Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-1, 1/48 Eduard 8261 – updated
My second build of the Eduard kits. The model represents Yellow 2 from 6./JG52 in Husum, Germany 1940.
It is mostly OOB except an armament set from Air Master and a resin control column from CMK . I added a control rod to the underwing radiators, navigation lights from clear stretched spruce and a pitot tube from a syringe needle. The antenna wire is Uschi Van der Rosten flexible thread.
The model is air brushed with enamels mostly from Xtracolor. The camouflage of the model underwent some changes during the campaigns it participated in. I tried to paint it in the same way. The upper surface color consisting of RLM 02/71 was oversprayed with the lower color of RLM 65 on the fuselage sides after which the fuselage sides where overspayed with the upper surface color in an irregular pattern.
I sprayed the model with Mr. Super Clear Gloss before I applied the decals. I did some light weathering using Flory washes and pigments, and finally sealed it with Humbrol Satin Cote.
Except that I had some difficulties with assembling the cowling I think it is a great kit.
After my upload I was made aware by the comments that it was more a E-3 than a E-1 variant since it has MG-FF barrels out of the wings. The fix was simple by pulling out the barrels and voila – it was back to a E-1. The last three pictures illustrates the corrected Bf 109E-1. Thanks to all the great comments!
17 additional images. Click to enlarge.