Why do people fall in love?

Started by david leigh-smith · 73 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Exactly, that’s what I meant to say but didn’t quite have the eloquence. Thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

An observer looks at the model, saying "Crikey, look at all those rivets!" He puts his glasses on for closer inspection, "Dang, they all fell out". 😮

• Profile Photo

Exactly, Peter, exactly.

In the photo below you can see why in some parts they call this chopper the ‘dragonfly’. I say in some parts because in my house it’s called a piece of plastic #+&£. There are no two surfaces on this thing that match together. None.

I need to rename this build, ‘Why do people get Divorced?’ Or, perhaps, ‘Why are Modelers so Grumpy?’

Anyway, despite the cursing it’s still fun, and by the weekend I’ll get some paint on this girl. AND I’m going to bring this home in under 50 posts.

• Profile Photo

Yes it really does look like a dragonfly. With all those riveted segments I would be tempted to painting like a dragonfly, even subtly.

Under 50 posts!? What's up with ya man? It's a b e a u tiful dragonfly. What's with all the negative vibes? You could write heaps about it.

I can see lots of bits laying loose on your bench. Hope 'Keeper' is keeping an eye on things, You know it cannot be blamed if 'keeper' is not in sight. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Your photograph somewhat reflects your chopper malaise! The dishevelled blue-tack stand; the spartan, almost deserted modelling mat; the slightly noisy elements of the photo itself.

She's going to be a swan not a dragonfly!

• Profile Photo

She will rise, like a phoenix from the ashes, like Botticelli's Aphrodite new born on the shore, as Ursula Andress walking from the sea in a white bikini. Wait, I am trying to bring this build home in under 50...

No malaise, Paul, just a little frustration. I'd had to sand so much of the fuselage that when I attached the landing gear the glue ate the remaining plastic and I had to build a jig internally to hold it in place. The rotors were so warped that i had to heat them and put them in a splint, the windows wouldn't fit, the engine air intakes are a) the wrong shape, b) the wrong size. and c) just completely wrong. There is no detail at all, and at one point today I seriously thought of scrapping this build (after I had dropped the canopy and it broke into it's original two halves. Lots of frustration.

But. We learn from adversity. Adventures in creative sanding. How to exercise patience. Problem solving. Building resilience and leaning into problems. An having Keeper look after the small bits (haven't lost a thing since he's been on the team).

So, I AM doing this in 50 posts, I will get some paint on her at the weekend, and she will do to the Ball. Or, at least the Headlines for Paul's Group Build.

@yellow10
    @tecko

• Profile Photo

This afternoon I had some time at the bench. You’ll note I didn’t say “modeling”, just ‘time at the bench’.

The result of time at the bench was a broken oleo on the undercarriage strut of the Dragonfly...

And although I managed to get some primer on the bit...helo, it showed up the weakness across the spine caused by over enthusiastic sanding...

And all of this somehow resulted in an airbrush needle looking like this...a long story involving a needle tube, a wasp, and a swivelling office chair.

However, the oleo was mended (and now I want to do all the struts in this fashion, looks really authentic...in its own way.

Now, new needle chuck ordered, new needle ordered, and a few more lessons learned.

• patience IS a virtue.

• don’t make sudden moves around a wasp.

• if you think you are being slow and careful, slow down and be more careful.

• and I may have accidentally ordered an F-86 and MiG 15. Oops.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

LOL...David @dirtylittlefokker, that last line had me in stitches! You need to be careful with those needles, given your talent for oopsies, it could be costly!

• Profile Photo

If my talent modeling matched my talent for ‘oopsies’ - boy, would I be happy, James.

@jamesb

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David (@dirtylittlefokker)

"– patience IS a virtue.

– don’t make sudden moves around a wasp.

– if you think you are being slow and careful, slow down and be more careful."

Couldn't agree more!
    Sadly I'll never learn all those things in this lifetime (even if Patience was probably the main lesson I came here to learn this time!) ...
    Well, there's plenty of reincarnations to restart the process in the future, so maybe next time... 🙂

Last night I tried to advance a little with my 1931 R-R, but I was watching "Master and Commander" at the same time, which obviously resulted in gluing a couple of transparent pieces a little bit off place, hence the hood wouldn't fit properly... well, an error always has consequences, it's like a cascade...
    I went to bed thinking about how would I try to fix that today, and was imagining some catastrophic scenarios...
    But fortunatelly today I was able to unglue both pieces very easily, and then glue them again at the right location...
    Guess luck is an invisible companion that shows up when we least expect it!... 😉

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

David, that was an unfortunate, or 'what a fortune' oopsy.
    Funny how when we stop working all the oopsies happen.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Reading an article in a recent Aeroplane issue, the model here is in its own way as bad as the original. "Fly in it, I wouldn't walk beneath it!" said one pilot. It flew horridly, was unreliable, and unlamented when it left service.

It's the only helicopter that had to have armor plate installed behind the pilot to protect him when the forward engine would explode.

So now you know, you have an "accurate" model of this contraption. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tom, you hit the exact reason why I wanted to build this - no one else would! I just have a big thing for the underdog.

Don’t think we’ll see another for a while.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Well, something of a breakthrough in the ‘mojo’ department; actually spent some time at the bench. Between grandfatherhood, ‘Brexit’ driving work to breaking point, the joys of Christmas preparation, and settling into a new home, I found time to get back to the joys of plastic.

Painted the rotors, got the camouflage colours mixed and blended the soft edges of the scheme together (needs some finessing when the paint sets properly).

And now it’s friday evening, the Christmas lights are on, the kids are back from school, and I’m a modeller again.

Happy Christmas preparations.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Nice to see David - Season Greetings