Revell 1/139th scale JSTAR conversion

Started by Lee Fogel · 8 · 6 years ago · E-8, JSTAR, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Been fiddling with this one for a few months now. Long story short I bought it as a bagged kit for a buck sans the large spinning radar dome and decals. As I started to build it I realized that it was also missing the engines and engine pylons. I thought I might be able to track down some Minicraft parts from their series of 707/VC-137/E-3/E-8 kits to complete it. I got the engine sprues from a nice fella on ARC and another gent sent me his leftover parts and decals from the Minicraft E-8 JSTAR kit. It's not 100% accurate (as was pointed out to me) but still, it's been a fun build. And I have saved one kit from certain doom via the trash can. I'm close to painting now as I need to add a few small antennas and check a few seams. It's for me, not a contest so go easy LOL!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I think you've done very well, Lee.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Nice conversion,Looks great! Awhile back I converted Revells AWAC boxing into a Boeing 720.

• Profile Photo

Thank you both! Robert, how much work was involved with your conversion?

• Profile Photo

Not much at all, basically just leaving off the AWAC radome and adding Pan am decals, according to some reviews of this boxing that's it closely matches. here's one photo.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks fabulous, Robert! Who offered the decals? I still have a sealed E-3 that I will build OOB. I built this kit as a kit in the early 1980s and really loved it.

Thanks again for the encouragement and for sharing your work.

• Profile Photo

I think the decals were from an old ATP sheet.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 6 months ago:

ATP did some nifty (and very obscure) liveries that's for sure. Your Boeing 720 really does look terrific.

I've done a bit more sanding and prep work to the JSTAR. Hoping to get paint on it this weekend.