AMK Mig-31

Started by Johannes Gerl · 50 · 7 years ago · 1/48, AMK, Mig-31
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Let's get AMK's hot 1/48 Mig-31 started.

• Profile Photo

A first walk around promises a joyful time building this kit. The arrangement of the parts in the box gives you the feeling that you have done the right thing buying it. Moulding quality looks good though there is some flash here and there. Especially the huge lower fuselage and the slide moulded front fuselage parts are truly impressive.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Nice! This kit is definitely one I want to build at some point. I'm a big fan of the Cold War interceptors. Looking forward to following this one.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Richard. I feel even more attracted by the Mig-25, but postponed her for a while to finally get my fingers on the AMK-kit.
    On with the build ...

The instructions start with the engine intakes and wheel wells that are designed as one assembly unit per side. The insides of the intake halves have to be painted before assembling but due to external glue flaps, the paint job is not at risk when they go together. The instructions talk about "silver" for the entire assembly, the reference however indicates a pale, slightly silverish grey. The nice yellow primer bleeding through could not be missed here either.
    The part break down and fit of this entire section of the kit is remarkably good and with the help of clamps and rubber bands some drops of extra thin cement will do the job to join it all together nicely. The corrugated surfaces are captured well, most of the bigger tubes and wires are moulded.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Nice start Halvar, looks like not a bad kit.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 7 months ago:

I prefer the Mig 31 mate, it's the bigger, uglier version of the 25!
    The moulding of the plastic looks superb mind. Especially on the wheel wells.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Simon.
    Lucky you, Richard. The AMK kit of the 31 seems to be really nice, the Kitty Hawk of the 25 is said to be quite a pain. I got both on my list, so we will see.

On with the build ...
    The engines are extensively detailed and though they will disappear in the fuselage entirely, I felt some obligation to give them an appropriate painting. The halves fited okay, but the seam line could not be left without filling. I used styrene dissolved in Extra Thin Cement for this, as capillary effect nicely fills all gaps. The painting was done with different Alclad tones.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Off to a very nice start! Not familiar with AMK, but the moldings look nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Greg. Also for the comfort for the Mig-21 project. ☺️

Now on with the build:
    The lower fuselage part shows impressive ridges caused by the mould division, mainly around the intakes. They need to be removed to make the air duct assembly fit nicely. Considering that the entire lower fuselage half is a single, very complex part, one can accept this without criticism.

I really like the way all lines up once the intakes and engines are assembled.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 6 months ago:

The installation of the wheel wells in the lower fuselage shell showed a wide gap towards the sidewall in horizontal direction. I was not ready to accept this and forced a gap free fit of the parts by preliminarily fixing them with a drop of cyano and then applying a fair amount of Tamiya's two component glue to ensure a sustainable connection.
    That of course ended up with an according horizontal gap between side wall and wing root.

Also, to my disappointment, in AMK's kit the height of the fuselage sidewall is not sufficient to close up to the wing root leaving another gab, now vertical, of at least a Millimeter.

Adding a shim of plastic card to the wings solved all major gap issues.
    Finally, some filler did the job to join together both parts in a reasonable way.

I'm not quite sure whether these mishaps are due to building mistakes of mine or just due to design issues of the kit. In any case, there are a number of build reports in the web that have issues at this spot.

That solved, the fuselage halves and wing roots went together very well. Using super thin cement it's important to make sure that rubber bands don't fit closely to the plastic. To avoid that capillary effect will ruin the surface, I used cloth pegs as a spacer.

PS: the size of this aircraft is huge. Compared with the 31, the Mig-21 on my workbench looks like a toy.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

After Martin has fixed the issue with replies to groups (many thanks for this!) here comes a quick sign of life to see whether all systems are back to normal.

The intakes are offered as a multi part assembly with impressing surface textures and a high level of detail, especially inside. Well engineered reference surfaces help to align the parts in the intended way. There's one join at the inner side wall that requires some filling and sanding, but that's no big deal as long as you don't forget to do so before you install the intakes to the airframe.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Well Halvar, Martin has fixed it mate.
    All looking good from here.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good, Halvar. I used your idea of dissolving plastic in Tamiya cement. Haven't used it yet, but looks like it'll work well. I'm looking at opening up a couple of panels on mine in order to see some of the engine detail. Looking forward to watching your progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George.
    Opening some panels is a very good idea.

Let's get on with the build and I let the pictures tell the story this time. The fit of this kit is kind of good. There's nothing you can really complain about, but if you're spoiled by Tamiya's recent releases like I am, you clearly feel room for improvements. Some parts have to be forced in position, most joins will require filling. Mr. Surfacer 500 was used throughout the airframe for this. Different amounts of thinner were added to adjust the required viscosity to the given situation.
    The only real issue: the ultimate lower right panel of the fuselage lacks 1-2 Millimeters to close up to the nozzle. It has been filled with a piece of plastic card and carefully sanded and test fitted, see pictures 12-15.

All in all this is fun to build. If you're ready to accept some extra work for bringing it all together, you'll have a great time seeing this extraordinary aircraft growing.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I think that a kit that is not shake and bake gives more fun, if you can call it fun when building it.
    She is looking great Halvar and big too by the look of one of the pics.