Werner Mölders' Bf109D-1, Legion Condor, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 97 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109D-1, airbum, AMG, Bf109, Dora, Haldværk, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Primer looks perfect for the RLM colors, Erik @airbum
    Those intakes and additonal parts do add a lot to this build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Primer accentuated your nice and detailed extra work you put into that model, my friend @airbum!
    Yep, where does the time go...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Primer really brings everything together into one great looking machine, Erik (@airbum). I never used primer until the last year or so, and now I use it all the time. Looking forward to the camo and decals!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@johnb, @fiveten and @gblair, it has been a while, but today I got the airbrush working again

I airbrushed a round of 65

Well, half a round, as the paint had suffered from some contamination (thinner with drying agent) and clogged up my freshly renovated airbrush!

Well, nothing to do other that yet another deep clean, removing paint, and respraying with a fresh jar of xtracolor 65 gloss. It worked rather well, considering all the setbacks and the time I have been away from the spraybooth.

Not the most exciting update, I know, but at least some progress is now visible.

next up – well, the 65 needs to cure, then masking for the top paint can commence

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@airbum, despite this troublesome session, the 65 does look nice. Having issues with the paint and/or airbrush can be frustating.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The RLM65 looks really nice, my friend @airbum! Hope all is good with your airbrush!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Erik. Thanks for the detailed look at this kit. I’ll be spraying my 109 today or tommorow using the same paint. Missing or damaged O rings cause all kinds of issues with airbrushes. What are you thinning the Xtracolor with? I’ve found that older Xtracolor doesn’t like hardware store lacquer thinner. I still have some tins from the early 1990s and learned that the hard way on my Sea Vixen back in 2012. Had to strip and repaint because it sprayed pebbly. Modelmaster airbrush thinner or Mr. Color Levelling Thinner both work well for me with those old tins. No issues with newer tins.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks gents, I changed the needle and tip, and all is well. it seems like it is a well-known issue with H&S (?) that the tip can be worn. After all I did use mine a lot last year, so probably just ordinary wear.

@j-healy, I still have a supply of Xtracolor's own brand, and have not really tried any other thinners with their paint. One day I will have to find a replacement, unless I find a store inside EU that stocks them.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Yeah, stock up when you can. There’s only one importer that carries it here in the US. I love that smooth finish.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

RLM 65 came out well, Erik (@airbum). Xtracolor is really difficult to get, so I have never tried it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@johnb, @fiveten, @j-healy and @gblair, I totally missed posting progress on this one last year, so with a slight delay, here we go;

65 dried, got masked and 63 painted

Well – just a small update to get up to speed on this slow build

I suppose the paint is dry by now (3 months has passed)

with this kind of slow progress who knows what happens next

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Besides the RLM63 also the thinned openings do look great, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

RLM63 looks great, as well ad the openings, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years ago:

@johnb, @fiveten, @j-healy and @gblair, some more paint drying

whitetipped Dora

after a few thin layers of white all the masks came off

Still a lot of details and stuff, but it looks a bit closer to the display-cabinet by now

With the major painting done, a lot of hours are still to come.

Now it needs to fully cure before some light wetsanding to remove paintridges, next up probably decalled?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Nice white tips, my friend @airbum!