Scratchbuilt VW type 87 (4WD), Tamiya 1/48 Type 82E donorkit

Started by Erik Gjørup · 45 · 1 year ago · 1/48, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, volkswagen, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

4WD VW

Another VW in line at HalfWorks

While I wait for spareparts for my airbrush, a VW type 82E commences conversion to a VW type 87. It is essentially the running gear of a VW Kübelwagen 4WD version with a modified Type 60 Limousine body.

There are aftermarket parts to make the Tamiya 1/48 VW type 82E look like a Type 87. This conversion only changes the wheels, wich will suffice for most as they are HUGE. However there is a lot more to it. First off, the 82E has to have the floor from a type 82 (the VW Kübelwagen). So to make it more realistic, lets have a look at the running gear of the Type 82

The wheels are larger as mentioned, and the Type 82 kit has a far more realistic front suspension.

The rear fork is also a lot more detailed and realistic

How on earth I am going to make that fit, I do not know. Some filing and carving and sanding and more of the same most likely.

The body of the Type 87 is a lot wider to accommodate the large wheels

The wings need to be cut off.

Started with a small short cut to determine the direction

And also cut off the handles to make them more realistic

Anither conversion is the canvas roof

That may be done here, or perhaps wait till another conversion.

I will cut and then start reinstalling with the appropriate shims – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Erik - I will stay tuned up and follow along.

Did this Type 82 VW have the short finger handles that pulled out and backwards?
    Those b&w photos are great by the way in conjunction with the Tamiya body.

The front fenders in the book photo look wider than the Tamiya ones. Are they? You going to cut them off or? And the one with the soft top has a radio antenna mounted on the driver's side. That vehicle looks worthy of modeling. You'll have some fun with this project for sure no matter which direction you choose.

Sure is a lot different VW than the Tamiya '66 bug I'm working on and just finished painting the body. See attached photo.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Wow, what an entry and what a challenging conversion, my friend @airbum!
    I will follow with great interest!

• Profile Photo

Sorry - I did leave out the word pic in two of my []'s - it is now corrected and should make for a better read @eb801 and @fiveten.

Eric, great questions; The fenders are actually the same on both types as far as I can tell

They extend a bit out on the Type 60/82E, and on the Type 87 they seem to end short.

The fingertype were not used on the 87, as there were a very strong and reliable (simple) solution in the original one-point handle/locking mechanism. That in connection with the relatively heavy and long bonnet hinged in the back made the weight sufficient to keep it in place.

On some woodburners the original mechanism had to give way to the installation of the stove, and springloaded holdfasts were used

Hope that ansvered your questions - and thank you for them, they gave me an excuse to sit with a nice cuppa and do some reading 🙂

I love your laterdate VW - is it too late to make a build log of it?

Another small update on its way in a few minutes.

• Profile Photo

Filling the gap

some relatively thick evergreen was used to make the extension

I sawed off the wheelguards and added small pieces of evergreen sheet I had laying around

A bit messy, but some cutting will get us closer to home

And with the guards pre-cut in shape, a test is needed

I had glued some guides in place last night – they will be removed later and just served to help keeping things aligned.

I have found this conversion a lot of fun so far, so time will fly for a one more day, interrupted by a full working weekend

• Profile Photo

Love these "extensions", my friend @airbum!
    Looking forward to see these joints smoothened!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Erik- so you did cut off the wheelguards (fenders) to extend them a tad. I will check in to see your progress while I'm on the road.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents.
    Spiros @fiveten, so do I!
    Eric @eb801, I am not entirely sure they are not too far out by now, but that is better that having to add more.
    I shall continue my quest here;

Two, no, Three to make one?

Digging a bit deeper the challenges adds up, and I sort of knew they would

Of course the Type 82 is not a 4WD, and some details have to be added. I found a drawing for the frontwheel driveshaft of a Schwimmwagen (type 128), stating it is the same as Type 87!

The front suspension is the same on a Type 82, and the Tamiya desert version might fit the bill

Of course it is also without driveshaft, but the floor will be useful in the Type 87, as it is the same.

Now, Schwimmwagen you said?

Yes indeed, the Tamiya Type 166 has the needed parts!

To get moving I may source these, ending up with using three kits to make one 1/48 bubble! Well, that is the reality if you want to make something a bit different, and after all a kit does not cost a lot more than buying AM parts – only AM parts does not exist for this conversion – that is, the wheels does, and I have ordered a set from Hauler – and some PE too. (and a set of custommade 3D wheels for a roadversion of the type 82E – perhaps a type 60, but that is for another day)

• Profile Photo

What a deep thoughts conversion, my friend @airbum!
    Three kits to make a correct one?
    You may use the leftover parts to make a whatif prototype Beetle version!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten. Check this, as I discover that I have ine kit too many 🙂

too small!

The plans get changed as I discover the “truth”

Sadly the axle track on the type 166 is shorter that on a type 128, and far too narrow for a type 87, let alone a type 82. On top of that the wheelbase is also shorter. The wheelbase for the type 82 and the type 82E are the same in the kits (as they ought to be)

To compare I made some dryassembly, and measured things
    First the 82’s

And finally the 166. Huge difference, that will make the driveshaft and arms useless.

The aft wheels do however have the correct reductiongrar on the wheel.

This is actually duplicated in the Type 82, and time will tell how the Hauler wheels do look in comparison.

next up will be some progress of the disassembly – not for the fainthearted!

• Profile Photo

Hard, but useful to discover the truth, my friend @airbum!
    Well, things can only get better from now on.
    I love seeing serious mods and scratch building, my gut telling me that I will be totally satisfied here... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you @fiveten - and now some;

Surgery!

The saw is brought out and it is time for more plastic dust

As I wanted to get the floor and stuff right for a type 87, I decided to mix the two bottom frames into one.

A tip from woodworking; use a shiny blade, and when the mirror image looks to be at the same angle as the original, the cut is at 90 degrees.

Saw alone does not do the trick, so out came the small screwdrill to chaindrill along the edges not reachable by saw.

And then some knifework. . .

Testing the fit

The sideboards need some filling as they now need to be wider.

And the bumper?

Looks spot on compared to the earlier picture I think . that’s a wrap!

next up I might install the wheelguards, or perhaps finish the floor – stay tuned

• Profile Photo

Love it, my friend @airbum!
    Also loved the right angle mirror trick!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten. another update here;

Instrumentpanel and rear compartment

I did not quite get to finishing the floor

As it seems like I have to think a lot about how I cut and add. The instrumentpanel got its glovecompartments drilled out though

And some cut sprue glued to the back. I koop getting a bit impressed by the nice edge Tamiya has on these, not clearly visible to the eye in a jiff, but always showing up in my pictures.

As the floor from the Type 82 is to be used, I have to find a way to install the backseat and the transmission mix.

I have to combine the walls and the seat from the 82E and the underfloor and transmission from the 82.

I just realise I forgot to make a photosession of the wheelguards installation. It will all be seen finished in the next post I think – tune in again soon

• Profile Photo

It is a quiet life here in W-I-P-automotive, but anyway the log continues 🙂

Wheelguards

This morning I plastered the wheelguards in LqS

Just a few dots on the outside, smoothened with some extra thin glue, using the brush in the lid

Still need some finetuning when it is dry

The insides have a nasty hole in the original kit.

I used the wheelguards from the Type 82 to fill in one, and will come back and do the other one later when the LqS has dried a bit in order not to mess that up.

The rear extensions got bathed on the inside in LqS and extra thin glue

And needs to harden a bit too before more work is done in that area

While the fumes gets the hardening going, attention may be turned towards the floor and interior again