Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr-1 Triplane as flown by Werner Voss

Started by Louis Gardner · 65 · 6 years ago · 1/28, Dr1, Fokker, Revell, Triplane, Voss
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 7 months ago:

As I mentioned in my last response, we were affected by Hurricane "Irma". In fact we just recently had our electrical power restored. We suffered a little property damage, but nothing severe...

The main thing is that all of my family and friends have made it through this event without any injuries, or worse yet any deaths.

Thank God. It's amazing how we take things for granted until they are no longer here.
    I guess it's human nature. Bottom line is I am very fortunate that life is starting to go back to "normal" again if there actually is such a thing... We have our electrical power, phone and internet services back up now. The yard and house have been pretty much cleaned up now. Garbage pick up has resumed. I am very grateful to the workers who have responded to our crisis, and have helped bring these everyday things back to us.
    But there are now some huge debris piles of downed trees throughout our neighborhood. Some places don't even look the same ... It will take some time but it will get done.

• Profile Photo

Finally I was able to get my modelling fix... I was going through withdrawals.

Tonight I completed the stabilizer and elevator assembly, applied some filler and sprayed some paint. I feel much better now...

Here's the elevator and stabilizers after I cut them apart, and added some very thin plastic strips hat measured .020 X .010

Then I started lightly sanding these plastic strips, until they just barely showed up.

The trick here is to get the strips to resemble pinking tape once painted.
    This picture below shows the stabilizer as it is being sanded. the light hits the high spots and the ones ready for paint almost blend in.

Now this side is ready for paint...

Then I measured and drilled out the holes for the elevator control cables to pass through.
    This picture shows the assembly just prior to painting...

Here's the end result. The light hits the thin plastic strips and it looks pretty decent.

This picture is a good example of how the strips turned out: Nice and subdued.

Since I'm now on a time constraint, I didn't think I would have enough time to properly lace the underside of the fuselage. So I went ahead and sprayed it too since I was spraying light blue.

I left the seam visible, since I may end up eventually going back and adding the lacing along the seam. Here's the underside of the fuselage and how it looks now:

Finally I added some Tamiya white putty to the cowling, to cover a small gap along the plastic car stock that I added.

Calling it a night... It's great to be back !
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Exellent work Louis, both plane and car!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Louis glad to hear you and yours came thru okay. Your Dr-1 is really turning into something special.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Louis, I'm sorry I have only just caught up with your latest project - great work!
    Hopefully these will provide a little inspiration!
    These are from my trip to NZ earlier this year - I don't think they had the Werner Voss machine !

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michel ! Prior to the hurricane hitting us, I stayed pretty busy in the shop during the day working on replacing the sheet metal on my Challenger. Here's how it looks right now. I have permanently spot welded in all of the internal body panels. The outside "skins" go on next. Hopefully in a few days I can get back to work on the car too...

Thanks for the compliments Rick, and I'm glad to hear from you. Your F4F Wildcat turned out fantastic !

Yes we pulled through the hurricane OK. Only lost most of the car port on my work shop out back and some roofing shingle tabs on our home. Other than a lot of clean up and yard debris removal we did OK. Many people did much worse. I consider us to be fortunate. Now I'm keeping a close eye on the others that have started brewing up out there in the Atlantic.

David those are some fantastic Dr-1 pics ! I recognize Lothar and Manfred Von Richtofen's planes. Is the other one painted as Ltn. Richard Wenzl's plane ? It has the wing stripes on it like Udet's plane had, but I don't see the name "LO" on the side. Thanks for sharing these. I saw a replica that Kermit Weeks has in his "Fantasy of Flight" museum. Yes I'm a Tri-plane junkie...

The streaky Fokker Green finish is going to be interesting to replicate.

• Profile Photo

Here's today's progress. I didn't get as much completed on it as I was hoping for... But progress is progress. I'll take it.

I masked off the areas where the cross emblems will go. I decided to spray these areas white, rather than rely on just the decal for coverage. I will probably cut the crosses out of the decal sheet now.

Here's the fuselage ready for paint.

followed by the wings and rudder:

after painting:

and with the masking removed...

calling it a day...

• Profile Photo

Gets better everyday Louis. My Son in Law (#1)'s parents live somewhere between Miami and Orlando, about an hour from anything to do, so my daughter says. I think it's a pre-fab development, or as we used to say trailer park. They were finishing up their summer up here, but pushed on south and got there the day after. Much the same as you, lost the roof of the workshop & laundry room, but no serious damage. Been on generator power till today.

