Tamiya 1/48th Mitsubishi Ki-46 Recon Dinah #61045

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 46 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looking very nice! Mine was built years ago and I used the Eduard PE and the camera and both seats from the True Details resin set for it. The canopy fit is good and overall it's not a bad kit. The Tamiya decals in this one though are not to be trusted. If you use them best make sure that you coat them with Microscale's decal maker stuff. They look good on the sheet but will disintegrate in the water. Ask me how I know. Took three sheets to complete my one kit. Keep up the very nice work!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Lee: The decals in the kit were already deteriorating when I got started on it. So I went with an aftermarket set from Techmod. Nice sheet. Despite that yours looks great. And your correct that canopy fits very well on the kit. A lot of glass that could look awful if it don't fit right. Not an issue here. I like the weathering and the right of amount of paint flaking that was typical of Japanese aircraft in theatre for awhile.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Really nice looking plane...lots of fun, Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Today i will continue to complete the cockpit and rear compartments. 1st installing the cockpit in front some wash will be applied to enhance the details as well as using silver pencil to show hi wear areas. Next install the rear compartment assy and glue both halves of the fuselage, and let that sit. Once that settles, next is to update the instrument panel, remove the detail on the IP and prepare it to install the PE enhancements. Once finished, cement the IP to the coaming and install into the forward part of the fuselage. A little twisting action to get it all in. And with that we are done with this session. Next up will work on the engines and wing assy's. Thanks for viewing.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the kudos, Chuck. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks, kind of you to say. I used 40-year-old Humbrol IJA paint on it with moderate success. I was trying for a worn but functional look. Glad to hear you found a set of quality decals for your build. Keep up the fantastic work!

• Profile Photo

40 years old, I thought I had some paint that was old. Since the 90's I still have some and still shoots well after careful mixing.

• Profile Photo

This session I first paint the engines and inside the cowlings black. Put them aside and next work on the wings. First to assemble the components on the 1 pc lower wings by installing the wingspar and preparing the main gear bays. Don't care about Tamiya's engineering in splitting the bays in half. A seam that is really hard to fill so I let it go. Since the bays are in a Dark Green it won't be so prevalent. I also installed the landing gear struts though bare I left the actuators and links off until the final assembly stage. The front and rear lower wing to fuselage join does have a slight step something work when it's time to clean up the seams. Finally attaching the upper wing halves. The fit to the wing roots is very good here. Next up is attaching the stabs. The airframe is almost done. Next time we finish the engines and install the cowlings. More to follow.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like your Dinah is moving right along... The details are great ! Thanks for keeping us posted.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Louis, though many have said there is not enough details for this kit, it is actually more into this than a typical Tamiya kit. Being that it is a multi engine recon plane, it does have more than usual. But still a good Tam kit for the most part.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the updates it is coming along very nicely. You have done a fabulous job on this!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

It looks pretty awesome, Chuck! Your interior details are excellent.

Keep up the great work!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Lee another fun kit from Tamiya to build, this more of a challenge due to being more involved with a larger multi engine airframe. And the different plastic that this kit has compared to the previous Tam kits.

Thanks Jeff, seems that the PE bits does enhance what the kit is lacking. Reading other reviews on this seems to indicate that the interior is lacking much more than what the PE provides. Regardless it is good enough for me.

Next up is to assemble the engines and install them into the cowls. Again airbrushing the engines black first and then applying MM Steel. Then a light wash to enhance the cylinder heads. Only criticism I will state is the sprue attachment point on the side of the cowl that needs extra attention. After installing the engines into each cowl, next is the exhaust ring behind each engine. Once set next was install the engines to the wings and with that this portion of the build is done. Next prepare the airframe for paint. Clean up the seams and install the glazings. More to follow.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You know I totally forgot to complete this WIP on the Dinah. With so much going on I just realized I had left off installing the engines. This session I will get to the point that it is ready for paint. I had finished off the props, painted them Red Brown. And a temporary fit on the engines. Next painted the IP coaming Flat Black. Then install the antenna. Next to start attaching the clear glazings. Starting with the lower windows under the air frame. What I really like about the recent Tam kits, (well not that recent) how clear the windows are. And even better they fit! With out gaps, no blending. Especially on a multi panel clear canopies such as this Dinah. Most of the prior builds were fighters, single engine variety, with just a canopy and a windscreen. The clear parts for this went on as they should. The only thing is masking all that glass, the most dreaded part of the build even on simple jet canopies. Very little room for error. So out comes the long arduous step of applying the Eduards canopy masks. So starting with the bottom windows, I work my way to the side windows and then with the rear compartment set of glass. The process seems like it takes all day, but to save my sanity, I apply as much as I can in 20-30 minutes, put it aside to do something else and come back to work another 20-30 minutes until I am done. Next time, go over the air frame, and then start the painting process. More to follow. Thanks for viewing.

23 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck,

That Dinah is looking good, and even if the interior kit parts plus PE donโ€™t get all that the real machine had, it still looks busy and very appealing. Then again, with all that greenhouse one really needs to get it properly done, like you showed us here.

Like others here, I too have this kit looong in the stash pile, and also got all the extras you are using, including AM decals, but some how I never had the itch to cut the plastic. Look forward to her completion. Btw, one question: are the engine cowls black or that blueish black like the ones from the Zero or the Irving Iโ€™ve built last month?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Pedro, thanks, I did read some reviews in regard to the interior lacking plumbing and some other components in the rear compartment. The Eduards Pe set did help a bit in adding some detail as well as enhancing what was already provided. I'm not into being totally anal about such minor lacking of bits in the cockpit. Unless it is a blatant detail that needs to be added I will leave it and continue on with the build. I believe they could be the Blue Black that Mitsubishi used similar to the Zero's. Which I will add some blue in the black to achieve that hue when it comes time to paint the cowlings. Thanks for pointing that out.