VW Pick Up, Tamiya / CMK 1/48 FINISHED!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 65 · 1 year ago · 1/48, airbum, beetle, CMK, conversion, halfworks, quarterscale, Tamiya, Type 82E, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Good to see this blog back in action. It is turning out pretty nice. I like the tires you commisioned, but agree they do look a little oversized. Might be great for military version. Very nice resin work though none the less!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Erik@airbum - Those tires you commissioned do look too big and the other kit wheels look like they belong on a jeep or a 4x4 truck. So it's back to the drawing board huh? I would like to see a bit more detail in the center of the wheel, personally. Those are hub caps, right? Tread looks really good. Seems to me, once you guys dial these in, other modelers might be interested in them. Or is this just a one shot experiment? Regardless, I am amazed you found someone to take this on. Next thing you know, we will all be buying 3D printers to add to our modeling arsenal. I note that's what Michael B. over at Cybermodeler.com is doing.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Just noticed this thread, Erik @airbum
    Don't know why I missed it.
    Your Beetle project is amazing, love to see how you tackle this.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten, I have some new ones to compare the size by.
    @luftwaffe-birdman, and finally some more progress.
    @eb801, I think I will pass for now on the purchase of a 3D printer. The re-worked wheels are here.
    Thanks @johnb, it is one of three WV’s I got going.
    Perhaps I could also interest @michel-verschuere with this log?

A letter arrived today

It contained one of each 3D-printed prototypes that had been made from a reworked drawing

The three wheels are plain hubcab, KdF-logo hubcab and finally the late version also seen on Kübelwagen’s

Wich one will be used in this build has not been determined yet.

Plain

Used for the Typ 60 and some 82E versions, as well as the cars made after the war for allied occupation troops.

KdF logotype

Also general version for most cars (especially early ones)

And the “flat” version

Mostly used by the military and some paramilitary cars

And finally, just a testfit to get a feel of what to expect

next post probably when the finished wheels arrive. I have to decide if I will make them in resin and offer them to others, or it will just be 3D-printed one-offs (maybe a very limited batch in print?)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice wheels, my friend @airbum! Clearly 3D printing will expand modeling horizons!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Definitely a nice set of wheels for that Beetle, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@airbum - I echo what Spiros and John said about those 3D printed wheels. Not bad looking. The embossed iron crosses on the hubs stands out. It will be interesting to see what the next batch of wheels look like. Question: is that a vent on the rear of the bed?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you gentlemen. 3D printing certainly brings in new possibilities for those who posesses the skill to make items. I have to think if I want to have a few 3D-printed wheels or if I will ask for some resincast sets. Only problem with that is the only way to make it economical is to get some 40 sets made. I think they will be better looking as the prints need to be prepared for the castings.
    Eric @eb801, yes indeed those louvres are there to cool the engine. The original car has those just below the rearview window, and to make this version work they have moved down to the sides.

Same engine, a bit more air-cooled.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman, @eb801, @fiveten and @Johnb, a parcel arrived today

ARRIVAL!

a bagful of wheels (some 50 sets) came in the mail today

I simply just had to dryfit them with some gum

They may look a bit on the thin side, but the original ones were rather thin. Those up-close shots shows I have a lot of clean-up to do on the pickup.

For those not wanting to convert their Typ 82E to a pickup, here you have a dryfit on a OOB kit

A very different car – right?

next up I have to make some progress on all my VW’s. Hopefully the garden can wait a bit. . . .

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Those are nice looking wheels, Erik @airbum
    Guessing you didn't dry fit all of them 😉

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years ago:

all right Erik @airbum ! Those wheels certainly put you back in action. They look great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Great looking wheels indeed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@fiveten, @eb801, @jamesb, @holzhamer, @michel-verschuere, @luftwaffe-birdman and @johnb, thank you for comments and encouragement during this conversion, using a severely damaged kit as the base. Today I took a day off, and managed to finish the pick-up!

On the road!

Finally ready to hit the road with my pick-up.

It is not my best work, but as it hat a load of trouble enroute, I am actually pleased with the result

As can be read in the log, it started with a badly damaged body. It got a AM pick-up rear from CMK, and finally I commissioned the manufacture of new wheels to fit a civil car.

Hope you like the result – feel free to leave a final comment as I move on to get more bugs on the road.

Happy modelling – keep it fun!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Very nice! @airbum a joy to see this one come about!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Nice to see this bug finally finished, Erik @airbum. What an ordeal but it sure turned out great!