Tamiya 1/48th F-51 Mustang Korean War USAF #61044

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 36 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Next up on my Tamiya series build is their excellent F-51 Mustang, with 2 Accurate Miniature Mustangs in the hanger this will be my first Tam build. In their typical dark grey plastic, petite details. Looks like a fun build. Haven't decided yet which way to go with this when it comes to markings. Sadly there appears not too many choices for the F-51 in the Korean theatre. I may do something different other what is in the box. I will use the zoom set for the Tamiya P-51 which the details in the cockpit are closely related. So let see whats in the box. We have 3 sprues of grey plastic with nicely detailed parts, the multi part propeller, clear sprue and the soft plastic inserts for the propeller is included. I love this little detail that Tamiya does and I believe Hasegawa does this as well. As I usually do I prepainted the interior with Model Master Interior Green. I had painted the props blades black when I was painting the props for the Devastator, Lightning and Vindicator at the same time. Next time we start some actual building in the next section.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Chuck, there are some very colorful Air National Guard markings options for post war Mustangs, and that kit would probably fit that bill quite nicely. I think there are also markings available for Israeli aircraft...

*NEW* F-51D Postwar Ponies
  • Profile Photo

Thanks for the referral, something to consider as an option if I don't find anything that will work for me for a Mustang that participated in the Korean War.

• Profile Photo

As usual I will start with cockpit. The details in the kit are well done if left alone just add seatbelts if so desired. Using the PE bits from Eduards zoom set to enhance the cockpit a bit. Using Polly S interior Green and Black for the interior as well as deck tan for the wood floor. The kit seat is ok, just need to add belts and the side rails that were present. Interior Green, Lifecolor light OD for the cushion, and Brown for the headrest. Assembly so far has been a breeze. Next I will finish up the cockpit. More to follow

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like you have a great start on it Chuck. Looks good !

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to the build. Are you looking for a particular aircraft Chuck? I have two books about Mustangs in Korea

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, looks like you have a nice start and a plan. (I miss Tamiya, but that's another talk show.)

My uncle, who flew Avengers in WW2, flew a Corsair in Korea.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, books I love, please tell me the titles so I can look them up on Amazon. There is enough on the Mustang and it's exploits during WWII, but seems lacking for it's participation in Korea.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, this is a much easier build so far. Even the PE process is a breeze and not as tedious.

• Profile Photo

David, thats a great career in the Navy. I bet he had some stories to tell.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 9 months ago:

He did, for sure. Broke my aunt's heart for being a bit of a ladies man, but he was a crack pilot.

I didn't tell you that another uncle (by blood; the pilot was by marriage) was a corpsman on a Navy hospital ship. He's in his 90s now and a widower, but it turns out he was in the thick of it the whole time and barely spoke a word until recently. Treated the Marines hauled out of combat in the Battle of Guadalcanal, Tarawa, the works. The memories were so rough he just didn't want to talk about it. I guess with the death of his wife now he's loosened up a bit, sadly from a greater personal pain. The Greatest Generation aren't narcissists, that's for sure.

• Profile Photo

The detail was enhanced with PE on both fuselage halves. Painted in interior green. Once the bits were installed. Next was to finish up the cockpit floor. Install the radiator under the floor. Will paint this later once the cockpit is installed and the airframe assembled. A wash over the interior to bring out the details. The avionics bay will be painted black before closing up the fuselage halves. Test fit the cockpit into the LH fuselage, perfect. Next some sub assy work. More to follow

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Tough choices ahead

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the title George will pick them up.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great so far!