Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Peter, I’m with you about the Gremlins. Close relation to the Carpet Monster. That said, when it comes to modeling I think there is some kind of anti-plastic/PE vortex, a rip in the very fabric of the space/time continuum that manifests only through the energy caused by intense concentration, focus, and passion for a project. Argh, and the terrible thing about forgetting stuff is that the chance of it disappearing is directly proportional to...to...

• Profile Photo

Peter, also reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, “one Piece at a Time”. Somewhere, someone or something has a hell of a kit...

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 8 months ago:

That sounds so much like Doctor Emmitt Brown.
    It's a case of 'believing it before seeing it'. If part of you don't believe it's there (doubt), there's a good chance you won't see it, even if it's right in front of your nose. A twist of mind over matter, or is it. All is subjective _ right within the gremlins domain.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Spend my time playing catch up these days! Great to have you back, even if appearing fit only for the knacker's yard! Take it slowly David, at least that's what I tell my U16 soccer team that when they damage themselves! You always need more r'n'r time than you think!

Count your blessings: bench space looks great; 109 looking v.cool; prop blur shaping up nicely; sons v.helpful; wife in good spirits (usually the case with spousal injury); recovery time from bumps and bruises probably best spent in isolation wing with coffee machine and minimal standing up and sitting down - let alone doing anything remotely useful other than sitting at a bench...

Get well soon!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

David, good to see ya, miss ya, glad that your getting settled. Your shop looks great and now you can get back in the saddle again. Your story on the missing Franz, reminds me of the last move to this house I am currently in, to this day, it will be 5 years now this month, I still have not been able to find my 48th scale Japanese Flight deck display, A complete USMC LAV that I was working not only the partially completed model but the darn box is missing. A full size USC Football Helmet, not a replica the real authentic helmet signed by Pete Carroll , Reggie Bush and Charles White. I remember the helmet I brought it with me in the car, not with the stuff packed in the truck. Yet I have not found it . Just plum misplaced it I hope.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@tecko - I’m reminded of that great line in ‘The Usual Suspects’ spoken by Keyser Soze, “the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist”. Our whole reality is subjective; it’s what keeps me in a job.

• Profile Photo

@yellow10

Paul, I couldn’t agree more about taking it easy. That said, the ‘universal constant’ is dead set against my default mindset. The more I try to relax the more stuff just ‘happens’. I Just got an inspirational personal email from an iModeler friend having a tough time and the core message was to keep learning even from the tough stuff. And as you say, count the blessings.

On a smaller ‘scale’ there have been times I’ve felt like giving this hobby up. Comparing what I can do to some of the offerings on this site it can get a bit demoralising if you can’t keep focused on the learning aspect. And the fun. And the companionship.

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker, Just focus on having fun with your innate spontaneous creativity (INS), and the rest (learning and companioship) will follow. If you focus on learning and companionship, you are not having fun with your INS, and will end up being demoralised. IMHO.

Funny you mentioning the devil. Just came from a lengthy discussion about 'what is evil'.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker, Don't walk away from the hobby, the challenge, the immense satisfaction achieved after completion. Find your kryptonite and stay away from it.

One of my best and fondest Professors in school gave out an assignment that was designed to defeat, a sort of Kobayashi Maru. In the end, we all failed. But the lesson was taught...Learn what you can do and what you cannot. Do what you can do. If all else fails, if you cannot baffle them with brilliance, then baffle them with Bull S**t.

Works for me! 😉

• Profile Photo

You see, this is just one reason why I love this community. That someone can reference the Kobayashi Maru manoeuvre without having to explain it. Live long - and prosper, James.

• Profile Photo

So this is what I’ve done with the PropBlur.

I’ve tried to give the impression of movement with subtle stripes of horizontal passes with the airbrush in various shades of grey and black. Trying essentially to make something that’s there ‘not’ be there. Bit like with the wife, sometimes.

Oh, and I found Herr Stigler - he is inside that canopy, I promise. This photo is quite nice as it is the closest correlation to what it looks like in real life - an attempt to ‘blur’ something that is solid.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Simply Awesome! I may have to try some of those prop blur thing-a-mo-bobs. In my best East Texas accent...Quite a Smashing job you've done there David, Jolly Good.

• Profile Photo

That looks really COOL, especially when the darker brackground blurs the fine lines.
    Because of my big hands often getting in the way of things, I would have put the prop on last.

• Profile Photo

It’s not fixed on, Peter - just couldn’t resist sticking it on to see how it looked. Should be on to the Fortress by the weekend.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, James - one of the best Texan quotes I heard was “there’s only two states in the USA; Texas and TAfT - This Ain’t F#####G Texas”. Ain’t ever heard no Texan say “Jolly good” though.

Thanks for the support, friend.