VW type 82E, Tamiya 1/48 FINISHED!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 79 · 1 year ago · 1/48, airbum, beetle, car, civil, Haldværk, interwar, käfer, Tamiya, typ 82, vehicle, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @airbum!

Looks great!

Chrome for the handles and bumpers might be an option, too, as I think, many civillian Beetles by that time sported them. During those harsh times, I don't believe an "owner" would strive to paint the chrome parts; he'd just leave them "as is".

I found this pic form the Official VW webpage, showing a production line of civillian Beetles, dated 11 July 1941, where you can see the chrome bumpers and handles:

Link to this pic:

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/group/history/chronicle/1937_1945.html

So, I vote for chrome bumpers and handles!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you for the link Spiros. Sadly your included picture did not make it to the post, but I found it via the link. (and also thank you for the vote @fiveten 😉 )

• Profile Photo

Oh, my! Those bugs! I have to double check my postings!
    I went up and corrected it, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

At the above pic, I noticed that the next to last sports off-road tyres, like yours, my friend @airbum.
    Also, two types of headlights can be seen!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great one!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

This is a very cool photo that our friend Spiros @fiveten
    has shared with us...

Erik, @airbum
    Now that we have photographic evidence, my vote is for you to build yours with chrome bumpers and door handles, just like the ones have in this picture. You have definitely made some great progress.

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    I thought so too ... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you gentlemen. Actually a batch of Molotow re-fill arrived today, so I just may have to experiment with the airbrush - it says that it is alcohol-based, so I guess some IPA may do the trick of thinning it. Experimentation will take place! (later that is - it is off to another 7 day stint at work tomorrow, and I do not think I will be airbrushing in the evenings)

Spiros (@fiveten), Thank you again for link, picture and vote my friend.

Michel (@michel-verschuere), I do like the 1/48 offerings from Tamiya - they bild well enough OOB, and it is actually possible to get quite a lot of AM products for them.

Louis (@lgardner), duly noted 🙂

• Profile Photo

Rolling!

The wheels were assembled today, and the bug-shape testfitted

It all fitted nicely, but I also found that one more round of paint is needed as it is a bit thin on the front left windowpost and on the inside.

And so it will be taken apart and while the runninggear dries I can go back and re-spray the car.

Soon it will be time to experiment with the Molotow liquid Chrome in the airbrush!

next up I hope to have some Chrome bumpers to show – be sure to tune in by then!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik: what a great choice and all that extra work is really paying off. Stick some wings from your 109 stash and you’ll have a VolkSchmitt. All kidding aside, Molotov Chrome airbrushes perfectly. Just let it completely dry and don’t get any skin oils on it.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, my friend @airbum!
    The rear lights formation process sounds very promising.
    Looking forward to it, as well as to the bumpers chrome plating!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks absolutely fabulous!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Eric (@eb801), thank you for the tip on the Molotow! I'm not entirely sure the pusher-engine will do well in a VolkSchmitt - being wood fired and all, it may be a little low on HP.

Spiros (@fiveten), So do I 🙂

Thank you Michel (@michel-verschuere)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Bump – not bumpers

and most certainly no chrome

My continued saga with me not fully appreciating the use of Acrylic ended in disaster the other day. I had been cleaning my airbrush – or so I thought – and wanted to give my beetle a second round of paint. The airbrush was not happy at all, and I were a bit frustrated, so I thinned the paint a bit more than I liked.

Well, not a great result, and I ended up trying to remove the paint. In my frustration I just filled the airbrush with thinner and started removing the paint. This is the result so far.

Now, was it oven cleaner or brake cleaner you said? I shall go back in topics and check what has been said about removing paint, then it will be cleaned up, and I shall start again with the paint (third time lucky?)

I am not entirely sure if I want to continue this right away, so saty tuned and check what happens

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Pity about your mishap, my friend @airbum...
    Maybe this will help...
    https://feltmagnet.com/painting/various-ways-to-remove-dried-acrylic-paint
    As a note, keep an eye on how those paint removers might affect the base styrene.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for the link Spiros. However this is Xtracolor Enamel paint, but I shall have a look anyway - cannot harm to check 🙂