iModeler

Op Granby Jag, in 1/72 (21 posts)

• @yellow10 – Paul – I selected the “Pink Spitfire” markings. Here’s a few pics once the dullcoat dried over the decals. I had already done the paint chipping for the undercoat colors (green/grey), as well as a panel wash just along the moving areas (flaps, rudder).

I’m now doing the intake lip chipping in zinc chromate, and trying a new enamel wash for the “staining.” Hope to get all staining done this weekend and adding the nose probe.

• It is looking excellent Greg – the chipping technique is very effective! ! I’m also glad to see that I am not alone in using post-its to plan! And that is a brilliant choice of markings – can’t wait to see your finished Jag!

• The Jaguar is looking fantastic Greg. Paint chipping is working out great. On towards the finish line I think.

• Wow Greg !!!
    Your Jag is coming to life right in front of our eyes ……………… Looks great too my friend. Excellent choice of decals and if I built planes in 1/72 scale I would probably take you up on the offer for the decals…………… But my eyes are not that good anymore so I stick with 1/48 and larger scales. Thanks for posting the progress photos .

• Well – had a slight mishap – was weathering with pastel chalks, and dropped it – lost the tail, one missile rail and a ventral fin – had to do some reattaching and touch up painting. I just hate it when that happens!
    Anyway – finished with the weathering. Used a new product for the first time – CreateFX enamel stain. I just happened to have inherited 3 or 4 jars of this stuff when I bought out a modeler’s stash a couple of years ago, and the colors matched the desert scheme – I used it for some of what looks like “water-staining” around some of the panels, airbrakes and such. I used a custom mixed (brown-black) panel wash just for the control surfaces, and then highlighted all other panel lines with pastel chalk. Used the CreateFX for some of the oil staining, along with Tensocrom and some Tamiya weathering sets.
    Left to do: pilot, canopy, bombs and AIM’s, jet pipes and final detail paint work (nav lights and such).

• Excellent work, Greg! I really like the look of these Jags. Yours is coming along beautifully.