1/48 Accurate Miniatures Grumman TBF-1 ”Early” Avenger, VT-8, Torpedo Squadron 8

  • 58 posts
  • Last reply 2 years, 1 month ago
  • 1/48, Avenger, Grumman, Midway Group Build, TBF, Torpedo 8, VT-8
Viewing 46 - 58 of 58 posts
  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    I was able to get all of the final parts installed today……………. The clear parts and final small bits were glued in position and detail painted.

    Here is how it currently looks after a few coats of “Future” thinned with rubbing alcohol. This was done in preparation of applying the decals. I hope this will help prevent “silvering” of the “8-T-1” numerals and letters on the sides of the fuselage .

    I still have to install the antennae wires and apply the decals.

    She is finally starting to look more like the photo that inspired this build……………….

    Hopefully in a day or so I can wrap this one up. Providing some major last minute catastrophe doesn’t happen……….. lets keep our fingers crossed.

    Calling it a day…………….

    Comments are welcomed.

  • Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    That’s a nice, smooth finish. Looks like the photo that started you on this.

  • Rick Wilkes said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Looks great Louis, you’ve captured a moment in history.

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    The Accurate Minatures TBF-1 “early ” Avenger is finished!!!!!!!!

    Thanks Bernard. I tried very hard to get the finish looking like this. I didn’t want to make the plane look too weathered since it was only a few months old when it was written off at Midway. The time frame that I built the plane from would have been a few months before Midway. I hope I got it right. I like how it looks so I guess it’s a matter of personal preferences. I sincerely appreciate the compliments.

    Thanks for the kind words Rick. I hoped that it would turn out ok. I really like how she turned out. I tried to capture the looks of the original plane and I really like the way the Blue Gray over Gray scheme looks especially when you add in the pre War markings of red, white and blue. I decided that in order to make it look more like the original “8-T-1” then I had to use the smaller size stars on the fuselage sides. I was lucky enough to find some pictures of this exact plane with these markings for Torpedo 8 prior to Midway when they were still at Norfolk VA.

    I’ll share more of the photos during the Group build reveal in June.

    Meanwhile here are a few pictures of how it turned out. It’s hot off the work bench. I literally just finished installing the antenna cables. Earlier this morning I applied the decals.

    Now that it’s done with, I hopefully can get busy on the PBY Catalina.

    Thanks again for following along with this build.

    As usual comments are encouraged.

    Take care.

  • Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Louis, that turned out beautifully. Just a really pretty build, all over.

  • Rick Wilkes said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Beautifully done Louis, I’d have to say she’s just about perfect

  • Tom Bebout said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Nice job Louis, looks really good from here.

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Thanks everyone for the compliments. I am truly pleased with how this “Early” conversion turned out. I appreciate the words of encouragement along the way.

  • Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Looking forward to the full post and all the luscious details! Looks good from here.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Outstanding job Louis looks just as it should. Tell me what colors did you use for the torpedo? Looks great sitting in the bay. As I was getting ready to paint the Torp for the Devastator.

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

    Thanks for the compliments Greg……………… I’m looking forward to everyone’s full posts and photos in early June. Judging from what we have had built here so far it should be pretty nice.

    Thanks Chuck. I used Model Master “Metallizer” Gun Metal for the main body and “Flat Interior Gray” Model Master #2739 for the warhead. Then I brushed on some Tamiya “Orange Rust” pastel from the C deck “Item #87085” and Sand from the A deck “Item #87079” to make it look with a variation in colors as you see it from different angles. the final touch was a light oil wash with Windsor and Newton Lamp Black when I gave the bomb bay a wash with oils.

    Hope this helps you with your TBD.

  • Chaz Sutherland said 2 years, 1 month ago:

    Astounding build Louis. I especially enjoyed the wip-pics of the interior since I’ve always been curious of what the guts of this plane was like. Builds like this are always educational and inspiring, so thanks for taking the time to document an already challenging process.

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 1 month ago:

    Thank you Chaz for the compliments. I was very fortunate to have had access to a real “early” Avenger several years ago. It was a plane that was recovered from Lake Michigan, and has now been restored to a “static” display at the Deland Naval Air Museum. By having access to this plane when they started the restoration, I was able to determine a lot of little bits of information. Now I wish I had taken more pictures…………….
    This one would have been much easier to build had I not wanted to back date it to an early “Dash 1” variant.
    Thanks again for the compliments.

Viewing 46 - 58 of 58 posts