo of Herwig Knuppel's aircraft. This is the same photo that formed a basis for the colour profiles. It also demonstrates that the profiles were not perfect, showing a white band on the top hat marking where in fact it should be red.

It would seem that the fuselage cross is entirely hidden by the mat covering the rear fuselage. But...

...looking closely, one can actually discern its lower contours. Since the fuselage panels lines are also evident in this view, calculating the exact size of the cross was a rather easy matter. As it turned out, it was markedly smaller and placed lower down on the fuselage than the late-1940 marking shown in the profiles.

A correction was dry-tested...

...then the old decals removed and smaller crosses applied, resulting in a different (and I think more coherent) look of this area of the aircraft.

The rest of the evening was spent applying additonal stencils, wing walkways etc. After this the model is finally ready for a wash. And the builder is pleased!

Before & after view. What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good boss, better with the smaller crosses though.
    One thing though Matt, your mat looks tooo clean, are very careful or just lucky?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Simon. That’s because I don’t use the mat when painting, only cutting & filing 🙂
    My fave “ground cover” when painting or glueing is a letter-size notepad - easy to dispose any used sheets.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 3 months ago:

After some weathering it's time to attach the remaining bits and pieces - the cowling, wing slats, pilot seat etc. Then the undercarriage - got some trouble adjusting it, and here's the unusual alignment method waiting for the glue to set:

First time on its own wheels

This will be finished anytime now. The canopy is still loose, antenna yet to be added and a few touchups required to the paintwork - but it damn sure looks like a 109 now!

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 3 months ago:

A 109 that makes me happy mister!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great Martin. Lets see it in Headlines soon.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 10 years, 3 months ago:

i love the emil...i have the E-1 in 32 from eduard and the devil head decal in the stash...it is most impressive but galland is great too so many are...yes whenever i start a project i think i have everything then you screw up one decal or something goes wrong and you wait two weeks for the new one to arrive...but raising kids is no excuse we just waste time watching tv ...drinking and other trivial pursuits...nobody runs from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed...well some women do...as nike says "just do it"...give modelling one hour a day...i had about 30 little projects around the house once and the house was falling down around my ears...most of them took less than 30 minutes to fix...i started tackling one a day...spackle that crack...change that faulty electric receptacle...go to the hardware one day [ yes going to the hardware is enough for one day] and buy a new door knob and install it the next put a new ball cock on the john...had them all done in 30 days no sweat...made me feel like a man...just do it...human nature tends us to procrastinate and stagnate and make excuses

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good, Martin.
    Now go for those final details! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Martin, welcome back to the bench, and an excellent choice to build a kit that won't give you any fits. Could've fooled me that the Ip is not PE. You have a steady hand in picking out the details. Did you start this project this month? While being a dad and keeping the family happy. Also Kudos for the links to projects such as yours to view at the home page is a great idea. Looking forward for some more improvements. And as well as the finished Emil.

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks all for comments.

@p38j: A modelling friend said to me once that the trick of the trade is not to spend long evenings at the modeling table, but to do modeling 15-30 minutes every day. I found the latter to be an excercise in self-discipline which is undoubtedly useful, but difficult at times. I guess that's why I am a slow builder.

@uscusn: Chuck, you are too kind about this intrument panel... but I'm glad that my humble attention to detail shows.

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 10 years, 2 months ago:

I'm going to try that advice and spend shorter times at the modeling bench every day instead of long hours once or twice a week. Maybe I can get more models done for the shelf this year.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Three final details before she heads to the showroom

The canopy is finsihed, and I'm happy that it looks the part. I even managed to add knobs on the inside of the sliding panels.

Mounting the antenna wire was probably too fiddly for my nerves and eyesight, but I prevailed.

And landing gear in place with some added detail.