Lola T-70 MKIII

Started by Cricket · 30 · 1 year ago · 1/12th scale, Lola, T-70, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I have a model group on groups.io and i put my next project to a vote there, it was a contest between the Lola, Kawasaki Z1300 or the Honda 1100….the Lola won. I also got the paint in for it yesterday, Tamiya Racing Blue, a dark metallic blue…I love it.

Tamiya kit # 12015 1/12th scale

So here we go, I will document this build fully so i can posted to Headlines 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Wow! What an amazing entry, my friend @bikequeen!
    The blue looks wonerful!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

That’s a fabulous kit, Cricket @bikequeen, I remember building it many years ago when it first came out, I forget what happened to it.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @chinesegeorge thanks guys, its cold today so not sure how much painting I can do, but If’ I’m really quick I can get some in :). Stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Very nice choice, Cricket @bikequeen
    The blue does indeed look great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Strapped in!

• Profile Photo

Two days on the engine, had the headers on upside down and realized in time before the glue set completely. Messed up plug wires but the fuel lines were good. Reasonably satisfied with it.

Last night i started the front uprights and suspension, realized I cut the wrong part off the lower pivot and lost the part i cut of, put it aside and took the other piece and while cleaning it up i dropped it and lost it. Searched for an hour, gave up and went to bed. Laid there most of the night trying to figure how to fix it. Without those 2 pieces there would be no steering.

This morning I got up found the lost piece and while working on the upright I found the piece i cut off…..tiny little things, I glued it set it aside and presto it held. Assembled the front suspension and the steering works…wouldn’t want to put any pressure on it but it works.

Anyway here r some pics. Working on the body now but it’s not lining up right 🙁

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@airbum :). Hope so 😉

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Submit my vote for your choice of models, Cricket (@bikequeen). This blue marvel should be a fun build, and it looks like my favorite car, the old Ford GT racers from Le Mans. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Good morning, Cricket @bikequeen, it’s looking good, don’t t worry about the strength of the steering, it’s only a display model after all. Those exhausts look gorgeous by the way. @gblair, George, the Ford GT40 was to some extent based on this car wasn’t it?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I'm not sure, George (@chinesegeorge). I just checked Wikipedia and it indicated that the GT40s and the Lolas both raced at the same time and they imply they were not related other than having a similar body style. Perhaps Cricket (@bikequeen) knows?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Superb so far, my friend @bikequeen! Great that you found the cut part and reglued it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Very nicely progressing, Cricket @bikequeen
    Although it did cost you a sleepless night, it is great to hear you did found the part in the end.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge but George, you don’t understand! If Tamiya made the steering operational you can bet your a$$ im gunna do my best to make it so ;). Besides that i am OCD 🙂

• Profile Photo

Progress, welp, things are deteriorating but I’m plugging away….should have stuck to a Bike kit ;). I applied the decals to the nose and they went to hell. Any tips on using large deal as will be appreciated. (I use Walther’s Solveaset). Most times it works great.

Also while working on the nose yesterday I dropped it…it looked ok but later on I saw 2 tiny blue pieces on the floor. I assumed they were the bottom part of the fender by the wheel well. I looked this morning and the lower part of the headlight housing shattered 🙁 broke into 3 pieces during the attempted repair

The decals were trashed badly, wrinkled and just didn't lay right. I could leave them on this kit, it’s too good for that, I used masking tape and pulled most of them off, but had to resort to sanding the get the rest off. See that I had to repair the headlight anyway i went all out.

Then I used melted Sprue to repair the lower upright pivot and drilled them out for a screw.

Pics to follow and fingers crossed 🙂 Modeling is fun and relaxing, modeling is fun and relaxing, Modeling is fun and relaxing…..LOL

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.