Wonderful gift, ArmaHobby FM-2 Wildcat 1/72

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 118 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Indeed, replicating the complex Wildcat landing gear in 1/72 might result in tiny fragile parts, my friend @johnb. I am sure you will repair it spotlessly, though.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. It will require some patience.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Good luck repairing the part, John (@johnb). We have reached a point where manufacturers can mold truly "in-scale" parts, but they need to do a better job getting them to us. I usually break them taking them off the sprue. I always worry about the strength of the repaired piece on something like a landing gear.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 2 months ago:

" I usually break them taking them off the sprue." Another parting question . . . even with out the help of Captain Klutz , (whose motto is "If you ain't breaken it, you ain't makin it.") molding small kit parts to scale in 1/72nd is accurate but, is a set up for breaking things. Add packaging and pricing, those sleeve boxes that open at the ends to help save costs in pricing are invites to finding broken pieces. I've tried using a Tamiya P.E. saw to cut the sprue ends of some of the smaller pieces with mixed results. Finding broken pieces on sprues is annoying if you have a skill set that can handle it. But, broken parts should be the responsibility or the dept of the modeler having done. John, the landing gear situation seems to apply to the Eduard kit in 1/48 too. Its a accurate design conundrum. But the boxing could be better.

Regardless, your well on your way making this kit great.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. The complexity of this landing gear, the amount of parts and one even broken, makes me also a bit nervous to finally place it on her wheels.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, thanks a lot, Stephen. Likely every modeller has the experience to at least once have broken a piece while removing it from the sprue. Finding it broken on the sprue is a bit annoying but in both cases, repairing it succesfully is a joy as well. I do agree however that in most cases the packing could be done much better, especially taking into account the pricing of those kits these days.

• Profile Photo

As said before, the landing gear is complex on this aircraft. The next picture clearly shows that. It is nice that ArmaHobby did include this clear drawing.

I decided to not follow the instruction, they indicate to first assemble the entire structure and mount it into the wheel wells as one unit. This to me looked quite difficult to do and there I mounted the center unit first and mounted it to the fuselage.

Next I will mount the main struts inside the wheel well and align it with the center unit.

• Profile Photo

And this is how it looks after mounting the main struts.

• Profile Photo

Great approach to the distinctive Wildcat landing gear assembly, my friend @johnb! Looks superb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Fantastic work! Engine looks impressive!

• Profile Photo

@lis, thanks a lot, Bernard. Till now this is an enjoyable kit.

• Profile Photo

Masks applied on the canopy. I'm glad pre-cut masks from Eduard were included by Bernard (@lis). Creating own masks at this scale would have been a huge challenge. Only the front part of the canopy is glued because I want to display the model with the canopy open.

After painting the canopy frame, I had some paint left and mixed it with primer. Therefore the primer looks a bit greenish. As usual, some touch-ups did show up, but all doable.

• Profile Photo

Looks very homogeneous primed, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is looking really good, John (@johnb). The landing gear is really complex in the Wildcat, but it looks like it all came together perfectly. I think you have picked the least hazardous route to getting the struts installed.