Scratchbuilt VW type 87 (4WD), Tamiya 1/48 Type 82E donorkit

Started by Erik Gjørup · 45 · 1 year ago · 1/48, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, volkswagen, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Well, it might be a quiet life here in the Automotive GB, but it's a nice and very exciting life whatsoever, my friend @airbum!

Love what you did with the glove compartments! Yours truly would have definely painted them black and "leave as is". Well, not any more (process "copied" 🙂 )

I so much love seeing what LqS can do with your sklills, I bet it would take a lot more effort to achieve the above results with more "conventional" methods/materials.

I have to say your results look spectacular, so far!

P.S. I am tempted to enter an automotive build here (the Tamiya New Beetle)...it is just that so many GBs/projects are currently running; good thing that te setup of this GB allows for some breathing...

I will definitely enter my New Beetle not that long from now...

Looking forward to your progress! You do an amazing job here!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

@fiveten, I shall be looking forward to the New Beetle when time and space allows yet another PFP build.

I like these small cars - in fact just bought 5 more of them and have a few conversions in the stash, so some more may be on the way. It is a lot of fun to improve on the Tamiya MM range in general as they are such nice kits to start with - highly reccomended, and a lot of them will be looking good parked next to a 109 (or other plane). A selection of Marseilles' 109s will look better with a Kübelwagen parked near them. Just sayin' 🙂

• Profile Photo

Roughly there

The parts seems to fit – more or less

With yet another day of tuning, the major parts are just about there

The lot was dryfitted for a photoshoot

Enginecompartment looks a lot more detailed by now

And the 15:21 gear from the Type 82 looks a lot better that the kit-supplied straight axle

Some sawing and cutting and sanding has taken place

And even more LqS’ing here and there with a lot more to come.

It is off to another few days at work before I get time for serious modeling again, perhaps a little here and there, but the shifts at work are rather long these days

• Profile Photo

Getting there, my friend @airbum!
    Looking amazingly realistic for the scale!
    Yep, life, work etc gets into our modeling way, but, at least, this increases eagerness, doesn't it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. Another update is here @fiveten

Primetime

I have been sanding and filling a few days

The second gearlever has been installed (for the 4WD)

and the handbrake has been moved.

With that dry, it is time to add a first round of primer

As expected quite a few spots need attention, so it is off to dry and then some more sanding

I suppose it is time to shift to paintfiller to get it all smoothened for final primer and paint. I still have to decide if I will install a “rolldach” canvas roof

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @airbum!
    Mmmmm, still indecisive about the roof...
    Looking forward to your "filler" paint and your roof decision!
    P.S. I really don't mind about things being quiet and smooth here in the automotive GB, in fact I love it so much that I might start my 1/24 Tamiya Beetle not that long from now...and let it build "nice'n'slow", no "pressure" whatsoever...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten, with all the time it takes to make a small beetle it is just as well that things are quiet here 🙂

Another update comin' up in a minute.

• Profile Photo

Now, what about that roof

well, still not decided yet, so lets get going with some other stuff

The seats have had their backs filled by LqS

That look a lot better than the hollowed out ones OOB

And when a hole gets filled another needs deepening – I guess? The IP had the glovecompartments carved out earlier and was installed today

And just one more testfit – getting there!

next up some more filling I suppose – the sidepanels needs attention, and the extended wheelguards need some paintfiller and sanding. Who would have known a small beetle could take all that time to build? – oh and that roof. . . . .

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@airbum - nice to see some more progress on your VW. You certainly have put a lot of extra work into this. Seems to me you can spare yourself a lot of time and extra grief if you stick to the hard top but i can see why you are tempted to tackle a canvas roof as that would look really cool.

I've got three builds going on now, so my '66 Bug is stalled at the moment. The windows are a bit of a grunt getting them to fit and stay put with white glue.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That's some good progress, my friend @airbum.

Love it so far!

Eagerly wauting for your roof decision.

My friend @eb801, like you, I have quite a few ongoing projects, so, though I have no plans to jump into building, i decided to start a thread for my Tamiya New Beetle, here, in this quiet but wonderful Automotive Group...

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents - I think I have decided for a canvas roof. Perhaps. Maybe. Most likely. Definitely. - but the next thing now that it is decided is wether to leave it open or closed! As I see it the hole will make it a lot easier to finish the last bits of the interior after overall paint, but finishing it open will make the entire interior a lot more visible. The decision is driven by the fact that I think most of these were delivered with the canvas roof. Stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to it, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@eb801, I still haven’t decided on the roof – a decision has to be made rather soon though! Could be the sculpted canvas roof and leave it closed might work?
    thanks @fiveten, a bit more done today.

Gathering dust

like a lot of my builds, the Typ 87 has been gathering dust

I did manage to get the fill made for the step

Now, some dustoff and it is on with the paintfiller and sandingsticks
    And a look at the infills

Found a piece of card just the right thickness

thanks for stopping by – tune in again

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice to see the Typ87 build progressing, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Glad to see you are back at it @airbum. You've been MIA lately. If you are happy with the interior, I vote for the open canvas roof.

I got irritated with the quality of the Tamiya VW kit and stopped working on it.