XA2D-1 Skyshark ClearProp, 1:48

Started by Martin Dytrych · 68 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 12 months ago:

@pb_legend - I'm not sure if all the Ukrainian companies are "under the same umbrella" formally, but I do know that the guys who run Dora Wings and AMG were originally in ModelSvit, which itself was in Amodel before; it's one reason why the Dora Wings, AMG and ModelSvit early 109s are all the same other than small detail differences between sub-types. Clear Prop has a history of doing aftermarket sets before doing this kit. They've also announced they are going to do the H-75 Hawk/P-36 family, starting with the H-75O, the one with fixed gear. The CAD work they've published shows grounds for hope of a good series, and the quality people are reporting about this XA2D-1 are also grounds for optimism.

• Profile Photo

If there is a "non-prototype" release it will be a "What If," since there were no production XA2Ds.

Also, exhaust staining would be about "it" for weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 12 months ago:

By non-prototype I mean't the A2D-1 which is what your Dynavector kit resembles, unlike the XA2D that this first release represents (most notable difference being the canopy and "fairing" ahead of the exhaust). Anyhow, a what-if is what I had planned, personally.

Thanks for the clarification on the Ukrainian powerhouses. 🙂

Can't wait to see your start Martin, that thing sure looks to have lots of rivets, and alternately would look great in a NMF, like your Bearcat was.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend - there are definitely some interesting ideas one could pursue with a "what if."

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 12 months ago:

I think the dark blue paint makes the plane look cool, Martin (@naviatik). 55 Euro seems like a good price, which I think converts to around $85 in US currency. I considered ordering one direct from the Ukraine, but the postage was very high. I had some money built up at my local hobby shop from some consignments I sold, so I bought a Skyshark today. Looks really good in the box. I still think the price is a little steep for a plane that only had a couple of paint schemes, so maybe something hypothetical may be in my future.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Hello guys, I need your help.
    I have chosen to build 122989 in 1954, for which one I have quite good picture.
    Unfortunately, it has some emblem on tail I am not ableto identify.
    Perhaps you can help: it looks like cartoon or comics baby character, but I am not familiar with this topic.
    I am able to make new decal for this one as well as new Skyshark emblem on port side.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

First look into the box - I am impressed by the quality of parts. I also noticed they are carefully packed.

What makes me crazy - I have not found any ejection pin footprint anywhere! I mean - none at all!

I can't figure out how these guys did it, but they certainly have my gratitude for this achievment!

Details are just wonderful! All of them are crisp, rivets are very gentle, lines are sharp, deep, narrow... it is modeler heaven. I worry I will be totally spoiled after this build, so I would rather take some other nice kit than old fashioned c**p.

I really hope it fits together as nice as it looks in frames.

To be honest, I found an issue - just on the propeller cover. Luckily, it is one of these everybody can fix easy peasy. Although, I think I just got the bad luck and this is not common error.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 12 months ago:

That looks very nice. If I had to guess, it will likely build up well by following the test fit everything first mantra. Or a Tom would say, a "limited run kit at heart"...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Looking nice indeed, Martin. Who'd have thought limited run kits would look so great!

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend - I have two friends who have bought the kit and dived right in, and they report it's pretty "mainstream" in terms of fit. As one noted, "Clear Prop has set themselves a high bar as regards the coming Hawk 75's."

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Looks great, Martin.
    Besides the molding issue, you are off to a good start.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 12 months ago:

This is undoubtedly going to be a great build to follow. This model from Clearprop is TOP NOTCH. It will definitely spawn some interesting What If's. I myself stay true to how it looked back in the day. However, this " What If " Vietnam War Skyshark (Dynavector kit) from an unknown modeler sure looks AWESOME.

• Profile Photo

some dry fitting.
    This is propeller - everything is just perfect so far. Also fuselage fitting is almost seamless.
    I decided to use cyanoakrylate glue or Tamiya extra thin. I should avoid using force when assembling, because it fits really nicely now.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 12 months ago:

I just opened my kit, and it looks great in the box. Looking forward to your build, Martin (@naviatik). I was thinking about a hypothetical paint scheme for a Naval Reserve aircraft in dark blue, with the orange stripe denoting its Reserve status.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Prop looks very convincing, Martin!