Scratchbuilt VW type 87 (4WD), Tamiya 1/48 Type 82E donorkit

Started by Erik Gjørup · 45 · 1 year ago · 1/48, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, volkswagen, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Spiros.
    eric, I have indeed been away far to long. Hope to get a few more builds moving now. You may want to down-scale your VW builds 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Wheels

Unpacked the resin wheels last night

While they had arrived a while back, I had not been able to check how they looked on the thing.

Quite a difference between the resin and kit wheels
    As you may recall, the running gear is from a Kubelwagen kit, and the difference between the wheels for that one and the 82E is rather large too. The 82E kit has the axels set too low, and by using a Kubelwagen gear the Hauler Wheels need modifying to fit, as they of course are plug-and-play replacements for the 82E kit.
    Some comparisons;

The 82E has inserts on the outside to make two different versions
    A testfit reveals the need to change some details

The front axle needs to be moved forward a bit, and either I shall thin the anchor plates or carve the resin wheels out a bit. Not too happy with the last bit as my workbench is located in the livingroom!

now, what about that roof you may ask – well, I got sidetracked. Tune in again to see if I ever get around to do anything about it

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Those wheels look nice, my friend @airbum!
    Quite a size difference!
    Really looking forward to see where this amazing build (ok, major conversion) will lead. One thing for sure: it is a joy to follow!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Really nice work @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thank you for the comments @fiveten and @michel-verschuere. A very small update this time.

LOOK OUT

In order to look out the windows, I think some thinner glass may be in order?

The kit-glass is extremely thick, and I want to be able to see all the gearlevers and stuff

Some Tamiya tape on the inside, a splash of primer, and a pen, then it is on to the knife to make some nice thin pieces of clear “glass”.

next post will hopefully not be 6 months away? Tune in to check later!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Always a pleasure to follow your updates, my friend @airbum! Your 82E looks better and better!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

My first look at this build, Erik @airbum
    Read through the entire thread and you did some great work already.
    Beautiful scratchbuild work so far.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten, @michel-verschuere and @johnb, the build continues!

Time flies!

Almost 8 months since the last update on the Typ 87!

Well, that only guarantees the paint is dry and the glue has set. . . .

Anyway, earlier on I did share some thoughts wether to open the roof or not, and @eb801 did comment that a canvas roof would look cool.

Open it is – I started by chaindrilling the edges, then some sawing and now a lot of cleanup and finetuning will follow.

The open roof does indeed let you see everything!

and that makes the effort to change the interior a lot more interesting.

So, more filing and sanding and filling etc to follow, and within a year or so it should be possible to make another update. Always a great excuse to sip some coffee and catch up on some reading about the type when the intervals are this big 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A brilliant idea to open up that roof, my friend @airbum! A brave one, too, as some extra work will be ahead of you. The final result will be no less than spectacular!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

A canvas rooftop will look amazing, Erik @airbum.
    You are really searching for challenges I must admit.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great thread this one @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 2 months ago:

@airbum - Erik, this is an amazing build log. You're dedication to accuracy is quite astounding. I can't wait to see how you handle the canvas!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten, @johnb, @michel-verschuere and @brithebuilder. The canvas is still a bit away, and a few details need to be adressed first.

LqS!

While the Liquified Styrene was out, the Typ 87 also got a few drops.

As with the Typ 60, it is a rather thin mix, and it really wants to run.

Well, a few turning the lot and it seemed to settle more or less where I want it. I also added a sheet of styrene to the locating tap for the windscreen as I will make a new one.

next up I have to do a lot of armchair research to make sure the canvas roof will look right!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nice use of LqS, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Practical use of this thinned LqS, Erik @airbum