Zvezda 1/48 Yak-130 of Myanmar Air Force

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 23 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Hi everybody πŸ™‚ Recently I've started to build this new Zvezda kit in 1/48 scale (1/72 version also available). I mostly interested in WWII era piston aircrafts, so this modern jet is something new to me. I've chosen blue camouflage scheme of a Myanmar AF – it just looks quite interesting. Also, this will be a completely OOB – kit details level are good enough.

• Profile Photo

I've started from the cockpit. The most problematic part of this was painting – looking on the photos I've realized, that instruction doesn't give any correct information, except some "neutral gray" color.

As you can see, the main colors are light blue, darker green-blue of instrumental panels and a grey color. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything for the first two, so I did my own mixture of Hataka paints. If somebody is interested, here it is:

• Light blue is 6:1 of C709 (RAL 6027) and C284 (FS35520)
    • Green-blue is ~2:1 of C228 and C284 plus white
    • Grey is Vallejo 71.046

Kit comes with good decals for the instrumental screens/monitors (I'm not sure how it's properly called, so please correct me), bit everything the rest was brush painted – buttons, knobs, seats, etc. It was not that easy, but I've had some fun. Also, it's convenient to apply base colors with lacquers, and brush paint with water acrylics – in a case of a mistake you can easily use acrylic cleaner to remove it without touching the base.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for sharing this, Dmitry. I just purchased this kit and plan on building the Belarus AF example.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Carle said 5 years, 1 month ago:

It looks really good!

• Profile Photo

Air intakes are one of the hardest part of this model. For some reason, Zvezda did a very complex parts division, when the from part of intake should be made of 4 parts with inability to properly sand seam lines. I've made (maybe) a radical decision – to cut out some parts from a fuselage detail, than assemble intakes completely, and do all the sanding and polishing. Also, these parts should be pre-painted before assembly.

Intake flaps are designed to be movable, but this also complicates assembly and painting, but more to this – I was not satisfied with gaps between the parts, so flaps parts were installed separately.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I really like the looks of this plane and I am looking forward to seeing it completed. Your cockpit looks awesome.

• Profile Photo

Thanks friends! Continuing...

Fuselage and wings:

Assembling air intakes and the main wheel bay is not that easy... I was expecting more convenient build, but due to a lots number of details it's hard to achieve the good fit after. First note from me - glue air intakes using part B29 as a template, in that case parts will fit better. Second note - be very careful and pay attention to the wheel bay and engines and part B29, or you may appear in a such situation:

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

That's a very ingenious method of molding the fuselage and wings ! I like it.

Looks like you somehow managed to shrink a life sized plane down to 1/48 πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! Unfortunately this method of molding brings a lot of issues... but I should work it out somehow πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 4 years, 5 months ago:

After almost eight months I've decided to get back to this build – I had put a lot of work into the cockpit and intakes, and it would be good to finish the model kit. I will try one more time, but previously I was somehow disappointed.

I've re-started the build with engines, and it was frustrating, because I've screwed up the heat resistance pad detail while I was trying to bend it to fit the fuselage. I made a replacement with a 0.5mm white polystyrene plate - you can see it on the photo.

Next, I've installed ailerons, elevators, flaps and slats – no issues here. And the most critical thing – gluing together nose cockpit part and fuselage. Not that easy, I was using rubber bands to fix some parts at desired position, and it will require some putty.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Zvezda kits have really come a long way since they first started appearing on the hobby shop shelves. I can't wait to see the cool Myanmar paint scheme on this model.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

An interesting aircraft design, nice progress!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

I like how your work is turning out. It’s really starting to look like you’re almost ready for the paint. This one is going to look great in the colors you chose.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you friends! Hope to finish the kit with your help. Since the last posting I was preparing the model kit for priming and painting. All of the issues with seam lines and similar things were discovered and eliminated, but it took some time. I've use Gunze Mr.Surfacer 1500 black primer, because the next thing was marbling:

I'm not sure about the final effect – how this would looks like after the base blue color, but still worth a try to my mind. And it was a kind of meditation – slowly painting that random splashes of white, panel by panel.

I was also working on the canopy, and it's most inconvenient part – imitation of an explosive cord. I still can't understand why it's not a separate part or just a recessed "panel line", so you can use wash to fill it with a needed color. Instead, it's a raised element on the internal surface of a canopy. Also, there is alternative clear part without this cord. And a decal. You can choose to paint the cord or apply a decal and which clear part to use. I've tried to paint the cord by hand with acrylic paint – no way, so I've applied the decals, removing the clear film whenever it was possible. After that I've added a layer of a clear gloss coat. Canopy was also painted from inside using Eduard masks:

Next is the base color

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Glad that you got this moving again - and as you mention the raised detonation chord is really strange!