VW Pick Up, Tamiya / CMK 1/48 FINISHED!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 65 · 1 year ago · 1/48, airbum, beetle, CMK, conversion, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, Type 82E, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looks nice, despite the imperfections, my friend @airbum.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Stopped by to see the latest (I get your VW builds mixed up sometimes). Considering your paint battles, I think it's turning out very nicely. That's an interesting idea - replacing the kit windows with a sheet of clear evergreen. Seems like that would be a lot of extra work.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you for the comments Spiros and Eric.

@fiveten, I have to say I like the little bug, and it will definitely not be the last VW conversion!

@eb801, so do I 🙂 no matter what little faults it is a nice little bug. I do not think the replacement windows will be all that difficult (Famous last words?), and I even have considered making some on my new cutting machine! It should be able to cut thin acetate, but if not, I have a friend with a more serious cutting machine that may be up to the task. Time will tell. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Erik - what's going on with your VW builds? Taking a break?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Yep, let me also be a gentle motivator, too, my friends! Looking forward to see this beauty coming along!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Yep - I am in need of spareparts for both airbrushes, and the importer is taking his time. I may have to revert to brushes. . . .

Well, keep checking @eb801 and @fiveten, all of a sudden they pop up again 🙂

(I have commisioned some other tyres, but they need to be made first, so no rush to get the rest done)

Thank you for the support!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Ahhh - parts for the airbrush has arrived! Now all I need is time. . . .

First a few days at work, but probably next week. . . . 😉

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Erik: yes, time is always a continual problem especially at this time of year. I remember a great line in a movie where the daughter asked her Korean War vet depressed Dad why he never had a “real” job. His answer was something like “Because a job (work) prevents a person from accomplishing what they really want to do in life”. Actor Sam Elliot in “Off The Map”.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Ahhhhhh, airbrush goodies arrived, my friend @airbum!
    Yep, my friend @eb801, time is always a problem; but, on the other hand, limited time boosts mojo!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What a long week, lasting a little over half a year! I had my airbrush thoroughly cleaned today, taking it completely apart, reassembled it and - no such luck. . . .
    It spluttered all over the place, so now I will throw out the needle and cap, renew everything in front of the paintcup, and see if that does the trick (did have a go at my old Badger, but the result was not at all good) I have been away from the paintbooth far to long.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

more paint

With the airbrush sort of sorted, painting continues

Back in February, I did paint some bumpers with molotow chrome

It could be better, but lets see if they will work

Today I gave the car another round of paint

A lot of unevenness is revealed, but I think I can live with most of it. Some may be touched up.

next up I hope to be on wheels – tune in to check

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@airbum - Nice to see you're back on this again. What did you think of that Molotow chrome? I find as long as I don't touch it with my fingers ever, it's not bad stuff. Chrome paint is hard to get it just right. I have yet to find the secret.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Good to see it back on track, my friend @airbum!
    Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@eb801, I tried the molotow pen on handles and headlights, and it seems to be a matter of just add, then stop and leave it - it flows nicely to a uniform appearance as it dries. I still have to try to glue the glass to the headlights, and if all else fails they can have some paint to simulate blackout headlights. @fiveten, @holzhamer, @michel-verschuere, @jamesb, thanks all for having visited this build now and then.

Today I had a letter that I have been very keen to get. . . .

Civil wheels

Today a letter arrived

It contained three different sets of wheels I had commissioned at a 3D designer in France that also creates resin stuff. We have been working on these for a long time, the designer obtaining the original dimensions and all.

There are three different hubcabs to choose from

And the pattern look a lot nicer than the original kit wheels.

I testfitted them on my pickup

With the originals on the other side.

They seem a bit oversize

So now it is back to the drawingboard.

I will make a OOB build to compare them, but right now I think they need to be smaller, at least for a civvie. They may be cool for a typ 82E though. Stay tuned. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

You have certainly departed for good from whatever the "original" had been, my friend @airbum! Your searching for perfection is really remarkable, and I am joyfully watching your steps! I cannot comment about those tires being oversize, but I can certainly state that they look gorgeous!