1:48 Hasegawa Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 "Kate" from the IJN Hiryu

Started by Bernd Müller · 17 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa 09435, IJN Hirju, Lt Tomonaga, Nakajima B5N2 Type 97
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hello, here comes my entry into the Midway GB.
    Its Hasegawas excellent Kate in 1:48 with decals for the complete airwing of the carrier Hiryu. My choice will be the mount of the wing commander Lt. Jouichi Tomonaga.
    It will be build mostly oob but a helpful PE set and masks from Eduard are on the wish list. That won t be here before mid February so plenty of time for sub assemblies.
    I have made some photos today from the sprues.
    Its a typical Hasegawa kit which means its fantastic, fine and sharp surface details, a very "busy" cockpit incl. a beautiful instrument panel, well made decals...

So much for now
    Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

This looks like a great model for building ! An excellent choice for the Group Build as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your work with this one.

Thanks for joining our group build and welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for the kind words, Louis. This kit is in my stash for years and as i learned about your idea, i thought thats it, the perfect reason to build it.
    More soon !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Great choice, don't see too many Kates built up. Looking forward as you proceed on your project.

• Profile Photo

Bernd,
    I'm glad you decided to join our little group. We are here to have fun and honor the men who participated in the Battle.

I have a few of these 1/48 Hasegawa kits (and one Nichimo in my stash too), and I'm curious to see how it builds. I have yet to build a Kate. There are some very neat markings and paint schemes for them.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks my friend,
    Louis

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Any updates Bernd ?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Kate. Good choice, should be a fun build.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

An EXCELLENCT choice, Bernd! 🙂
    The one I am building is coming along well, with great fit. Cockpit is a BUSY place, and I am in the midst of highlighting. I have much to do, but will post pictures along the way.
    Happy Building!

Freddie from LI

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Thanks for the comments mates !
    After a delay i am underway. Made some assembling last weekend. Wings, flaps, wheels, engine, fuselage parts and parts of the cockpit are together without much problems.
    Also i have made an attempt to minimise the pin markers in the cockpit walls but it will be invisible after the fuselage is closed. Thats also the reason not to use any aftermarket detail sets and a Hasegawa kit don t need much !
    So much for now, on to the pictures just taken in the garden.

• Profile Photo

...made also some dry fit tests last evening, very good, only the flaps needs care, not depicted here.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Looking good, Bernd. I'm just about to start my Airfix Kate.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for watching, Rick. I am looking forward to yours, its an interesting kit which is floating on my "want" list most probably as the early B5N1 version.
    Your Wildcat and the Devastator are looking really nice.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

You guys are really tempting me to dig out a Kate from my stash... They are a very good looking plane. The fit on most Hasegawa stuff is really nice too.

But I really need to finish what I have started first...

Bernd, in 1/48 scale, Hasegawa makes an early B5N-1 which is shown as having a natural metal finish with red trim on the box top. It's a really sharp looking plane in those colors. I'm not sure if they have one offered in 1/72 scale.

Your build is coming along very well. Thanks for posting these updates.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for commenting Louis. Its really Hasegawa quality and its in my opinion still state of the art. The Kate was indeed a good looking, elegant aircraft. After the first dry fit tests i was surprised about the huge wings and the long wingspan compared to the relative short fuselage.
    Hasegawa has in 1:72 only the B5N2 as far as i know but Airfix has a new -1 one out. Rick is building the Airfix B5N2 and i am really looking forward to his build.
    More on this here soon !