XA2D-1 Skyshark ClearProp, 1:48

Started by Martin Dytrych · 68 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 11 months ago:

After one week, I can say: "Wow!".
    Despite the fact kit is complicated to assembly (because they wanted to keep sharp details everywhere), it is incredible piece of engineering. Everything still fits like the best Tamiya kit.
    I was a bit afraid that I would not been able to keep geometry of all these small walls and structures, but... I prepared carefully each piece - it was nothing hard, i just slightly sanded all pins and sides to be OK - and the bottom of fuselage is just as it was made from one big block.
    I know I have to fill some places, but it is 5 minutes job.
    Seat looks very detailed, however this was the most thougt piece to put together. If built by guide, it does not fit into cockpit. I had to cut off the frame after back and attach catapult tubes directly to the seat (otherwise the seat would have been too much forward and collides with sidewalls pins).
    However, I have pardon for this issue - the seat is not designed for this kit. It is originally Reskit designed for some other kit (Skyray, I guess).

I added a bit wiring, visible on photo of cockpit and I added some wiring into wheel wells. Not much, just something believable.

I used putty only to make seamless intakes, otherwise I did not need it.
    I continue with painting, keep fingers crossed πŸ™‚

Conclusion so far:
    Big plus - excellent fitting of everything
    Minus - complicated assembly, but I understand why.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That's amazing progress, Martin.
    Glad to hear the Clearprop kit is that good!

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great subassemblies!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@naviatik - this is looking really good, and I am slowly becoming convinced that just because i did the Dynavector doesn't mean this can't join the line-up also. Looking forward to your result.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Coming along very nicely, Martin.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The sub-assemblies are looking great, Martin (@naviatik). Good catch on fitting the seat.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Guys, there was a lot said, now it is time for some show! πŸ˜€
    I hope I start posting pictures of progress in higher frequency, there is nothing tricky what could stuck this build.
    I am so excited building it! I even ordered authentic navy blue color from Mr. Paint to not screw up in later phase this excellent kit. πŸ™‚ (yeah, I mixed the same shade from my Tamiyas, but they are really low, I am affraid it would not be enough as this is really big bird.

Cockpit is painted with Mr. Color interior green and black, panels with Tamiya matt black and details with Vallejo brush colors. Scratches are done with PrismaColor pencil (PC949).

The stand on the picture is 3D printed prototype allowing to tilt model by almost 90 degree and work on its sides (perfect for decaling or scribbing new lines.)
    I will post more pictures of that, so will it in action. It is great piece of home-engineering and effort of my friend-modeller Martin R.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A+ work as usual Martin, glad to here the progress will keep rolling, and most importantly, that you are enjoying the build! Would love to see the stand.. I don't want to get in the weeds, but did you print it yourself, and if so what are you printing with? Im about to pull the trigger on one..

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This is a wonderful job so far, Martin! Cockpit looks absolutely realistic.
    I too loved the stand: 3D printing offers such amazing solutions.
    Looking forwad to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Awesome work on the interior, Martin.
    From your words it is clear that you are enjoying this build a lot and that can definitely be seen.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Not that it matters a hill of beans, but I wonder how accurate the interior is. I say that because when the only one still in existence was out at Chino, I took the opportunity of it sitting on the line all by its lonesome one day to "scale Mount Everest" and get up on the wing to look in the cockpit, to find it gutted. I rather suspect it's still in that condition today down at San Diego Air & Space. I don't recall a lot of cockpit shots in the Skyshark book.

All of which is a no-never-mind. You've done a really nice job on that cockpit @naviatik - it's certainly better than the cockpit in the Dynavector kit, which I was happy to decide should have been all black and did it that way.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Cockpit is terrific, Martin (@naviatik). The size of this plane reminds me of the bulk of a Skyraider. Looking forward to the blue paint at the end.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@gblair - I once saw the surviving XA2D parked next to a Skyraider at one of the Chino shows - the Skyshark made the Skyraider look small. Like I said, climbing up on that wing the time I did was "an Everest expedition." The thing is massive!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Wow, Tom (@tcinla). That's why I like building models...you really get a sense of the relative size of things.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hello again with some news.
    First, I am not so excited as I was at the beginning.
    Second, I am still big fan of this kit and still keeping good mood.
    What does it mean? Are u confused? Let me explain it.

The kit construction is complicated. I was worried about not being able to keep good geometry of the fuselage and that was just right. I misplaced halfs of fuselage about half of milimeter - that was enough to cause big troubles, because this kit requires so much precise work. I was sanding, testing, sanding again and finaly I was able to put wings to the fuselage without big force and without having holes between them.
    OK, I can say this issue is my fault, not the manufacturer. I guess the plane has just very complicated shapes and there is no other way how to get good quality of detials and make them with injection technology. So, just be extra careful - I took pictures to show you how everything inside is linked together, because everything inside is not only about intakes or exhausts, it is also support structure of the fuselage!
    This kit simply does not forget mistakes.

And now we are getting to another issue I had to solve. The machine I want to build has different type of vertical stabilizer. When I realized that I was a bit dissapointed - the company put so much effort into creating this beautiful kit and did not noticed different configurations of machines? Shame on them...
    Correction was easy - I cut off the top of rudder part and glued to the fixed part. Then I created one new hinge and renewed lines and rivetting.

I think I got over some kind of tipping point of the kit, because there are just small subsets ahead where I do not expect troubles.

Now, let me finish with some advices to followers:
    If you want to build scheme 1 or 2, you should think about creating new smal intake above the main ones. They clearly visible on photo.
    For scheme 2 there is also machine with wings, head of propeller and rudder tips painted red - I like this scheme more than yellow tips. πŸ™‚

Be careful, how many pylons you add under the wing. Use photo reference. There might be differencies.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.