Great Wall, 1:48 Scale TBD-1, ”Devastator”

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 10 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 8 years ago:

I had started this kit some time back, but had relegated it to the "Shelf" when other projects took on more appeal. I guess it's one of those things that happens, when one has multiple kits on the bench. I call those kits, "Half Built".

I use the term, "Half Built" to refer to a kit that is started. It does not necessarily mean that the kit is half way towards being completed. Anyhow, I am resolving to clear that shelf of all "Half Built" models, BEFORE I start another new project...and there are a few in the way...

I first need to finish this kit, of which I will be posting pictures shortly. There is a Trumpeter SM-79, a Hasegawa Ki-100 'Tony', a Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop. Then there's the Airfix Hurricane Mk.I and the Nichimo Ki.45, which are actually pretty close. and a Hasegawa 1:32 "Hellcat", and a 1:35 Tamiya M-3, "Stuart". There's also a Hasegawa 1:48 Ju-87 and a Monogram 1:48 B-17G...

I'll be busy, I can tell you that!

Here are a few pictures of the interior so far. Lots more to do, but it'll give you an idea of what this kit is. So far, the fit is fantastic, and the detail is excellent. The only issue with it, is the price of the kit, which last I saw, was closing in on $80. Ouch.

Anyway, I wave a lot of weathering to do on the "Hurricane" and the "Nick", and that'll clear away two. I'll post pictures of the rest in a "Rouge's Gallery" a little bit later.

Thanks again for looking

Freddie from LI

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Vincent Perry said 8 years ago:

Looking nice following

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 9 months ago:

Here's an update the this TBD build. She's beginning to look like a Devastator!

I am getting her close to paint, and I just need to clear up a few seam issues, (Very minor) and she'll be good to go. The markings I've chosen, are those of a TBD assigned to VT-8, off of USS Hornet, and flown by Ens. William R Evans. Aircraft was coded T-3.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew White said 7 years, 9 months ago:

That's coming along nice, great job on the interior.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 9 months ago:

I fully agree with Andrew's assessment...I'll be watching for it.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

It's been awhile since I last posted in here, so here are some updated pictures and more thoughts on this kit.

First, it is NOT as nice a bui;ld as I had previously thought. It looks great, detail is very nice inside and out. What I am running into, is a major problem with getting the canopy on. It does not fit, when posed open. Parts are too thick, and do NOT stack inside each other. It is a real shame, if I have to hide all the cockpit detail under a closed canopy. Therefore I am determined to pose it open. This will involve sanding down the bottoms of canopy sections to make them shorter, so they WILL stack...UGH!

Another issue, the bomb bay doors don't meet in the middle, and you will need to add about 10 mm plastic strip to fully close them as well. I am guessing this kit was designed to be displayed with every orifice opened up to show off...yet they screwed the pooch badley with the cockpit, where 90% of the detail is! Ugh again!

The decals are so-so, not terrible, but nothing to great either. The canopy masks belong in the trash. They don't stick well, and they don't fit any better. Use Eduard if you take on this project.

Overall, it's become a challenge to complete this baby, but it does look terrific, and I will win through in the end. Will I build another one? Maybe. Knowing what I know now, maybe.

I am working to get this kit done, for the Battle of Midway Group Build, over in "Groups", which BTW, you all should check out, because there are some really excellent models being put together by our fellow imodelers

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

All troubles aside Freddie, your TBD is shaping up very nicely. It looks really great ! Thanks for posting the progress on the Midway Group Build section.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 1 month ago:

It's been a PIA in the later stages. I read Tom Cleaver's review of the kit on Modeling Madness, and I would strongly suggest anyone about to start building this kit, read it as well. He hit all the trouble spots dead on, and I am currently awaiting the Squadron Vac Canopy before I proceed. After that, it should go well. I'll focus on the F4F, and the B5N while I wait.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Muckley said 7 years ago:

I am building this kit as well, but have not gotten as far as painting or adding the canopy. It's a shame to hear, because it's been a really nice build so far. Oh well, at least I know where to look for trouble, and I guess I'll have to order the Eduard masks, there's a lot of canopy of this beast!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Looks great! Really love how the engine came out.