Trumpeter 1:32 Scale Douglas SBD-5, "Dauntless"

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 8 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I have always loved the SBD, and she has been calling from the stash... Actually there has been a duet from both of the 1:32 scale dauntless kits I have, the -3 and the -5.

So far, the build has progressed rather quickly. I am finding the fit to be very well, and the details in the cockpit, equally fine. Test fitting of major components show some work will be needed on the wing root, but there also, it will be minimal. Everything else seems to line up nicely, and I am hoping to get the fuselage buttoned up, wings and tail attached, and seams cleaned, rather quickly.

Anyhow, here are the pictures, so far. I'm really enjoying this one!

Regards,
    Freddie from LI

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 6 months ago:

That cockpit looks sharp! I love SBDs too, and I love that Trumpeter kit. Got one underway as well, but it’s in the bullpen for now while I toil away on the P-39. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

LI is Long Island? If so, I grew up in Malverne. You know it?

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hi John,
    P-39? Kitty Hawk kit? I heard that's a tough build.
    I am enjoying this SBD build a lot.
    I know Malverne, as my aunt and uncle lived there for years.

• Profile Photo
    Lee Fogel said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looking very good! I've read that it is a fine kit to build. I have the old Matchbox kit and some of the Eduard PE frets for it. Keep up the nice work and looking forward to seeing it done!

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looks really nice, Freddie. I've seen some fantastic builds come from that kit. I might build one someday, but i still have a 48th scale Hasegawa SBD-3 i need to pull off the Shelf of Doom...

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I got a wee bit more done on the -5...
    I put on the forward fuselage, tail planes, and built the wing assembly, (Although that is NOT in the pictures yet...it will be shortly...)

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Some nice detail work there - looking good!