The Challenger is looking sweet, you are definitely a man of many skills.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis, Fingers crossed for the weather for you. I will send you over the additional info/photos I have on the DR1's.
    Love the Challenger, I assume it is the 'Vanishing Point' car.
    Cheers

• Profile Photo

More Fokker triplanes and a Sopwith one !

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rick !
    I have a good friend who retired from the Fire Department and moved to Lakeland, FL. He now lives in a trailer park too. Lakeland got some damage, but luckily my buddy was OK. Sorry to hear about your Son In Law's parents and their property damage. There's been a lot of that kind of stuff happening around here now. Luckily the stuff can be fixed, while individual's are not replaceable. So all in all, we are very fortunate. Things are getting back to normal.

The Challenger is coming along, and I need to finish the spot welding of the outer sheet metal on it ASAP. I have another buddy who owns and operates a Mopar restoration shop. I promised him that he could use my frame rail jig as soon as I was done with it. He just got a 1970 Challenger in as a customer car that needs restored, and it also needs to use the frame rail jig that my car is currently sitting on...
    Here's how the Challenger will look once I'm finished with it:

Here's a few pictures of some other cars I have restored...
    1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, with a 500 cubic inch "Stroker" engine that we used a 440 as the base block. It also has a 6 speed manual transmission and 4 wheel disc brakes. At the time we built this one, we were the first people in the US to get a 6 speed and put it in a Mopar. This car is a real R/T and was originally "Plum Crazy" Purple... just like the color I sprayed back on it. All of my cars are "nut and bolt" rotisserie restorations. It's my other hobby.

This next picture shows a 1973 Plymouth Duster I restored. Here it's on my rotisserie.
    It's a "Lemon Twist" yellow 340 car with a 4 speed transmission. I build all of my drive lines and also have an engine test run stand that I use to make sure the drive train is perfect (no oil leaks, everything adjusted properly, etc.) before I install them in my cars.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the awesome DR-1 photos David ! I was wrong with naming one of the pilots. Thanks for posting the names and photos of the pilots with the planes... These additional photos make me want to restore the old Dr-1 that I built as a teenager... and paint it as something other than an all red Tripe. You can see this model in the back ground of some pictures I posted here during this build log.

The color pictures of the Fokker Green was a great help. Thanks again for that.

(The Sopwith Tripe was a very cool addition too 🙂 🙂 🙂 )

The Challenger is a 1973 model year. The "Vanishing Point" car was a 1970, just like the purple car I restored in the pictures I just posted. They do indeed look very similar, especially from the sides. Good eye ! The 1972 through 1974 model year cars were almost visually identical, with only minor changes made during these years.

The funny thing is that my '73 was originally a white car just like the Vanishing Point car was. The misses talked me into painting it in a very bright red... Ours will have a black vinyl top and interior. The one I found the picture of has these items in white. Other than that it will look almost identical, with black side stripes and all.

• Profile Photo

Today was an awesome day !

I have been trying to figure out exactly how I wanted to replicate the "Fokker streaks"... I came up with something that I think captured the look rather well.

Here are a few pictures of various parts that are now almost completed.

Please let me know what you think.

Here's two pictures of the wings, taken from slightly different angles: The center wing section that was actually metal on the real plane looks much darker than it is in person. It probably is the lighting source.

The stabilizer / elevator assembly, landing gear sub wing, and cowling... The cowling looks a lot darker in this picture. It's probably the lighting source.

The fuselage from the Port side:

and the Starboard side:

and finally a slightly overhead view...this shows the different angle streaks on the upper rear decking.

I also started working on the struts. There were some nasty ejector pin marks on the outer wing struts. I filled them in with Tamiya putty.

I'm hoping that I can get this one finished by the 23rd...

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Louis, I think you've got it spot on, well done lad.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rick for the words of encouragement.

Tonight's progress is shown in these photos below.

Two wings installed and F-102 / 17 is standing on its wheels. I also installed the twin Spandau MG's and the stabilizer assembly.

In addition I painted the intake tubing in a copper color like the French Le-Rhone rotaries were, since Voss flew with a captured engine.

Getting closer ...

I'm trying my very best to meet the deadline of September 23rd.

As usual comments are encouraged. Have a good night.