The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Greg. All is well with the cutting mat, I just haven't finished modifying the desk yet. Ha, leave the overhang like that? Really. Do you think I'm CRAZY?

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Hello all! This is my first time back here for any time longer than a few minutes since Bernie passed. In the meanwhile, I needed to catch up on the last 4 pages before winding up here.

Louis, when we talked yesterday, you mentioned the decals and now that I see them, I'm really happy for You & David finding them. Jeep shall live on - with his good friend "Wild Bill!"

David, you said: "‘lurking’ around here is often better than actually building models anyway!" It certainly is in my case! I'm still stalled except for my forays into my Fruil Model tracks for my KassPass Crusader Mk III. You have a set, right David? You really must WANT to do them. When complete, they act just like the real deal but BOY, ARE THEY TEDIOUS ! And my 67 year-old eyes and ESPECIALLY my finger dexterity (or lack thereof) sure ain't what they used to was! One hint for all who plan to use Fruil; I used the burnishing fluid before I began assembly. I feel that was a MUCH better way of doing it than waiting and doing it in whole or sections. PLUS, you use much less fluid, which ain't the cheapest stuff and seems to be kind of hard to find, as well - at least for me. I tried to find out what burnishing fluid was but was unsuccessful. Finally, I found one bottle and grabbed it. I also was surprised that it isn't reusable. I left mine in to soak about 4 hours. They started turning colors nearly instantly, though.

As for the Tiger, WoW! It's really coming along beautifully!. As for any critique, I'll say this: Wonderful! I like your ground cover very much. I can't speak for Tunisian sand, but I have some experience with the ground in Iraq, Kuwait, & Saudi Arabia. It is NOT very sandy. It had lots of rocks from pea gravel size to the size of your fist or larger. And yes, there WAS some sand in the mix. Your dio has what looks like real sand intermixed with small rocks. That seems about perfect to my recollection. If it were really sand like what I've seen in photos from parts of the Sahara, it would have to be more like fine powder to be in scale. You nailed it, mate! (For my money, anywho!)

YMMV (your mileage, etc.) 😉

• Profile Photo

Jeff, I am really pleased we'll get to see Louis make this Pony. It's one of those great accidents that leads to a completely unexpected destination. In this case a brilliant story that will be a great testimony to man and beast. Bring it on, Lou.

Yes, I do have a set of Fruils, cost me more than the tank kit they'll go on, but worth all $10 (just in case the wife has a peek at the blog).

Thanks for the observations on the sand. This afternoon I bedded in the hut, scratch built a ladder, and I've planned some modeling over the weekend (it's a holiday weekend here in Blighty) so I've high hopes for finishing. Oh, and a little 'reveal' with the camel.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker: "Do you think I’m CRAZY?" - ohhh...you really opened yourself up with that one! I just have to say I love your kind of crazy. After all, a WIP thread stretching to 20 pages, and the model still isn't done? And why do we keep coming back to read and post? Hanging around Aristotle makes us all feel better some how...

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Greg. I think.

We all feel better being around each other, brother.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Aristotle indeed! Yes - I always feel better after a good session here with all y'all crazies, like David, Louis, David T. Greg, Michel, ... and others. 20 pages and counting! Crazy is as crazy does. Beyond that I won't point any fingers because, as many of you know, when you point at someone (or thing) there are fingers pointing back at you! My 4th grade teacher would be proud ...

Yes, David, I got my Fruils for $10 also. (Now BOTH wives will be happy. Or at least amenable.) I told this to Louis on the phone, but if I may digress a bit, I just got one of the Rye Field Panther kits just like Rob's with the full interior and clear turret and hull tops. I may have bitten off more than I can chew! I have, as you may know, the Rye Field 1991 Desert Storm Special M1A1 HA as well as the more complete M1A1/M1A2 kit. That one has over 1500 parts with a big portion of those being track pieces. The real M1A1 track for the later versions we used have a total of 11 pieces for one "track block" section. The kit has 7 pieces per "track block" section. I hate putting them together almost as much as I hated putting REAL track together! But they ARE a bit lighter to handle, Gottsei Dank! They're even more "fiddly" than the Fruil tracks! The thing is, when I saw the complete interior on the M1A1 kit, I wasn't bothered too much because I KNOW the parts in an M1 series tank. This Panther, on the other hand, is new to me. Louis says he has one of the Rye Field Tigers. I have forgotten, David - who made your Tiger I? In any case, the Panther is pretty daunting and I'm following Rob and HIS build closely!

