Du-cat-i 916, Tamiya 1/12

Started by Johannes Gerl · 33 · 5 years ago · 1/12, 916, Ducati, motorbike, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 10 months ago:

My contribution: Tamiya's 1996 rendition of arguably the queen of motorbike history, the Ducati 916. As I just figured out, the reference picture must have been taken in 1997 on a motorbike tour to Toscana.
    Apart form the fun doing this GB together with you guys, that also makes it something like a personal 20th anniversary build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

A creative but welcome stretch to slide into the "feline" category!

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I wish I'd thought of that one first!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

That is a great Du-Cat-i . Wonderful Italian motorbikes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for starting the build thread ! This one will be a fascinating bike... I've never drove a Du- Cat-I. I have owned a lot of Motorcycles over the years, but never one of these. My last bike was a Harley Davidson "Fatboy". It was a red "Fire Fighter" Special Edition. I miss that one... I had to sell it about 3 years ago when I got hurt and couldn't reach the handlebars anymore. I have since recovered enough to where I think I could ride again.

Great choice, and welcome aboard. I'll be watching this one...
    Thanks again !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice one Halvar, also nice HD Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 9 months ago:

A real beauty, your HD, Louis. I like it when they're red.

Some of you guys are really pushing on the cats. At my end in the meantime at least the kit has arrived.
    It's that typical Tamiya thing: flawless sprues, nice package, everything breathes quality.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I would expect nothing less from tamiya! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this mate. Have you built a bike before?
    This kit is on my list of ones to do before I die! But my plan is to convert it to a race bike.
    I see Ducati have just unveiled their final panigale R, and have announced they will be developing four cylinder bikes...

• Profile Photo

Hi Richard. Yes, I did bikes before, some of the projects 30 years back and some 20. I also did this kit of the 916 before, but the model got lost.
    Four cylinder Ducatis are something that I will have to get used to. I'm not sure whether I will be able to.

• Profile Photo

With the Sukhoi waiting for my usual clear coat blues to go away, I had some time to start with the engine of the Du-cat-i.

Given that this kit was released 20 years ago, the moulding quality is quite impressing. Like in reality, the crank case of the model is divided vertically. Unlike in reality, however, the cylinders are casted in one piece with the crank case meaning that the connection surfaces to intake and exhaust system need some attention to be levelled properly.

The clutch actuator was neglected entirely by the kit designers and the according hydraulic line is attached to a horizontal pin perpendicular to the longitunal axis of the bike. Not good. A scratch built actuator solved the problem.

This kit has many high points, e.g. the Ducati letters at different places of the engine, but the whole airbox and intake system was not Tamiyas finest hour. Especially the injectors are rather a product of phantasy. Removing the locator pins made sure that the connection plates could be thinned down to a more realistic size and some scratch building of the fuel hoses and electric plugs will hopefully make the whole area look reasonably busy.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Midsummer hits southern central Europe with well above 35 degrees these days and I've decided to close down the work shop for some weeks. It's just too hot. Here's for the moment a last update on the Ducati. The engine is finished and I've put some emphasis on getting right all colours and especially the sheen. A dozen of Mr. Paint metallic paints and thee different kinds of Clear have been used to get there.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One major take-aways of my last post: don't call it a summer too early.

Tamiya offers a one part design of the rear shock absorber with an additional part for the external oil reservoir. Unfortunately connecting these would require major gluing operations of parts already painted and also the entire thing is covered with numerous ejector pin marks. I therefore cut off the original piston rod and replaced it with some styrene. Upper and lower part could now be cleaned up, built and painted separately and they eventually came together by connecting them with the rod.
    Another weak part of the kit is the chain cover. It's way too thick, the brake line is clumsily moulded onto it (resulting in a semicircular shape) and the connectors to the vinyl tube representation of the brake line are out of position. I removed all that, sanded the cover down to about half the size and replaced the brake line with a scratch built one.
    Major time and effort was invested to paint the fantastic chain and sprocket part. Though the hub and and the sprocket both look kind of silverish, in reality they are made of aluminum and plated steel which I tried to represent with different paints and clear coats.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

WOW !
    If I didn't know better, I would think I was looking at full sized Ducati parts... This one is going to be fantastic ! (thanks for the updates).

Is the blue on the sprockets some sort of liquid mask ?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Morne.
    Yes, that's the liquid mask product from Microscale. I like the fact that it's water-soluble.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Lovely work Johannes, looking good.