Another P-40

Started by Tom Rodgers · 5 · 6 years ago · Air Fix, Flying Tigers, P-40
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I'll also be doing the Airfix new tool 1/48 P-40. It will be mostly OOB except for some Eduard PE fiddly bits. The Flying Tigers were my heroes when I was a kid back in the 50's. Before I retired from the Air Force in '91, I flew A-10's with the 23 TFW Flying Tigers.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

My very first kit was the old Revell 1/32 P-40 "Flying Tiger's" version. I have always held a warm spot in my heart for these planes, especially one from the AVG.

So you flew A-10's ? My hat's off to you Sir.

One of you A-10 "driver's" took the very top section of the vehicle radio antennae off my tank, while we were road marching with the rest of our tank column, through the desert north of Ft. Bliss.

I was really impressed with how you guys would pull up into tight turns and then vanish using the terrain. The pilot left dust trail vortexes from his wing tips as he buzzed along the entire length of our tank column. I was impressed, and grinning from ear to ear... My poor loader though, he was terrified.

I have seen how the Gatling gun works... I'm glad you guys were on "our" side. It looked as if a fire hose was turned on and sprayed out a red hot solid stream of fire. The noise sounded like a chain saw running at wide open throttle.

Very impressive to say the least. As an old tanker, I owe you a few beers... if you imbibe.

Thanks for posting my friend. (and thanks for your service too). Hand salute Sir.

Welcome aboard to our Group Build ! I'll be looking forward to watching this one come along.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for the good words Louis. Thinking about it now, I might do a 23 TFW Flying Tiger A-10 I flew instead. Hmmmmmm...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

nice choices, did the A 10 have tiger markings ?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

That would really be cool if it did ... I found some pictures of an M-1 Abrams with "Bill the Cat" markings on it. What ever you decide to build is ok by me. Please keep the Cat theme going though.