Trumpeter 1/48th MiG-23ML, Iraqi AF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 39 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 7 months ago:

After adding some weights into the nose cone I then install it. Next the rear stabs are aligned and placed into their locating pins on the rear fuselage. After a little more seam work time to install the windshield and temporarily place the canopy in place. Then mask it off. Next to apply Interior Blue/Green over the framing. Meanwhile I airbrush Dark Grey on the nose cone, the dialectric panels on the tail and lower rear fin. Then mask those areas off. Next is to preshade the airframe. Next time we start airbrushing the scheme. thanks for viewing.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Wow didn't realize that it has been a month since the last update. Time does fly. This is the painting session. As usual we start with the bottom color of Russian Light blue grey for the under surfaces. After that shade has been airbrushed. We let it set for a bit before flipping her over and start the topside tri-color scheme. Next up Russian topside Tan. First edging the demarcation line areas where it meets the underside blue/grey. And then filling in the areas that will be painted in this color. Next up Dark Green. Again using the freehand technique no masking other than the hard edges of the flying surfaces under the fuselage. Feathering the soft edges where it meets the other colors. Slight overspray which I will go back over once the scheme is applied. The 3rd color is Russian Dark Earth (more of a reddish brown). Once the scheme is applied, I will go over the Light Blue Grey demarcation line to make it uniform across the bottom as the 3 different upper colors tend to bleed into the lower color, so lightly clean that up across the bottom of the airframe. Then go over the tri-color scheme demask. And let it sit over night before apply the clear gloss for the numerous decals that will be applied on this Flogger. More to follow.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

With the future clear coat applied It is time to start to apply the numerous decals that come on this airframe. I first applied the stencils to the missiles and weapons pylons. Next the national markings on the lower wings and more stencils on the lower portion of the Mig. This scheme has the Iraqi markings on four locations, no Triangles on the upper wings. It took 2 days to apply all the markings and stencils. I thought the F-4 had a lot of stencils, the instruction sheet was vague on where to apply some of the stenciling locations. That made it difficult. Not to familiar with Russian aircraft and it showed when trying to figure out where some of the markings went. The table top clamp really came in handy. Gave the third hand we at times wish we had. Once all the decals are applied, I then apply a wash to grime up the lower portions of the airframe. Once done with that process time to apply the Flat finish, I use Lifecolor flat clear. The next installment will be the final one for this WIP, install the landing gear and final details and will have it completed finally.

30 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Finally the most difficult portion of Trumps MiG-23, the landing gear, more so the main set. The nose gear not so much. Aeromaster War Bird Acrylic Russian Hub Green was used for the wheels, Tamiya Tire Black for the tires. The nose though not difficult just some extra detail bits that are normally moulded on the struts in other kits, are separate bits on this kit, and are quite small. So patience is a virtue. Once assembled, the locating pin is positive when attaching the assy into the nose gear bay. The retracting strut actuator is installed and next the bay doors are also attached. It took an hour to the nose gear install. It took the rest of the day and all of my patience to mount the main landing gears. It actually didn't take long to build the components. It was when it came to attaching the assy into the main gear bays that was the fun part. As was given a heads up by one of our modelers who gave fair warning, this is not an easy process. Funny installing the first one was not difficult, in fact I was elated when I let it set before I went on built up the other side. Getting the other side main to sit correctly was a pain beyond measure. I had installed the LH side main gear first, lined it up and let it sit for a couple of hours to allow the cement to set. Did about the same process for the RH side and darn it would list to the right, detached it and re-installed it and this time inserted a prop to keep the plane level after adjusting the alignment so when the assy finally did set overnight that the plane would remain level. In fact I let it sit all week long before I removed the prop from the gear to see if it remained level. I was worn out. In the meantime I also attached all the gear doors as well. Even now the attachment point for the main gear is very weak, I have a feeling that any jostling of the shelf down the road that either gear will give way and down she goes as this is not a light plane after I hang the missiles and the other items when it is completed. Next up to install the dive brakes which are quite distinctive on the MiG-23. And thats it. Next is the final presentation soon. Thanks for viewing and as my good friend Louis would say, comments are welcomed. Fly Navy

37 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 5 months ago:

I've thoroughly enjoyed following this build, Chuck, and have learnt a lot from it as well. Looking forward to seeing it finally posted in Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

A good-looking build coming on there Chuck!

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, it was a challenge but in a good way. First Trumpeter build in this scale. Didn't take me as long as I thought. Though I did start on it last December I guess.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, now to focus a little bit more on the Jag. Yours is coming out quite well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Your Mig really looks the part. It shouldn't be too much now and you will have it wrapped up. The camouflage came out great. I've been watching your build progress along.