Kitty Hawk `1/48th Sepecat Jaguar GR.1, RAF, Operation Granby

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 77 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Getting back to the Jag, so far the progress has been slow but steady. Each step involves a lot of assembly for each part seems like. But has gone together well to this point. The rear section/engine area is quite complicated and really wish that Kitty Hawk didn't get so involved with having the complete engines and separate engine panels. And as I thought, ran into a little snag.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

So let's get started and figure out what happened, let's start with the engines. Most kits or let say other manufacturers that supply engines are normally an option and can just build them for display or exposed. In this case the engines need to be built and you know in hindsight I could've probably been able to just somehow modify the engine faces and nozzles to fit without them. As I did find that the fit through out the build so far was quite tight. So why would this part of the process be any different. The engines went together ok. Since the engine bays doors would be closed I still went ahead and airbrushed MM non buffing Steel. Then again removing the injection stubs from with each engine half before assembly. Leaving the exhaust off, these I will install after the paint scheme is applied. Next is to install each engine into the rear section of the fuselage, the fit here was not precise, and test fitting the engine bay doors was not very good here, leaving a good sized gap in between the engines underneath. Major seam clean up will be the name of the game here. The honeymoon is over on this one. But next up is some sub assy work and then see how well I can fix this section before moving on to the next step on the airframe. More to follow.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

This is turning out very well Chuck. The PE parts look great too and help to add some details. I have often wondered why occasionally some kit manufacturers make things more complicated than necessary ... Maybe to get the "parts count" higher ? Or to simply make the kits more of a challenge for modelers ? Who knows for sure ?

Keep plugging away at it and you will prevail. Meanwhile what you have done with this one really looks great.

Thanks for posting...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Louis, thanks for the encouragement. I have run into a snag in this project, but I figured out what I will do. I can deal with some of the parts not fitting well or the extra work in getting the airframe prepped. The vague instructions, missing steps and pages. It still shaping up to what it should be. Will keep at it.

• Profile Photo

This session will assemble the wings. Which can also be configured with lowered flaps and slats. This will enhance the kit a bit. This step I will just assemble the wings and install them. 1st is to open up the holes for the pylons which I will install later in the build. No trouble this time. Though the fit of the tabs were tight into slots on the fuselage, the went in with a snap and that was it. More to follow. Finally taking shape.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like quite a cool machine, Chuck. I see what you mean regarding complicated models. I have one of those challenging builds going on right now that caused me to quit the assembly process. I have one of the awesome new Rye Field M1A1 models and it has 8 pieces PER each track block! Heck, the REAL tank's track blocks only have 13 pieces & that includes the bolts & nuts! I got about 6" of track done before I quit for a break. That was 8 months ago. Now, I'm more interested in getting my Crusader ready for the KassPass Group Build, so the M1A1 is on the back burner for a while more!

Any-who, your Jag is looking great but I don't envy you all the sanding & putty work to go.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, yes it is finally taking shape, and yes it will need a little more work to clean up the airframe. I dusted off a Panzer IV L/70 and hope to get started it on it again. Been on the back burner for at least 5 years. Time to get crackin on it.

• Profile Photo

A new snag appeared when it came to the next step in the build. Missing a whole page with 3 steps involved in the instruction booklet. Page 16 is missing. This involves the vertical tail, avionics hump and lower strakes among the bits to install. So basically ad libbed going with experience. First installing the avionics hump on top of the fuselage located right behind the cockpit. Next something rather unusual too me, the vertical tail. You get 2 options which one is for the Jaguar International or the French version and of course the RAF Gr.1 tail. But the GR.1 tail is just like the upper portion (pic3). The main tail as provided is short, but how do you install the rest of it? So after going over all the sprues to see if I missed it some how. No joy. So not to worry about it for now I proceeded with the build by installing the lower rear ventral strakes. Aligned them and let them set. Now will come back to figure out the tail sitch later. More to follow.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

While I ponder in what to do with the tail. I started to work on the sub assemblies, first starting with the center pylon. Which is nicely detailed. And goes together well. The shackles are separate parts but will leave them off after the pylon is painted. Next the under wing pylons. There are 4 of them. We are so used to have them as 1 piece units on most kits, Kitty Hawk has them as separate halves. For a total of 8 pieces. First the outer pylons are assembled aligned and installed. Next the inner pylons are as well. Then finally the overwing rails are next, again they are also in LH/RH half pieces, assembled and installed to the wings. Next up the ordnance. More to follow.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 3 months ago:

It's coming along nicely, Chuck, hope you got my message re the tail.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like you're making progress in spite of all the difficulties Chuck. Keep moving forward Chuck as I'm sure it will turn out fine in the end.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

You are definitely making some great progress buddy. With or without instructions it's turning out very good. Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks George, and yes got the message and appreciate the advise.
    Thanks Tom and Louis for the encouragement. At one time moments like this would lead me to shelve the kit for awhile. But this is a GB and no back up plan though I do have plenty of "Cat" themed kits in the stash to fill in, however I really want to finish this one.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

As the Jaguar performed several attack mission profiles during Desert Storm (Granby), I will configure this for a typical bomb tasking. ALQ-101 Jamming Pod mounted on the port outer pylon, Phimat Chaff dispenser pod under the starboard outer pylon, 2 1000lb bombs on the inner pylons, and a center mounted drop tank. For self defense 2 overwing AIM-9L Sidwinders. Kittyhawk supplies a variety of ordnance well detailed. Though it does not supply an ALQ-101, I will rob one from one of my A-10 kits to use. 1st I will start with the bombs. Nice detail and for a change normal parts to complete both units. These will be painted OD later on in the build. Next up the sidewinders, very petite crisp winglets and single piece missile body makes up the parts for 2 Aim-9's. The instructions call for white, which is true before Desert Storm, but were already in Lt Glossy Grey when the war started. The Phimat Pod is one piece and the ALQ-101 pod is provided from Monogram is in 2 pieces. These will be in Desert Pink. Next up, fix that tail. More to follow.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Your perseverance is paying off well. The ordnance is looking rather well my friend. You will have this one wrapped up soon at this rate.