Well, it's time go elsewhere, so I shall say "Sianara" for now. Keep on tankin'!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Yep, this thread is no doubt the catharsis for the masses. It puts the "social" in "social media modeling." Funny thing, for all I've learned--about my friends as much as modeling--I'm no closer to wanting to build a Panzer as ever I was before.

Maybe that's because I simply cannot measure up to the angst of this crew. Yow.

• Profile Photo

Hey, I have pizza, beer, Kentucky whiskey (if that's where your tastes are), a huge soft sofa, and 'PBS Dogfights' on the big screen. How I wish you guys could just drop over...

• Profile Photo

Ah, but though I lived in Kentucky for years (for a while I drove by the Jim Beam distillery every week as I traveled to Bardstown (home of Maker's Mark) to date a girl that didn't work out, I just don't partake. I'm down with the pizza, though. And the sofa. And the dogfights show. And figuring out how to write anti-Nazi graffiti in Arabic!

• Profile Photo

Jeff, thanks for the tutorial on the Abrams track assembly (both real and scale) - I have such respect for you veterans who have served us over the years. Wish I could tell you guys how much your service is appreciated.

• Profile Photo

David, your place on the sofa is booked, as is the tea (earl grey, hot?). In spirit you are right here and I appreciate the company!

• Profile Photo

David, you are correct. You just need the right crew. Really looking forward to joining in on your ambulance build. I have a feeling that will be special.

• Profile Photo

Earl grey, hot, with a touch of half & half and sugar. (They call it a "London Fog" over here if you add a touch of vanilla, and I have to tell you I am not the least opposed.) How did you know, hermano? We are surely brothers from another mother!

I am making headway on the Ambulance, and will post shortly (trying to get a decent stopping point to have something to show). I appreciate the support!

• Profile Photo

David, just get the thread started and we'll all help with the rest.

• Profile Photo

OK, I have a bee in my bonnet that must be released. It has to do with your first post, David, and it has bugged me for 2 months and 3 weeks, or 299 posts, whichever measure you choose. It's the Saul/Paul name change issue, and call me neurotic for being a New Testament scholar, but here goes:

"Paul" is not the conversion name of Saul. Saul was also Paul, all along. Like many other Jews in the ancient Greco-Roman milieu, he went by two names according to the context. This is evident from other parts of the New Testament as well, such as Levi going by Matthew, or Thomas adopting that nickname rather than his given name of Judas (a fact which few know), or the other Judas going by Thaddeus. Saul/Paul was truly multicultural and multilingual, a Pharisee and student of Gamaliel (who himself was a student of the famous Hillel), and identifies as a Benjamite and so would proudly bear the name Saul. Yet he was also born a Roman citizen and was raised in Tarsus, one of the great university cities of the ancient world (the other top two being Athens and Alexandria), and was fluent in Greek and probably spoke at least some Latin; so he also went by Paul.

The operative passage is not Acts 9, which details his conversion. He is steadfastly called Saul during that episode and years thereafter; in fact, a modest estimate of the Acts timeline doesn't have him called "Paul" in the narrative until more than a decade after his conversion. (Paul did not pen and sign his first letter as "Paul" until AD 49 at the very earliest.) No, the indicator is found in Acts 13, as follows...

He was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence, who summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. 8 But Elymas the magician (for that is the meaning of his name) opposed them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. 9 But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him 10 and said, “You son of the devil, etc."

The problem is in the English rendering according to tradition. Typically, we would read verse 9 as, "But Saul, who is also called Paul...", meaning, we take "Saul" as the contrastive antecedent to "Paul," indicating the change--one name over against the other, so to speak. Yet the real antecedent is not the apostle's other name, but the name of his hearer--the Roman proconsul, Sergius Paulus. (In the Greek text this is obvious, since both are Paulus.) So the proper reading would be, "But Saul, who was also called Paul..."--meaning, just like his hearer, Saul also went by the name Paul.

From this point on, the apostle is no longer identified by the name Saul (except when quoting events of that previous time--such as the encounter on the road to Damascus). He is henceforth Paul, with no other commentary by the writer of Acts. It seems pretty clear that since the shift in names does not happen in Acts 9 (events that unfolded around AD 37), but rather in Acts 13 (events that took place around AD 48), that the point of the change (if such it can be called) is not Saul/Paul's conversion, but rather his ongoing effort to convert others. By insisting that he be called Paul in the Greco-Roman world, he is, to quote him elsewhere, "becoming all things to all men"--he is identifying with his audience. Luke, the author of Acts, is falling into this strategy. The name Paul is not a "conversion" name, but a name to bring about conversion.

Alright. Bee out of bonnet. And that makes 300!