Challenger I, Mickey Thompson’s Bonneville beauty
August 4, 2015 in Cars & Motorcycles
Every year the F.A.S.T. club in Ocala Florida, an IPMS Chapter for car modelers, has a theme build, and this year it was anything that runs at Bonneville. This is to be my entry. It did not start out to be a two car build, but things ran amuck as they sometimes do, and in the end I found myself with two cars instead of one.
Sometimes my projects can start off badly, and this was the case with the Revell Challenger I kit. There came a point where I decided I couldn’t save it, so I bought another kit and I started over, something I hate to do.
You know when you get a bright idea that you do not completely think through? That is what happened when I thought; I have two kits and it might it be cool to do two versions. One would be closed up and one would feature some clear parts so you could see the details. I really thought this was a great idea at the time.
I was sure I had solved the clear parts problem by going to a commercial vacuum company to pull those parts, but unfortunately that did not work out. I suppose I could have used the smash method, but instead I decided to get that new vacuum machine that recently became available, and this was as good an excuse as any to spend the money.
The new machine was better than the old Mattel but it was still a close fit and required some creative solutions to make it work. I sure used a lot more plastic sheets than I intended, learning to use the new machine by the trial and error method. Nonetheless, I managed to get some usable parts and the project was on track once more.
The second attempt to get the four Pontiac blown engines squeezed into the available space went much better than the first, and once I figured out the exhaust system, the project made good progress. Thank goodness for Google which provided the reference material I badly needed for this build. There sure are a lot of hoses and wiring on this car.
The closed version was right out of the box and went together with the usual issues found in an older kit. This version was painted Nassau Metallic Blue and was completed first. I had decided to leave the detailed version in natural metal finish with some Mike Grant decal rivets for visual interest. I wouldn’t say this was a fun build but it sure was a challenge.
I hope you like it.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge