Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spinning. . .

I just had one day off in the middle of a 8 day stint at work and got the nose improved a bit more

I assembled the engine cowlings, and got to work on the spinner. These were open to help improve cooling the hot Jumo down to acceptable levels.

First a look at the work on the spinner

Not how I had first imagined it, but I think it worked OK for a first try at this.

With the cowling glued in place, the spinner gets a loose fit to check.

Some PE items will be there next I think

Stay tuned for the next post in a few days (or perhaps one more later today?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking nice, my friend @airbum, closer to reality.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 3 months ago:

You’re doing some fine work on this one, Erik. I like how you opened the cooling slots on the cowl.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    The additional work you have done here is a definite improvement over the kit supplied parts. It makes your 109's look much more authentic. I especially like how you open the cooling slots in not only the engine cowling, but the ones in the spinner too ! BY far my favorite item you have done with your various 109 builds, is when you carefully sliced open the canopy and made it look like the sliding portion of the side window was open on one of your Emil builds. I don't think the canopy hood has a slider window on the Dora though... That's such a cool touch.

I am definitely going to be using this build journal as a guide when I get around to building up mine... Thank you very much for posting such detailed descriptions on the work you do, along with how you do it.

I will be anxiously awaiting your next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I will have to work on the spinner for the next one I think, but that is for another day.
    Louis @lgardner, sorry to dissapoint you 🙂

(Picture with kind permission from Hafner Archiv)
    the Dora did also have sliding windows in the hood. Not entirely sure I will go there, even though the Legion Condor kites most likely were parked with these open in the warm summermonths.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

A well deserved relaxation after an 8 day working stint.
    Seems to have given you some real motivation.
    Great progress, Erik.
    Nice illustration on that canopy.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@airbum great work, you are definitely sane as far as I'm concerned! Great finishing on that cowl and spinner! Keep it coming my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Love the illustration too, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

As usual I am thankfull for all the kind words my friends. They make it all such a lot more fun. I only had one day off in an 8 day stint, and I'm now back at work on a sunny Sunday. Of course I have few pieces of plastic and a sharp scalpel with me, should the opportunity arise 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Thank you for posting the canopy picture and letting me know about the slider window. This is valuable information to know.
    I can relate to how you feel with work interfering with our hobby... Not counting my military service, where we routinely spent 30-45 days at a time in the field, there was a time when I worked for 18 days straight without any time off in between... Needless to say when I finally got back home I was exhausted, and building something was the last thing on my mind. Instead I got something good to eat, took a good shower and went to sleep...

Having some plastic parts and a scalpel with you is a good idea. You just never know 😉

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

As always I do appreciate your comments @j-healy, @lgardner, @johnb, @michel-verschuere and @fiveten. And Woody @wkubacki, here you have a 109 that will get two blades 🙂

An update to follow shortly – stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Pressing on

I did not get to the PE just yet, but sort of closed the nose and added a pair of legs.

And with the legs duly hardened after a few days at work, it is on its own legs!

The legs in this kit are nowhere near other kits I’ve made in terms of ease and strength. That said, they look nice, and the links are a separate item, easing the adding of chrome on the oleo a lot

I did fill some LqS around the bases and let it harden for 4 days

That should make it last on the shelf.

Now – the positioning of moveable parts

The pedals are centered, and so the rudder will be centered too. The tailwheel is castoring and may yet be located at an angle. The stick is pulled back, a bit to the left, so ailerons will be deflected accordingly, and the elevator will be up.

next up I hope to have added a few PE items and moving surfaces, but what happens when the knife, gluepot and such gets going is difficult to tell

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Some great progress, Erik @airbum
    That landinggear does indeed look pretty sturd.
    Together with that LqS it should be able to carry some weight.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    It looks like you have been busy, and the progress you made looks very good. It is always a good sign to see the model standing on it's own legs... I like how you used the LQS to stiffen up the landing gear.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I echo our friends' above comments, my friend @airbum!
    Always nice to see a model standing on its feet. And our mate LqS is here, too!
    Looking forward to your next PE steps!