Ford vs Ferrari - Le Mans 1966

Started by George Williams · 37 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

@chinesegeorge - Looks great so far George. The gold is going to be fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

I am looking forward to these racers, George (@chinesegeorge). I'm a real s****r for Formula 1 and similar cars. Your gold car sounds really cool.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great stuff George @chinesegeorge Most builds I see of the MkII are of Ken Miles car (for obvious reasons). Nice that you are do the Ronnie Bucknum/Dick Hutcherson car. That was the only Holman & Moody GT40 that finished the race.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great choice George @chinesgeorge. What are you going to use for the gold? Seems like a though color to dial in.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

That GT40 is just a completely cool-looking car. Period. Full stop.

This crowd should be aware that this Christmas there is a cinematic fix available for this condition - Michael Mann's "Ferrari," the story of how Ferrari became Ferrari by winning the Mille Miglia - will be out and the preview I saw looked terrific. No CGI in sight (which means if there was any, it was good).

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Good evening everyone, @garybrantley, @brithebuilder, @fiveten, @johnb, @eb801, @beauslx, @bikequeen, @rory. Thanks for your comments and questions. Eric @eb801, I’m planning on a grey undercoat then Tamiya TS-21 Gold for the GT-40. For the Ferrari Fujimi recommend a bright blue which I don’t think is quite right, so I think I’m going to use Tamiya TS-51 Racing Blue.

Anyway, some progress with the Ferrari.

Unfortunately the old fault has happened again, so I can’t upload any more photos, @editor. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @chinesegeorge! The chassis looks awesome!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months, 1 week ago:

I also just came back from the movies and saw a trailer for “Ferrari” with Adam Driver (!) as Enzo and Penelope Cruz as his wife and a vast cast of classic Ferrari’s in the background. Looks like big screen eye candy to me. We shall see. Directed by Michael Mann no less as TC already pointed out earlier.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Nice work on the chassis, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Looking good, George @chinesegeorge! 👍 Here's some eye candy for ya! 😁

George, could that be your gold GT in the background of this photo?

• Profile Photo

Those are great pictures, @garybrantley, and that could the gold GT40 in the background. Thanks for sharing those.

• Profile Photo

OK, @garybrantley, @brithebuilder, @fiveten, @johnb, @eb801, @beauslx, @bikequeen, @rory. Let’s have another go at posting those pictures.

Here’s the next stage in the Ferrari build.

The rear suspension (leaf springs!) and brakes, and the exhausts and under trays.

Next we go on to the engine and gearbox assembly.

And the engine compartment.

Until eventually it looks like this.

No real problems so far, but we’ll be looking at those intake trumpets later.

That’s it for now, plenty more to come. Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 1 week ago:

The Ferrari looks fantastic so far, my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Progress looks really good, George @chinesegeorge

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Hi everyone, @garybrantley, @brithebuilder, @fiveten, @johnb, @eb801, @beauslx, @bikequeen, @rory. An overdue update.

The gold GT40 is finished, sorry I haven’t posted many WIP pictures, but I’m still experiencing problems in that area.

Despite numerous test fits during the build the rear bodywork only fitted perfectly if held like this, otherwise there is a slight gap on the RH side, I’ve seen a similar fault on a couple of on-line builds.

I could glue into position but then I couldn’t open it………..

The kit comes with pre-cut window masks with instructions to paint the frames black. This would correct for the black car, but on the gold car only the windscreen has a black surround, which I didn’t realise until afterwards. So I had to remask the side windows and front lights and spray them gold.

Other than that few problems were experienced other than through my own mistakes, like cementing the exhaust together before fitting it, surgery was required.

Anyway I’ve started work on a second Meng kit, this time the winning black car, let’s see how it goes.

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.