Sukhoi Su-30SM Prototype

Started by George Johnson · 10 · 6 years ago · fighter jet, Su-30, Sukhoi
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Started a new new project last weekend. converting the 1/48 Academy Su-30M2 into an SM prototype. Started with the interior. I bought both the Eduard color and the Dream Model PE sets. The eduard colors are way off- not even close so I carefully masked off the individual control panels and painted the parts with AKAN Suchoi cockpit blue. I'll add more detail later. The front end of the fuselage was replaced with the optional part from the kit. That actually went pretty well.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 12 months ago:

It's great to see you have started a new Sukhoi project. Can't wait to see more. Will you use any specific conversion set?

• Profile Photo

Thanks! I'm not using any particular conversion set. Sukhoi basically used an Su-27UB and changed a few things here and there. I wanted to build an SM version with canards, but it's a bit more than I want to tackle for fun. I chose this particular version because of the cool camo they used. I found a really crappy kit of an Su-35 ( a pirated Academy Su-27) to experiment on to see if I can modify the air frame in order to put canards on it. It can be done, but don't know if I want to mess with it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Now I got it! When last time we spoke about this I thought you'd need a conversion set in case, with or without canards.
    There is further news for Su-lovers: Kitty Hawk will release a Su-35 soon.
    https://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/kh80142

• Profile Photo

That should be a nice model. Unfortunately, it's not the version with thrust vectoring nozzles.

• Profile Photo

1/48 Su-30SM Quickboost seats. Painted them last night. The cockpit is proceeding quite nicely.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Between you and Halvar, you've got the Russians bracketed! Looking good.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 11 months ago:

That's so true, Greg. I went from building US navy planes to Russian stuff. Who knows what my next kick will be.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Na sdorowje! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Cheers!