Op Granby Jag, in 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 27 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

@yellow10 - Paul - I selected the "Pink Spitfire" markings. Here's a few pics once the dullcoat dried over the decals. I had already done the paint chipping for the undercoat colors (green/grey), as well as a panel wash just along the moving areas (flaps, rudder).

I'm now doing the intake lip chipping in zinc chromate, and trying a new enamel wash for the "staining." Hope to get all staining done this weekend and adding the nose probe.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

It is looking excellent Greg - the chipping technique is very effective! ! I'm also glad to see that I am not alone in using post-its to plan! And that is a brilliant choice of markings - can't wait to see your finished Jag!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

The Jaguar is looking fantastic Greg. Paint chipping is working out great. On towards the finish line I think.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Wow Greg !
    Your Jag is coming to life right in front of our eyes ... Looks great too my friend. Excellent choice of decals and if I built planes in 1/72 scale I would probably take you up on the offer for the decals... But my eyes are not that good anymore so I stick with 1/48 and larger scales. Thanks for posting the progress photos .

• Profile Photo

Well - had a slight mishap - was weathering with pastel chalks, and dropped it - lost the tail, one missile rail and a ventral fin - had to do some reattaching and touch up painting. I just hate it when that happens!

Anyway - finished with the weathering. Used a new product for the first time - CreateFX enamel stain. I just happened to have inherited 3 or 4 jars of this stuff when I bought out a modeler's stash a couple of years ago, and the colors matched the desert scheme - I used it for some of what looks like "water-staining" around some of the panels, airbrakes and such. I used a custom mixed (brown-black) panel wash just for the control surfaces, and then highlighted all other panel lines with pastel chalk. Used the CreateFX for some of the oil staining, along with Tensocrom and some Tamiya weathering sets.

Left to do: pilot, canopy, bombs and AIM's, jet pipes and final detail paint work (nav lights and such).

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent work, Greg! I really like the look of these Jags. Yours is coming along beautifully.

• Profile Photo

I had meant to take a pic of the CreateFX stuff I used, for those not familiar with it. Here it is. The one thing I didn't notice soon enough is that it takes more than a single coat of Dullcoat to knock the shine back off of it! I had intended to lay on some oil filtering, but once I got done with the pastels, I decided I didn't want to do so, so a single coat of dull was all I used to blend stuff in. Then after I took the masking off the nose lens and painted the nav lights, I noticed the enamel stain still had a sheen to it. Oh well - it just looks a bit more "wet," which is fine also as it adds a bit more dimension.

Anyway - I liked the effect I got with this and the control I had with it, so will use it again on other projects now that I see how it performs.

• Profile Photo

Very cool Greg. I didn't know about this "FX" stuff. Where did you pick it up from ?

Your Jag looks like it's close to being done.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving my friend.

• Profile Photo

I've never seen it at modeling stores, but craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby seem to carry it. I hadn't really noticed it until I happened to end up with it when I bought out a guys stash - bunch of models, paints and AM sets.

I hope your Thanksgiving was great also!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Greg, thanks for the tip on CreateFX, news to me! Your Jaguar is coming along beautifully!

• Profile Photo

just glued it to the stand this morning - as soon as I get it to the office for pics I'll post it up! I'm really happy with this one - glad the Year of the Cat build pushed me to pull it out of the stash.

• Profile Photo

I'm happy to hear that this GB inspired you to build this one Greg... It turned out fantastic and I can't wait to see the final pictures. Thanks again for participating. There may still be time for another build. If not I understand. Thanks again my friend.