Zvezda 1/48 Yak-130 of Myanmar Air Force

  • 9 posts
  • Last reply 2 months ago
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts
  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    Hi everybody 🙂 Recently I’ve started to build this new Zvezda kit in 1/48 scale (1/72 version also available). I mostly interested in WWII era piston aircrafts, so this modern jet is something new to me. I’ve chosen blue camouflage scheme of a Myanmar AF – it just looks quite interesting. Also, this will be a completely OOB – kit details level are good enough.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    I’ve started from the cockpit. The most problematic part of this was painting – looking on the photos I’ve realized, that instruction doesn’t give any correct information, except some “neutral gray” color.

    As you can see, the main colors are light blue, darker green-blue of instrumental panels and a grey color. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything for the first two, so I did my own mixture of Hataka paints. If somebody is interested, here it is:
    – Light blue is 6:1 of C709 (RAL 6027) and C284 (FS35520)
    – Green-blue is ~2:1 of C228 and C284 plus white
    – Grey is Vallejo 71.046

    Kit comes with good decals for the instrumental screens/monitors (I’m not sure how it’s properly called, so please correct me), bit everything the rest was brush painted – buttons, knobs, seats, etc. It was not that easy, but I’ve had some fun. Also, it’s convenient to apply base colors with lacquers, and brush paint with water acrylics – in a case of a mistake you can easily use acrylic cleaner to remove it without touching the base.

  • John Healy said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    Thanks for sharing this, Dmitry. I just purchased this kit and plan on building the Belarus AF example.

  • Jeff Carle said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    It looks really good!

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    Air intakes are one of the hardest part of this model. For some reason, Zvezda did a very complex parts division, when the from part of intake should be made of 4 parts with inability to properly sand seam lines. I’ve made (maybe) a radical decision – to cut out some parts from a fuselage detail, than assemble intakes completely, and do all the sanding and polishing. Also, these parts should be pre-painted before assembly.

    Intake flaps are designed to be movable, but this also complicates assembly and painting, but more to this – I was not satisfied with gaps between the parts, so flaps parts were installed separately.

  • George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 1 week ago:

    I really like the looks of this plane and I am looking forward to seeing it completed. Your cockpit looks awesome.

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 months ago:

    Thanks friends! Continuing…

    Fuselage and wings:

    Assembling air intakes and the main wheel bay is not that easy… I was expecting more convenient build, but due to a lots number of details it’s hard to achieve the good fit after. First note from me – glue air intakes using part B29 as a template, in that case parts will fit better. Second note – be very careful and pay attention to the wheel bay and engines and part B29, or you may appear in a such situation:

  • Louis Gardner said 2 months ago:

    That’s a very ingenious method of molding the fuselage and wings !!!!!!!!!!! I like it.

    Looks like you somehow managed to shrink a life sized plane down to 1/48 🙂

  • Dmitry Stropalov said 2 months ago:

    Thanks Louis! Unfortunately this method of molding brings a lot of issues… but I should work it out somehow 🙂

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts