1/72 HobbyBoss MiG-3

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 31 · 9 years ago · 1/72, HobbyBoss, MiG
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Dmitry, keep up the great work!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Some updates: primed, riveted and now is ready for paint works.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Your MiG-3 will ba a stunner, like your cracking Hurricane.The applied rivets bring lots of "live" on the surface.

• Profile Photo

As usual I've started painting form the bottom surfaces. This light blue color is a mix of Light Sea Blue and Grey Blue Vallejo paints.

Decals and painting schemes provided by manufacturer for this kit is wrong. Green scheme of Pokryskin's aircraft didn't match the kit version - his plane didn't have radio. The second one didn't have black outlines on the red stars and arrows. Also font face and position are wrong for the lettering. So I've found the winter scheme I want and will try to represent this state of winter camo - winter-spring 1942, somewhere near Moscow.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Well done researching the specific aircraft and its colours/markings. The winter schemes look best when the original camo bleeds through the whitewash.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Enloying your build Dimitry, especially since I build only 1/72 and enjoy doing a bit of detailing, especially in the cockpit area. I'm not quite to your caliber but you are providing some great inspiration!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for you comments, guys! Now I'm stuck with winter camo/painting. I've done several tests with a chipping solution from MIG, and with enamel + enamel thinner but still I can't find the right way to make it look good. Will make some other tests before actually painting MiG. Some test shots and a photo of the actual aircraft (found it today).

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years ago:

Slowly this build continues. I've applied upper green color, as a base for white. Next I'll apply decals and then move to the winter white color. After testing some techniques I'll try to get result with Humbrol enamel. Test results are not perfect, but I hope it should looks better on the model.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years ago:

Looking good Dmitry. I look forward to the weathering/winter finish.

• Profile Photo

So, the winter white is done. It's not a final look - I will add gray filter and washes of course, but the painting is done. Two layers of the Humbrol enamel, chipped by brush and thinner. Decals were applied before painting and protected with masks.

• Profile Photo

Wow! Thats looking great Dmitry. I like the white washed paint, it looks really convincing.

• Profile Photo

Some updates. Decals, filter, washes and satin varnish applied. Now it's a time for the final weathering and assembly.

• Profile Photo

Looking good, can't wait to see it finished. Nice work Dmitry.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years ago:

Dmitry! That's some beautiful work! I really haven't taken to the Hobby Boss kits even though my kids have built a few of them! I might have to rethink 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Magnus! In this scale there is no alternatives to HB's MiG-3 kit.

So, it's done - pigments and satin varnish applied. Final WIP pics.

Final photos - http://imodeler.com/2015/05/mig-3-in-winter-colours/