AMK Mig-31

Started by Johannes Gerl · 50 · 7 years ago · 1/48, AMK, Mig-31
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 7 months ago:

There's some wisdom in what you say, Simon.

Let's get on with it.
    I generally much like the products of HGW. Their seat belts are superb and their decals that they call water transfer decals to me are the coolest thing in modelling since years. I'll report about that later in this blog.
    Unfortunately HGW take vinyl for their paint masks and that's nothing but unsuited material, for it starts to shrink the moment it leaves the punching machine. Two out of three products made of it end up in the customer's waste bin, according to personal studies.
    Why I bought them? I thought that HGW had a solution for shrinking vinyl just as they had one for silvering decals.

I ended up in backing up the HGW masks with eduard's familiar kabuki product.
    It comes broken down in one mask for every corner of the window. You have to be patient to align them without offsets but that's okay, for it ensures a good fit in the corners. Hopefully.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 7 months ago:

For really fine, complicated masking, I use Bare metal foil. It conforms to every little detail and makes trimming very easy. You just have to make sure that you use a fresh and very sharp scalpel blade to do the trimming. The only draw back is that will leave a film if left on the model for weeks (as often happens). I use a cotton swab (button) with a tiny bit of WD-40 to quickly wipe of the film. People will say that WD-40 is bad for the plastic, but I've never had a problem. Personally, I find vinyl and most other kinds of masks to be a total waste of time and money.

• Profile Photo

Hey George. I heard about this method and it actually attracts me. However, I'm scared about the blade leaving scratches on the plastic. Has that never happened to you?

• Profile Photo

Hey Halvar, I've never had a problem with scratches. You need a really steady hand and a very light touch, but it's no different than using masking tape.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George.

That means you're covering the glass of the canopy with a piece of foil bigger than actually required. Then you cut away the parts covering the frame with a fresh blade but softly enough to not let the blade scratch the plastic and, as I assume, with the frame as a bit of a guidance for the blade. I imagine that you don't cut right through the foil but rather scribe it to make it pull off at the right position?

Is that it? If yes, I'll give it a try with the additional closed canopy part of the MIG.

• Profile Photo

That's it! You may have to cut all the way through the foil, but if you are right the fram, you won't see any scratches or marks.

• Profile Photo

You need to be careful removing the foil from the canopy after painting. I use a toothpick with a flattened end to scoop the foil away.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Many thanks again, George. I'm looking forward to trying this and I'll let you know how it went.

The cockpit of the kit shows AMK's huge skills in moulding. Unfortunately they have forgotten to offer any solution for the instruments. Just nothing, not even a decal.

I went for the eduard printed photo etch set. I actually don't like this approach as it forces you to follow eduard's idea of a Russian cockpit blue-green which is not the same as mine. Starting to remove the moulded cockpit details in order to create a flat surface to glue the photo etch sheets on, I just found it too sad to destroy all that excellent craftsmanship of AMK's mould makers. I finally went for a hybrid of eduard instrument panels and hand painted and moulded switch boards.
    Some wash will follow to take the factory state from the cockpit but I'm waiting till the canopy is added to be able to create a uniform look.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

There is a rather big amount of photographic material of the Mig-31 on the web and though I spent some time over it, the aircraft's actual tone of grey has not become entirely clear to me. Mr. Paint's colour suggestion named Traffic Grey is certainly a good match for some reference material, but other pictures show more bluish tones. I have personally never seen a Mig-31 in realty, so I eventually selected the over all look of the photos I liked most.

The concept goes like this:

• bring on a base coat of Traffic Grey panel by panel with the air brush set to a small spray cone resulting in some slight unevenness.
    • post shade the panel lines with a Traffic Grey darkened by some drops of Basalt Grey.
    • a filter of highly thinned Traffic Grey with some drops of Kobalt Blue blends it all together.
    • panel centres are lightened again with the original tone, specific panels more than others.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Very cool painting technique Halvar! So far I've just been pre shading, painting, then post shading, but I really like the way you have painted each individual panel first and blended it all in. I might have to have a go at this.

One problem I'm finding when painting aircraft is that my desired colour always seems to be altered and darkened when applying gloss coats of varnish. I always try to paint lighter to compensate for this but the end result is never quite what I had originally envisaged. What brand of gloss do you use and do you have to compensate for this as well?

Fantastic work so far by the way, I can't wait to see the finished model.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Richard. Much appreciated.

I know the problem of varnish coats darkening the original painting. In fact, I'm looking for a way to deal with this since quite a while, but my endeavor has not yet brought me to where I want to be. Here's what I can tell:

• My favorite gloss and semi gloss varnishes are Gunze Mr. Paint (note: this is their lacquer product line). They give a rugged surface and are resilient against white spirit based washes and other chemicals such as decal solutions. I use the gloss varnish as a base for decals and semi-gloss as a base for weathering. I tried their flat product too, but I do advise against using it as it eats up much of the color effects and gives a dull, totally uniform appearance. I reported about this in the article about my recent Corsair: http://imodeler.com/2016/04/tamiya-f4u-1-corsair-132/
    • I used Gunze's acrylic Flat Clear as a final coat in most of my recent projects. I believe it can help you solving the problem of darkening as it compensates for the effect caused by intermediate gloss coats. The price you pay: it leaves the surface completely flat, no trace of a shine left. But at least the colors remain vivid.
    • George reports about a new approach he took with his Su-33. Please see our conversation in the comment area of his article: http://imodeler.com/2016/09/148-kinetic-su-33/
      I used MRP paints for the Mig too, and I got the same impression: the surface they create looks ready for decaling without additional gloss coat. However, I'm intending to do some extensive oil weathering at the Mig and therefore I opted for the usual gloss coat with Gunze Lacquer this time.
    • Friends told me about Alclad's Matte Kote recently. I think I might give it a try as a final coat for the Mig project.
  • Profile Photo

Painting of the airframe details.
    Nothing really spectacular here to report except the magnificent opacity of MRP paints.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Looking really amazing, Halvar. I am also a convert to MRP paints. Unfortunately, most dealers here in the U.S. have them on backorder. I'm building a pretty boring Academy F-4J and would like to use MRPs on it, but I can't get the light gull gray I need.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Wanted to say that you are correct about Eduard's idea of Russian cockpit green. You would think that with all the technology at their disposal that they would do a better job at matching colors. This is true for most of their cockpit colors. None are any where near being close.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I might have a look at trying that brand of gloss, see if it makes a difference. I've been using Vallejo varnishes so far.
    I'm finding also that the Tamiya flat acrylics are very rough to the touch. I gave my last build a very light rubbing with micro mesh before applying the gloss, and that seemed to help smooth things over a bit first.
    Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated!