VW type 82E, Tamiya 1/48 FINISHED!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 79 · 1 year ago · 1/48, airbum, beetle, car, civil, Haldværk, interwar, käfer, Tamiya, typ 82, vehicle, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Primed

And in preparation for the primer I re-scribed some lines

Still some minor cleaning up to do

Now that the tools were out, I decided to open the doorhandles as well. . . .

next up will most likely be after some successful painting – fingers crossed

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks as good as new and with the open door handles even better!
    Guess that IPA worked!
    I agree with Pedro. I am becoming a big fan of Vallejo acrylics and am rapidly abandoning Tamiya, my previous go to now that ModelMaster is kaput

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Fingers crossed for the painting, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents

Eric @eb801, the IPA worked wonders - I still have my dinosaur brain telling me that I prefer to work with enamel, but I guess Laquer will be a lot shinier for civil cars.

@fiveten, first round went well - pictures in a minute.

• Profile Photo

minor masking and first layer

First layer went well

I started by painting the interior, then some masks (the insides have some painted metal parts on these)

Ordinary yellow tape cut to fit

And with that masked, it was on with the first thin layer of paint

I have to say that I am very pleased with the result

trying not to jinx the next round, it was the second layer that went haywire the last time! I have to decide if I will let it sit a day or two or have a go after I posted this. Time will tell

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

You should be very pleased with the result. It looks darned good and that seam has disappeared,at least from this vantage point. What a great recovery! You're back on the track.

Regarding lacquers and car models: I agree wholeheartedly that car bodies should be painted in lacquer just like their 1/1 cousins. I like to decant lacquer from rattle cans - particularly, Tamiya. I just wear a mask, spray it directly into a small jar and let all the gases escape for 30-40 minutes. I've never needed to thin it. Then I pour it into the airbrush cup and mist spray from about 12>6 inches away slowly building up the paint and moving closer with each pass to the point where I like the color depth. The trick is knowing when to pull back and quit before the paint runs. A nice but not too heavy "wet look" is what I'm aiming for. When I can't find the lacquer color I need, I'll go to my local auto parts store that has a paint counter for the body shops around here. I do use acrylics for the rest of the vehicle.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Back on track indeed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you for the comments and info - I do appreciate it @eb810 and @fiveten. Another small update comin' right up, but be aware it is not for the fainthearted!

• Profile Photo

Try and try and try again

Having admitted that I am not on friendly terms with acrylics, I try to airbrush Chrome

Now, I simply do not know what I do wrong, but I have trouble to get acrylic paint to cooperate. Some of the problem may be down to gaskets or stuff. I loaded my old Badger 150 with some Molotow Liquid Chrome and got the party started.

The results of a lot of struggling is seen above. I could not get the airbrust to deliver, and had to move the trigger to get things flowing, but in waves. When I spray, I move the trigger back, and hitting the sweet spot it lets out paint, but not for long – pulling further back does not help, and I have to move the trigger a lot to get paint flowing in waves. When cleaning in IPA I could get it to flow reasonably well, so I may have to thin the chrome?

I may have to read the manual one of these days.

Well, these bugs are supposed to be hardworking anyway, so the chrome do not need to be perfect, and I may even have to add some rust. If you read the manual, please leave a comment what to do with the trigger

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Erik - I use an old single action Paasche H with medium tip and I have no problem spraying Molotow straight out of the pen which I pour directly into the cup. I never thin it. It think that would be a big mistake. (Does Molotow make a thinner?)

Perhaps the acrylic gremlins are trying to tell you something. I wonder if thinning acrylic paint with IPA would work?

• Profile Photo

Eric - I did give it a try with IPA to clean the brush after the session, and the Molotow reacted beautifully to it. I did pout directly in the cup for the airbrush session however, and apart from me using too little, it worked OK - apart from the airbrush issues. I have ordered new parts but had no reply so far, so I may have to order elsewhere. By the way, I did try some Valejo Flow improver before the IPA (and after I had painted), and it seemed to work with the Molotow, but more tests may have to be made. It is a very useful addition to the arsenal of paints this Chrome stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The acrylic gremlins have to realise who the boss is, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, I sure will my friend @fiveten. Sadly spring comes early this year (Yeah right - we still have a month where snow and frost may come sneaking), but between work and the garden time slips. . . I may have to get up at 4 to get something done before being off to work 😀

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Gettting up at 4 to get something done before being off to work is the quintessence of modeling dedication, my friend @airbum.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Painted!

Finally I got around to the second layer of paint

I have dug out my crocodileclampfootholdfastthing, and it just made painting so easy!

I will have to get back when the paint is fully cured to check if it needs another round, but so far it looks OK

It will of course need some polish or stuff the remove the dust. I simply had to let it sit on the wheels

And even though it looks nice on its wheels, there are still a lot of small details to attend to. (the different color is due to different lamps - wait till it sets out in natural light to judge the color)

As always, thanks for stopping by, comments are of course welcome. Tune in again later.