Welcome to Mystical Experiences (1/48 Fonderie Miniature Vautour IIB, Armée de l'Air )

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 47 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Fonderie-Miniature, Vautour
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That is wonderful looking PE, Spiros.
    Good you picked this one up again to give it a well deserved finish.
    Looking forward to your next steps on this difficult one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks my friends @j-healy, @lgardner and @johnb!

My poor Vautour was patiently waiting on a shelf, collecting dust and being treated with the occasional Vne (never exceed speed) tests, by my sons, Lucas (QC1-6yo) and Nikos (QC2-3yo).

I can tell you those Vne proof tests were pretty stressful for the airframe, especially those performed by QC2 🙂 .

So, a decision was taken to revive this bird!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Having done one of these monsters myself (pix below), you are truly a glutton for punishment @fiveten. I think you'll get a good result. I thought I did. But man, do you have to work for it!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice save my friend. With all the different materials and glues and whatnots it is turning into some sort of a frankenplane.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, your build was the inspiration to search, get and occasionally build an FM/HiTech quarterscale Vautour, my friend @tcinla (together with the fact that I had the privilege to visit the Dassault factory in Mergnác, Bordeaux, back in 2005).

I remember seeing one - the "B" - as a reasonably well naintained static display, outside some test cell facilities; upon getting closer, I was really impressed by this "non mainstream" machine...

Then, I had another privilege: I "discovered" the Maurice Verdeun hobby shop in Bordeaux...

...where I used to stay, during my Dassault visits. I was really amazed by the rare subjects they had there. One of them was the Vautour...one only copy! So, you can imagine how the story went...

I still try to figure out the reason I am attracted to such challenging (sic) kits... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum! As you may have noticed, I kind if mixed liquefied styrene with cyano, in order to have a compound that will grab onto styrene AND resin, quadruple (!) acting as a filler AND strengthener...
    Oh my, I think I've been carried too far away... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@fiveten - That place looks like a shop of magic things from a novel.

I hope all you Greeks aren't freezing too badly. Saw the photos of snow on the Acropolis. Almost as bad as what's going on here (other than here in the City of Lost Angles, where I went shopping wearing t-shirt and jeans today).

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros my friend this is a daunting kit. Must confess I sold mine as I did not want to mess with my sanity. I know you will pull this one off and present us with a spectacular Vautour!

• Profile Photo

@tcinla
    It was snowing badly the last two days, it is said that it was one of the most severe snowing in Athens of the last couple of decades. I live in Chalkida, 50m north of Athens, by the sea, it was not that bad here...
    Today is sunny!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @mornem!
    I could have never imagined in my modeling life, that I would have to use the liquefied stryrene/cyano mix for attaching/filling agent...
    I was delighted to enter The FM Vautour Mystical Experiences 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

After reading the title . . . I'm more incline to read the "Magical Mystical Mystery Tour" with emphasis on magical. Or some good slight of hand . What a beast compared to your Gladiator. IF you can rig a biplane with stretched sprue you can make a Fonderie Miniature kit. Looking forward to this one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks my friend @stephen-w-towle!

• Profile Photo

The topic was moved to our friend's @lis Bomber Command GB (meaning -hopefully - to be re-prioritized and at some point finished... 🙂 ).
    You might follow it here:
    https://imodeler.com/groups/bomber-command/forum/topic/welcome-to-mystical-experiences-1-48-fonderie-miniature-vautour-iib-armee-de-lair-1/

• Profile Photo
    Marcello Rosa said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Hi this is a really interesting thread on a hard-to-find subject. Out of curiosity, how big is the model going to be? Seems massive.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @marcellorosa1! Indeed, FM made a limited number of thise kits and I was lucky to find one back then. Though the model is slightly longer than your Super Etendard, it is roughly 50% wider and 30% taller, which, indeed, makes it big.